+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to full time work after baby - can you share your experiences with me?

Hi guys,
    I'm thinking of returning to work full time next year, when DS is 12 months old. I'm a teacher, but I've always had temporary work and an opportunity has come up where I may (finally) be offered a permanent position. For those of you teachers out there you would know that a permanent position with the DET can be hard to get, so it seems like an opportunity not to be thrown away.
    After working a year or two, I would be able to change to a part time position (after having bub #2, which we will TTC early 2014) and my position would be held for me for 5 years (until the youngest child starts school).
    Financially, I need to work. We are young and we started our family young, we have a mortgage and are paying off two personal loans.
    I'm just worried about leaving my baby every day. It will break my heart. He will be left with DH, Mum and MIL, so no day care is needed as yet.
    I'd love to hear your experiences, in particular any teachers out there. But I'm open to hear all stories! Did you return full time? How old was bubba? Who did you leave them with? How did you feel when you started back at work? I'm afraid I'll find myself bawling my eyes out in the bathrooms at recess and lunch, missing my precious baby
    Thanks everyone xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Returning to full time work after baby - can you share your experiences with me?

I went back to full time work when dd wad 7months. She then stayed home with dh for 7months and then started childcare full time. i felt fine about it she was having a great time with dh and as a couple we both wanted the experience of staying home. dd loves her childcare and is happy to be dropped off by dh every morning. i finish work at 4pm so she hasnt got a really long day which i think is good.
    i really enjoy my work and i think i'd go crazy trying to entertain a toddler a day long.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    pp - If you'd go crazy looking after your own child, then why would you have one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Returning to full time work after baby - can you share your experiences with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    pp - If you'd go crazy looking after your own child, then why would you have one?
    I'm sure it's just an expression, some people need more stimulation than being a SAHM. I'd go crazy too if I didn't work doesn't mean I shouldn't have had a baby.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Addiegirl  (06-12-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (06-12-2012),NikLi  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Bec! I'm a teacher with the DET and I'm permanent part time 3 days (I did casual teaching and temporary appointments for 5 years before I became permanent) I went back to work for the full 3 days a week when DS1 was 14 months old. I won't lie, at first it was very hard and I hated leaving my baby! He stayed with my inlaws for 2 days then 1 day in care. It took him a long time to adjust to care but was mostly happy with Nanny and Poppy. This time I'll be only working 2 days a week and DS2 will spend 2 days in care as my FIL isn't well enough to care for a 1 year old.

I think it's a good thing to be able to return to work if you can and it certainly made me appreciate my time with my son more. I did enjoy job sharing and ended up working with the same teacher for 3 years. Full time teaching would be a different kettle of fish as we were able to share the load quite a bit (programming, planning, reports etc). If working full time will assist you in gaining permanency that would be really hard to turn down!!! Maybe look at it in terms of short term pain for long term gain.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Returning to full time work after baby - can you share your experiences with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    thanks for being so judgemental, that is very helpful hope it makes you feel good about yourself

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addiegirl For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (06-12-2012),NikLi  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Don't worry, I second that, I would go crazy looking after my kids all day everyday, it does us all good to break up our routine with work/Childcare (by we, I mean my family).
    OP, I'm not a teacher, but returned to work part time after DD1 (she had just turned 11months), dropping her at Childcare was hard, she was a very clingy baby. But we soon got use to it, she loves Childcare and I like going to work, so it works well for us. Some days I would cry all the way to work, other days I couldn't wait to drop her off

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Addiegirl View Post
    thanks for being so judgemental, that is very helpful hope it makes you feel good about yourself

Don't stress about these comments. Remember some people don't need any intellectual stimulation

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Chippa! Awesome to hear. I'm in my fourth year of casual/temp blocks and quite frankly over it and ready to have my own classes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back to work full time when my DD was 10 months old. Basically being at home alone all the time made my PND so much worse, so it was the best thing for me & bub at the time.

I would have prepared part-time but it's just not an option with my job.

I think to make it work you need to be super organised and make every minute you have with your baby count. I get up at 5am and do all my house work so when DD wakes, it's me & her time, dito with nights & weekends.

Don't get me wrong, it is HARD and I still cry often about how I wish I could work 3 days & be with her more, but for us, I know that we'll have great financial stability into the future and I just make sure that every spare minute is a bonding, loving time for us both.

Our bond is VERY STRONG!!

Good luck