+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st pre eclampsia event.

Hi ladies. Been awhile since I posted in here. But I guess I'm just looking for some support. Im 27 weeks and I went up to the hospital on Monday afternoon just generally feeling off and unwell. I had white spots in front of my eyes, double vision, swelling in my fingers and feet and later in developed a headache. My Bp was 130/80 when I arrived and bub was active and had a good heartbeat. There was also protein in my urine.
    I was left for awhile and given something to eat and drink then my Bp was taken again and it went up to 130/90 then 150/100. Bloods were all normal. They kept me in for observation overnight where my Bp dropped back to normal after my medication being doubled but there were still traces of protein in my urine.
    I'm at home now but is there anything I can do to try and keep pre eclampsia at bay? I have another appointment on Friday to test bloods/urine and blood pressure. Then they said 2-3 times a week they will be monitoring me. Before hand they were only seeing me once a month. Any advice ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You sound similar to me. I stopped working at 26 weeks and had weekly monitoring and then I was in hospital for a week around 35 weeks I think. I had the most severe fluid retention and did get some minor visual disturbances - usually in the shower and sparkly like diamond floaty things, really pretty actually. It never became PE and I was induced at 38 weeks. I can recommend swimming or walking in a pool for the fluid, keeping your feet elevated as much as you can. What meds are you on?

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm on aldomet 500mg twice a day.
    They said its still not a huge dosage.
    I see them again on Friday. I also suffer from anti phospholipid syndrome which restricts froth and blood flow to the baby so that's also got me worried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry you ended up in hospital. Do you have an obstetrician looking after you? Perhaps you might need to up the dose.

I'm on labetelol 4 times a day and have just added in aldomet plus another drug. I'm only 17 weeks but mine is really hard to get under control, even on all the drugs its around 130 or 140/90-95 at best.

Can you spend a few days totally resting? I find for me, that does get it down a bit?

hope you start to feel better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews

They have just upped the dose- I'm in the second day of it. And yes I'm under obstetrician care- seeing them a few times a week now. I wish I could have taken the next few days off work but I can't afford it so I'm just going to go in and see how I go through the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe just see how you go till you see the dr again, it might take awhile to kick in. do you have a blood pressure machine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Try to reduce salt in your diet, I found this really good in keeping BP down. So I cut out processed food completely, you'll be shocked when you read labels at how much salt everything contains!
    Taking a stroll in the pool is good. And keep your feet up when ever your sitting down!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dlouise87 View Post
    I'm on aldomet 500mg twice a day.
    They said its still not a huge dosage.
    I see them again on Friday. I also suffer from anti phospholipid syndrome which restricts froth and blood flow to the baby so that's also got me worried.
    That is a small dose, which is good that it works. I ended up on 8 aldomet a day and a nifedipine too and my Bp would still be up. So it's good the meds are working for you. As pps have said decrease salt (google DASH diet), keep feet elevated, try to get to a pool, don't stand for too long. Also have you been taking low dose aspirin before now? Apparently taking it early on can stop PE from setting in, I was prescribed it from the start, could be worth asking about.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yup I'm on aspirin too. Maybe they will try adding some labetelol too.

As much as you don't want to take time off work, if you get more swelling and it goes higher you may have to rest for at least a few days. I've been doing it for 2 weeks now and it's driving me nuts but it does get mine down a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah I've been on aspirin since the start of the pregnancy....for another medical issue. The hospital said I have to go straight up if I get any more symptoms.... I've been at work for 2.5 hours now and already nauseous, dizzy and seeing white lights and double vision. I don't want to rush to the hospital and it be nothing though. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet how serious this could get.