+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When and how do you discipline your child?

When do you discipline your child? From what age and would you do it in public or wait till you get home?

Under what circumstances do you discipline them?

How do you discipline your child?

DS is 22 months and is really pushing the boundaries and i am wondering if its too early to give little taps on their hand?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: When and how do you discipline your child?

DD is 21 months and we do timeout.
    It's just a spot on thr floor that is out of reach of anything and she sits there for a really short period of time (1-2 minutes). If she does something wrong, I sit her down and tell her in a firm voice not to do 'insert thing', then I come back and get down to her level and gently tell her why we don't do 'insert thing' and if it involves hurting someone, she gives them a hug.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

tubster  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default When and how do you discipline your child?

I started with my now 2 year old DS at about 12 months, not discipline as such but redirection and distraction but would say things like " thats not for touching " or "we don't hit " "Elijah not to touch" and remove him and distract him

Just my opinion but i don't believe hitting a child is effective and please don't hit his hands, toddlers use their hands as tools for exploring, hitting them sends a negative message as they are too young to understand plus I believe hitting a small child teaches them
    It's ok to hit other people and you want to teach your son not scare him into doing what you would like him to

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (05-12-2012),bressar  (05-12-2012),tubster  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to 'growl' and say 'NO' 'No touch' If he kept touching it I would remove him from it and firmly place him on the floor. when he was older he got timeout in the 'laundry' when it was very bad and that didn't work. This was used for hitting etc . He was a bad sleeper so I didn't want negative associations with the bedroom.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

tubster  (05-12-2012)