+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need urgent advice - sleeping turning into a nightmare!!

My 17(almost 18) month old is screaming his lungs out each night when he has to go to sleep. He was always very easy to put to bed and used to be put into his cot, left and he will fall asleep. A few months ago he wanted a bottle to soothe him to sleep, but that doesn't work anymore.

Up to two weeks ago there were no problems, except for the usual sleeping difficulties when he was sick or teething. Then we went away for the weekend with another family who had a toddler the same age, and she never sleeps easily. Since then, he screams when he is put into the cot. He stands and shake the cot and only stops crying when me or DH enters the room. He falls asleep if he is on the rocking chair on top of you, but as soon as you put him in the cot, he is awake again. Some nights when he is very tired, he will fall asleep after a about 10minutes of screaming, but wakes 2 hours later and wants to play for the next 3 to 4 hours. That is in the middle of the night.

There is a routine at night. He gets fed, bathed, played and then left to settle down before he goes to bed. I have tried later, earlier, etc. but nothing works.
    We both work and this is exhausting! Any advice on how to soothe him and make going to bed easier, please!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I find older babies are like this - they fall asleep with you , they wake when they realize your not there, - they fall asleep hysterical , they wake up every couple of hours crying again.
    He needs to go to bed happy enough. Not to sad not to excited.
    Have you tried quiet time in his room before lights out? I have been doing this with my 2.2 year old for probably 6 months now.
    He goes into bed 10 - 15 mins before I want to do lights out. He takes a Teddy and a book, I read him the book then I leave his door open slightly and allow him to chill out in his bed flicking through a book while I'm busy reading with my 7 & 4 yr old. Once that's over I head back off to my youngest sing him his night time song tell him I love him and walk out quietly. He sometimes is dozing off before I even go in for lights out

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried taking him to his room, sitting on the floor with him and reading, but he runs around and over me. He tends to lay on the floor when he is tired, but then suddenly jumps up and its off again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This might sound dumb but could it be that he learned this behaviour from the other child when he went away with the other family? Or was that his first time away? He might have developed some separation anxiety?
    Sorry just a couple of thought DD is not that old yet so I'm not much help... but best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh boys! Haha I have 3 of them and the button is always on ADHD mode ;-)
    Obviously each child is different , mine have always been great when it comes to bed except my youngest between 4 and 10 months he was a nightmare. With all of them though we ensure everything is switched off an hour before bed. This just means lights out but tv on quietly for some relax time. They all need to wind down even before I send them off to their rooms for quiet time. I guess you just need to find that damn off button! They all have one somewhere , somehow ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews

It wouldn't be a learnt behavior just from a weekend away with a trouble baby. I'm wondering though was he in a porta cot in your room for the weekend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, but he was very feverish the wekend and slept in bed with us for the 2 nights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    O, and the tv is never on when he is awake. He does not sit still to watch and my husband only watches sport anyway. he is like a little jack in the box. Where did you say was the off button?

Thanks
    Reviews

Ah that's all it takes with these clever vegemites! He knows bigger and better things now and his own bed on his own is just not as wonderful. My son done the exact same when he had bronchiolitis! I only had him for 2 nights just so I could monitor and be sure the predmix was doing it's job and I ended up paying for it for a whole week when he was about 15-16 months.
    I just couldn't keep going in and out It made him worse each night! I actually ended up putting him into bed with a banana! Ops but it worked and once he got over me he then got half a banana and no banana and over the banana. I didn't know what else to do !

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh the off button is somewhere between the clean your own mess and the behave at the shop button, next to the volume control ;-)