+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Put your hands up. Get down on the ground. if you don't get down on the ground (aka if you don't do as your told) I will use a taser (aka smack you). With little kids it is policing, just on a smaller scale.
    What rot. Police only taser someone who is a danger to themselves or others. You can prevent a child from being those things without a smack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Smacking your child

Put your hands up. Get down on the ground. if you don't get down on the ground (aka if you don't do as your told) I will use a taser (aka smack you). With little kids it is policing, just on a smaller scale.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    That's a whole other topic, but attitudes and misconceptions like that are why the public have such a problem with police being armed with tasers. But as I said, another topic for another day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (07-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    What rot. Police only taser someone who is a danger to themselves or others. You can prevent a child from being those things without a smack.
    The majority of the time yes. What about the toddler who thinks its funny to play with power cords, heaters etc..? And laughs and thinks its a game when you growl, relocate and redirect said child? Electrical objects are dangerous and can be extremely painful, even fatal. a small smack on the hand to create an association of pain or fear in these cases IMO is a much better option than the game they think it is.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (06-12-2012),ToonZie  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The majority of the time yes. What about the toddler who thinks its funny to play with power cords, heaters etc..? And laughs and thinks its a game when you growl, relocate and redirect said child? Electrical objects are dangerous and can be extremely painful, even fatal. a small smack on the hand to create an association of pain or fear in these cases IMO is a much better option than the game they think it is.

We should just taser them, that'll learn 'em.

As parents it's our job to prevent our children from touching these (by having a safe home and in public by watching your kid properly) until they have an understanding of why we don't touch it... rather than 'don't touch it or Mum will hurt you'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

You can have a safe home but there are always going to be unavoidable dangers. I feel for the parents who have several toddlers on the go at once.

I do think there is a difference between a light smack and the boot in the back, massive welts from belt buckles, bruises in the shape of hand prints and whatever else we were subjected to as kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can have a safe home but there are always going to be unavoidable dangers. I feel for the parents who have several toddlers on the go at once.

I do think there is a difference between a light smack and the boot in the back, massive welts from belt buckles, bruises in the shape of hand prints and whatever else we were subjected to as kids.
    I often have 3 toddlers (two 1.5 year olds and a 2.5 year old). I choose our destination based on the risk factor and have to utilize restraints such as prams and for my 2.5 year old a harness backpack.

Does a light smack really work though? I think I'd laugh at my mum if she gave me a 'tap'. Only a real whack scared me into submission.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I often have 3 toddlers (two 1.5 year olds and a 2.5 year old). I choose our destination based on the risk factor and have to utilize restraints such as prams and for my 2.5 year old a harness backpack.

Does a light smack really work though? I think I'd laugh at my mum if she gave me a 'tap'. Only a real whack scared me into submission.
    It does for dd2(11 months) it doesn't need to even sting. Even just with 2 fingers is enough to deter her.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Smacking your child

No I don't think it's ok to smack my child!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

It does for dd2(11 months) it doesn't need to even sting. Even just with 2 fingers is enough to deter her.

A genuine question - I could never "hit/tap/put 2 fingers" on my child under any circumstance, especially a baby at 11 months? Do you feel horrible or guilty afterwards?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Wow, your 11mth old gets a smack even? Does she even really understand what she's done wrong at that age?