+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How long for gastro recovery?

My DS (nearly 6) has had gastro since Friday evening (it's now Tuesday afternoon). The vomiting stopped within 48 hours and he has diarrhoea still, though not as much today as yesterday. My concern is that he's still so lethargic and it's a struggle to get fluids and food into him. I keep giving him sips from his water bottle, so he is getting some, but he refuses to have a hydralite icypole. He's lost weight, which is not so good as he was lean to begin with, he's now what I consider too skinny.

I took him to the ED last night because I was concerned about the diarrhoea yesterday afternoon and him not drinking much water, but they sent me home after a 4 hour wait saying he should be fine. They gave me a couple of Zofran wafers to give him to help settle his tummy. He's had one bout of diarrhoea today, which is good, but I'm just worried about how lethargic he is

Is it normal for kids to still be like this 4 days after the onset of gastro? DD got this first, she got it last week, and I had it Friday and Saturday. I was totally fine by Sunday afternoon and am still fine, as is DD (she's 14 months old). I guess I'll just keep giving him sips of water like the ED doctor suggested, but I can't help but worry anyway. He's normally totally full of beans

Please share your stories so I know this is normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Not my child, but I have had a gastro bug since Friday last week. It's horrible I really feel for your little one sips of water and nibbling on food as much as you can get him too also if its hot where you are cool baths or showers will help him perk up a little. Hopefully the Zofran wafers do the trick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We had a really bad gastro bout a few years ago and DS had diarrhoea for almost 2 weeks after. But he wasn't lethargic during that time. I personally have had it really bad for a week. If he's still not feeling better in 1-2 days and still not drinking or eating much def take back to ER. Might need to get some hydration via a drip xx

I hope he's better ASAP gastro is the worst viral illness ever x

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS had a bout of gastro when he was around 18 months. He only vomited a few times over the course of a day, but the diarrhea lasted for a good week. We went to the dr about 3 times in that week just to have him checked up on, but the dr said it's common for the diarrhea to last some time, as the bug does a bit of damage to their little insides (she explained in much more detail, but I forget exactly what she said!).

His eating and energy levels were low in that week too, similar to your DS. I found I could get a decent amount of plain toast into him, so he pretty much lived on that for a week. I hope your LO gets better soon, gastro is so horrible

ETA: our GP asked for a poo sample on one of our visits, to make sure it was just a run-of-the-mill bug, so perhaps take a trip to your GP just to rule out anything more than just a normal gastro bug.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 04-12-2012 at 16:27.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sisters SS had a tummy bug for close to 10 days. It was not caused by the normal bugs and was actually a notifiable illness. I'm not trying to scare you, but if you think it doesn't seem right, persist in getting it checked out.

If he refuses the hydrolites, maybe offer him small amounts of gatorade. I know, not ideal but if it helps him over the worst of it, not such a bad thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

If he's refusing hydralyte, I'd make up a weak juice for him 1/4 juice 3/4 water.
    My DD spent 3 nights in hospital last year from a gastro bug. When we presented to emergency, her blood sugar levels were dangerously low- she was at real risk of having a seizure.
    On discharge, the Dr said to always rehydrate with more than water if they aren't able to eat any foods since plain water can dilute their blood sugar levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks heaps for the replies and tips everyone. The winning tip is the diluted juice one. I just squeezed some fresh orange juice and diluted approximately 1:4 and he has perked right up

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How long for gastro recovery?

Good to hear

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub