+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've lost a lot of weight in the past doing shake diets (Optifast, Kicstart are a couple I used), metabolism was terrible afterwards though so once I stopped I slowly regained the weight again. I also got a lot of headaches and not a lot of energy (which sucks when you want to exercise as well as diet).

Handy as a diet kickstarter if you have a lot to lose but honestly you are better off looking at a healthy diet if you are after long-term results. This is my 3rd time losing a huge amount of weight (38kgs lighter than July 2011 when I had my son). The difference is this time I've maintained my weight for about 8mths (in the past I'd be up and down 5-10kg constantly) and I'm no longer in the diet yoyo, I'm eating normally.

I am currently working on eating cleaner, mostly for my health. I did use shakes on occasions but they were protein shakes and usually had this after a workout for muscle repair not as a meal replacement.

In the beginning I had a food diary and calorie counted, regular meals and portion control, I didn't cut any food groups but didn't overbalance them either (eg. everything I ate in the past was death by sugar or carbs), still eating treat meals and regular exercise (stuff at home mostly, dvd workouts, exercise bike & weights).

PS. I hit a plateau when I was sticking to a 1200 calorie diet (which is more than what some of these shake diets actually contain) and the way out of the plateau was to eat more and change up my workouts so I wasn't do the exact thing day in day out and also having more rest days and treat days.
    Last edited by Misheycat; 04-12-2012 at 22:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Misheycat For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree with the poster who said they're horribly sugary! Just for some info on that...

Tony Ferguson promotes a low-carb eating plan... yet the shakes (of which you should be having 2-3 a day) will be made up with about 200-300mL water (so not much) and have 25.4g sugar in them (that's the chocolate one, but hte others are about the same). It's recommended that an average adult woman have no more than about 37g sugar per day... if you're on TF, you're already overloading on sugar just by having 2 shakes. No wonder they ban excess sugars!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am very much a "shake diets are the last resort" type, as I think most people can get fantastic results by eating a nutritious diet and getting the right amount of exercise.

HOwever in saying that, my mum is currently doing the Optifast shakes, and has lost a lot of weight. Her Dietician, Personal trainer, and GP are all on board with this now as it's working where nothing else has.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shake and meal replacement diets

Well I have recently joined a gym for the first time in my life. I'm taking baby steps, I currently do two- three 45 min workouts a week. I've been trying to eat cleaner and just make little changes to my diet but I find im still eating crap and not being as strict as I should be. I thought maybe if I did a months worth of shake diet just to see if I can do a very strict diet when I know I have to, but I don't know, I'm reconsidering now. Any opinions of other diets, weight watchers etc?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (10-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it sounds like you're off to a really great start. Rather than go for weighties, jenny craig etc I'd recomnent seeing a qualified nutritionist. They'll be able to help you with some great and long term changes.

Good on you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I prefer anything that doesn't 'sell' food or meals. So I don't like ww or jenny. Personally I would recommend any program that teaches you to cook your own food and understand the combination of good fats/protein/carbs you need in your nutrition.

People talk of 'low carb' diets as they think cutting our anything processed (bread/rice/pasta etc) is cutting out all carbs, BUT vegetables for example have great amounts of complex and necessary carbs, including starchy ones (sweet potato/pumpkin etc).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by melimum View Post
    Well I have recently joined a gym for the first time in my life. I'm taking baby steps, I currently do two- three 45 min workouts a week. I've been trying to eat cleaner and just make little changes to my diet but I find im still eating crap and not being as strict as I should be. I thought maybe if I did a months worth of shake diet just to see if I can do a very strict diet when I know I have to, but I don't know, I'm reconsidering now. Any opinions of other diets, weight watchers etc?
    See the book that is my profile pic? Sweet Poison Quit Plan by David Gillespie? He's changing lives all over Oz through his scientifically sound, relevant, helpful, truthful account of why people get fat following the guidelines set out by the very bodies that are supposed to be helping us, and how eliminating fructose from your diet will make you lose weight naturally, while reducing the risk of gout, diabetes, non-alcoholic liver disease and kidney failure that are all direct consequences of the amount of processed sugar in the typical diet. Please read. You can pick up a copy at your local library or at big w for around $22

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Check out losebabyweight.com.au

They have smoothies that aren't like you're usual weight loss shakes.

Thanks
    Reviews

Check out the Healthy Mummy Smoothies.

Way better than weight loss shakes

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry for the double post