+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Doggie doors - what about robbers?

I want to install a doggie door so that our dogs have access to the house during the day, but they are big dogs, a dog door for them would be big enough for an adult to crawl through.
    Would you be insured if you got robbed this way?
    I suppose even small doggie doors a robber could send a child or a midget through and get them to open the door.
    Do you think it's too risky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As to whether you'd be insured best to check with your insurance company but my guess would be yes.

And the thing about robbers is that if they want to get in, they'll get in. I once rented in a house with locks on the windows and deadlocked doors. They just bent the metal frames and smashed the glass and got in anyway. So no, I dont think itsany more risky. They'll have already decided if they're going to break in before they notice the dog door.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a dog door big enough for a Staffy which we keep open all the time but it enters through the laundry and we keep that door locked - we also have back to base alarm system which is pet friendly incase someone does break through.

Not sure how that affects insurance though, I should look into that

Could you have the dog door enter into a room that can be locked off from the rest if the house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's probably risky, especially if the dog doors are in a place that's visible without having to enter the yard? Do your dogs bark if people come near the house? For ages we had a hole cut in our screen door so out dogs could get in and out as they pleased, but we weren't concerned about robbers as the dogs wouldn't have let anyone in the yard in the first place, and you couldn't see that it was there unless you walked all the way through their yard first.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My mum has ahugedoggy door as she has a full size greyhound and it locks. I leave my back door wide open, no one is game or dumb enough to take in my two big dogs as my British bulldog is very territorial and has a bark that sounds likes giant dog

Thanks
    Reviews

The doggy door my boxer (45kg) goes through is actually quite small. Not many adults could fit through it. Maybe if they were small and nimble! It's 25x39cm. I'm not too worried about security because before the doggy door we left the screen door wide open for the dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you had big dogs wouldn't they attack a robber? My dog is placid but if anyone came into our yard let alone house she didn't know she would bail them up. And you can lock some of them when your away with the dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it depends on the size of the door perhaps and if you can lock it? My best friend had her house robbed and they got in through the dog door. They took absolutely everything laptops, tvs, antique diamond jewellery, cameras etc. i'd be super careful and check your insurance policy. I think you prob can get ones that lock and are hard to kick in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a massive doggie door as our Rottweilers are huge (55 kg) anyway our doggie door came in handy when DH locked himself out, he's a big man too! But our dogs never use the doggie door! It's pointless really, they paw the front door for in and out. I suppose it depends on how territorial your dogs are and if you intend on using the doggie door when you're home or when you're away, I also agree if someone wants in they'll find a way but also most crimes are crimes of opportunity so make sure its not visible from the road and don't tell your neighbors about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies! Nobody can see the back door so they would have to be intentionally entering our garden. they would bark their heads off but are big sooks so wouldn't attack them. It might deter a robber entering though. I've been just leaving the door open for them but starting to get lots of moths and bugs coming in! Spoilt puppies, i left the air con on for them today while i went out because it was so hot