Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental Help

Yep - definitely 60 days in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    You said you are in QLD... a landlord has to give 2 months notice if they wish you to vacate, and a tenant has to give 2 weeks notice.
    Not sure about QLD, but in Vic, the 14 days notice by the tenants ONLY applies if the tenant has been issued a 60 day notice to vacate. This way, if the tenant starts looking for another place and finds one, they can get out quicker and not have to pay rent until the end of the 60 days. If the tenant is just giving notice of their own accord (ie the LL hasn't given them notice), then the minimum notice a tenant must give is 28 days. But like I said, that's the law in Vic, it may be different in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Not sure about QLD, but in Vic, the 14 days notice by the tenants ONLY applies if the tenant has been issued a 60 day notice to vacate. This way, if the tenant starts looking for another place and finds one, they can get out quicker and not have to pay rent until the end of the 60 days. If the tenant is just giving notice of their own accord (ie the LL hasn't given them notice), then the minimum notice a tenant must give is 28 days. But like I said, that's the law in Vic, it may be different in QLD.
    Yep, QLD is different to Victoria then. A tenant needs to give 14 days notice on a periodic lease, or 14 days notice at the end of a fixed term lease.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Mo...ding-a-tenancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just curious, in VIC does that rule apply at the end of a fixed term lease? Ie. if the lease is ending on 31st December, and the tenant was given notice to leave on 31st October, can the tenant leave penalty free before the end of the fixed term lease as long as they give 14 days notice? Or is this only for periodic leases?

In QLD, if a tenant is given 60 days notice to leave at the end of a fixed term lease they are liable for rent until the end of the fixed term lease and if they find somewhere earlier they can only leave earlier penalty free under agreement by the landlord.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow only $13 lol our last one was $50 I would be counting my lucky stars over that!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    Just curious, in VIC does that rule apply at the end of a fixed term lease? Ie. if the lease is ending on 31st December, and the tenant was given notice to leave on 31st October, can the tenant leave penalty free before the end of the fixed term lease as long as they give 14 days notice? Or is this only for periodic leases?

In QLD, if a tenant is given 60 days notice to leave at the end of a fixed term lease they are liable for rent until the end of the fixed term lease and if they find somewhere earlier they can only leave earlier penalty free under agreement by the landlord.
    Oh yeah, it's the same here, they will be liable until the end of the fixed term so it only applies to periodical tenancies. Sorry, didn't think of that. Having said that though, occasionally I have seen situations where the LL lets a tenant out of a lease early due to the sale of the property. If all parties mutually agree then other arrangements can be made (like if the purchaser wants earlier settlement and the tenant has already found somewhere).

Just last year I went through a similar thing myself. I broke my lease just 4 months into a tenancy, but the LL turned around and decided to sell the property and he totally let me off, so I didn't have to pay the lease break fee or anything. Plus he decided to replace the carpet to sell it, so I didn't have to pay to get the carpet steam cleaned! Actually, I got a refund on the rent as I had paid a month and moved out a week early!! I was VERY VERY lucky, that rarely happens!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, it's the same here, they will be liable until the end of the fixed term so it only applies to periodical tenancies. Sorry, didn't think of that. Having said that though, occasionally I have seen situations where the LL lets a tenant out of a lease early due to the sale of the property. If all parties mutually agree then other arrangements can be made (like if the purchaser wants earlier settlement and the tenant has already found somewhere).

Just last year I went through a similar thing myself. I broke my lease just 4 months into a tenancy, but the LL turned around and decided to sell the property and he totally let me off, so I didn't have to pay the lease break fee or anything. Plus he decided to replace the carpet to sell it, so I didn't have to pay to get the carpet steam cleaned! Actually, I got a refund on the rent as I had paid a month and moved out a week early!! I was VERY VERY lucky, that rarely happens!
    Wow!!

All sorted now

Real estate just had not got around to mailing us what they needed to mail us. So all good

Thanks
    Reviews

We recently gave tenants 8 weeks notice to leave at the end of their lease as we were selling our property, they found a place and asked to be let out of the lease 6 weeks early, which we were happy to do. Worked out well for both of us in the end, we had the house renovated, on the market and under contract before the official end of lease date!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rental Help

For the sake of $3 I would stay. Over 1 year it's $150 . The cost of moving is more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Rental Help

Could it be a typo? Id call and tell them they mis-typed 10 & wrote 13.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub