+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby refusing Neocate

I need a sympathetic ear...

After DD was eventually diagnosed with reflux and dairy sensitivity we were onto it much quicker with DS (through paed). He has been an incredibly fussy breastfeeder with me having to force him to keep feeding. (Despite this he is a big boy and has gained weight well, though dropping down from 95 to 75 percentile). Plus the elimination diet has been doing my head in and on recently discovering DD is gluten intolerant I decided enough is enough - I need to put DS on formula for my sanity (he is now 4 months).

Paed gave us script for neocate, warned us it was going to be tricky. I have always given him a bottle of EBM just before bed as this is his fussiest feed so on Wed gave him a 3/4 EBM with 1/4 Neocate.....Oh my goodness! He screamed as if he was swallowing razor blades refusing to take it! Had read all the tricks online during the day about getting them to take it and one of them was putting vanilla into it disguises the smell - made no difference. Carried on for half an hour with him screaming his lungs out and taking the occassional suck. He took 40mL in total. With both of us crying I gave up and gave him a breastfeed.

Tonight, gave him 140mL of EBM with about 10mL of Neocate mixed with vanilla. Same screaming, possibly even worse. Tried for half an hour, took 15 possibly 20mL. Totally beside myself gave him a breastfeed then offered the bottle again where he surprisingly took 40mL.

Please someone who has been through this tell me it will get better. I know to get him on it quicker I should be a hard **** and offer him nothing but straight Neocate but know I could not handle the emotional toll on both of us. Also, please don't berate me for trying to give up breastfeeding, I am really not interested in told to try harder, it has been a really hard road and this is the decision we have made.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can sympathize! My 16 month old is dairy, tomato and banana intollerant. Shes alkergic to eggs, but I can eat those. She is slowly getting better. This week I had yoghurt and she didn't vomit! Her eczema is also much better. Since cutting out banana she no longer gets hives after breastfeeds. I can happily live without banana, and the dairy is not too awful, but no tomatoes for a year was really boring. Everything I cook has tomatoes in it. I'm so bored of coconut milk and pumpkin based meals. I took the decision to not be too purist and live with her being grumpy and having to give antihistamines and hydrocortisone from time to time, and keep breastfeeding.

Neonate is pretty unpleasant, I'm a paeds nurse and have fed it to many babies. I would suggest serving it really warm. Really very warm. That's all I've got. Sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    must be a horrible position to be in , u have done great to feed to 4 months! any bf is better than none xx

as for the neocate sorry i have no advise but i have heard it not the most plesent so best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews

My so preferred it without flavour. When I tried it with flavour he wouldn't drink it. We now have the opposite problem that now he is almost 12 months we are trying to wean him off neocate and on to something different and he won't drink that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally sympathise.... I went through it twice. The first time I cut out Dairy, soy, wheat,eggs, gluten and kept BFing for 11 months but in the end I wasn't getting enough nutrition and the stress of trying to keep on such a strict diet was causing severe anxiety and PND. The second time I weaned at 6 months. Both times my babies got better instantly the moment they started taking the formula. I wont lie, It was extremely difficult and stressful trying to get them to take the prescription formula as it tastes pretty dreadful. All in all I think it took a good few months. But both my children eventually did take it. PM me if you need support.
    ps. Also we ended up going on Pepti Junior Gold rather than Neocate.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 06-12-2012 at 06:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DD was extremely sick and in hospital. We had to go cold turkey. She screamed and screamed, she hated the formula. I wasn't able to even be on the room because she could smell my milk and wouldn't drink her bottle.

It took a week in hospital before she was drinking it but not very happily.

The most she ever drank at a time in her whole 2 years on neocate was 170mls.

We had to know before she was hungry so we could have a bottle ready because unless she was hungry she wouldn't have it but if she had started to cry because she was hungry giving her the bottle made it worse.

If your going to give this formula a go you I'd consider cold turkey and let someone else take over feeds.

Have you thought about trying elicare? I was told that wasn't as bad in taste but it wasn't broken down as much so not an option for us.

I was also advised not to flavor it util over 12 months and then over 12 months you can buy flavours anyway.
    Last edited by waterlily; 06-12-2012 at 06:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely understand. DS2 was on Neocate for 9 months after being diagnosed with Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance. He had been in constant discomfort before that and was an absolute nightmare to breastfeed which led to me stopping, and to feed formula as well. We started off on the partially hydrolized ones you can buy over the counter which did not help at all, then progressed to prescription Alfare which worked for a bit before it got worse again and we went to Neocate.

We sweetened the Neocate with Maple Syrup. People will go on about tooth decay etc, but it was only a small amount to encourage him to get started with it and we gradually stopped putting it in. He would drink it, but it would take him forever to finish a bottle. He would stop and start, stop and start, crying and it could take a hour to get 60ml into him. That went on for months, but it got better.

Could you try Alfare? It tastes better than Neocate. It isn't amino-acid based and completely dary-free like Neocate, but the protein has been broken down in it. It ultimately didn't work for DS2, but it works for some babies. From 9 months we did a soy formula challenge (some babies who can't tolerate dairy can't tolerate soy) and he has been on soy formula since then and has liked it much more. He still never just sits and finishes a bottle in one go though. It is usually over 6 attempts before he gets it all down.

Also, could he have reflux? Both my boys had reflux and that is another reason why babies stop/start feed and scream in between and refuse the bottle. The milk is coming back up and burning their throat/chest. I would ask to trial a reflux medication.

Good luck. You don't need to justify your reasons for stopping breastfeeding to anyone - you are living this, not anyone else, and you know what is going to be best for everyone's sanity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witchypoo - He does have reflux and is on Nexium - that was one of the first indicators of the dairy intolerance!

Tried 15mL of Neocate (with vanilla in it) with 120mL BM. Screamed for me so handed over the hubby. Bit of whinging at first then has taken the whole thing! Admittedly he had to stand up and rock him to get him to take it (not easy as he weighs 8kg). Know it is a long road ahead but yay for a small win!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I went through the Neocate refusal & "fights" to get DS to drink. Single handedly the MOST stressful time of my life.

Things I found that helped:
    Really warm bottle, almost hot.
    Try some pure icing sugar to sweeten it up & the wean if off

Two of the most helpful things I learnt however it never took away all the dramas.

We only stopped having problems when we switched to elecare vanilla at 9mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old were everyone's little ones when they went on Neocate? I am hoping at 4 months he is still relatively young and not on solids yet so might make it a bit easier?