+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have rented the same house for the past 7 years and had no major problems but now we want to break lease a month early they are being difficult. The place already has tenants to move in when we move out and it is in good condition so it is frustrating and we may end up having to take them to court
    One of our old landlords broke into our house while we were on holidays and stole all of our furniture, we came home to an empty house and had to take the, to court to get our stuff back plus costs which we won but i still cannot believe they actually stole our stuff as we were fine with rent and the lease had ages to go, they were bizarre landlords.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love this thread...even though it's a bit dated now. Renting so deeply affects our lives. We have an absolutely splendid landlord now. He installed gates for us, immediately attended to an electrical emergency, has opted to keep the rent as is should we renew our lease and we love the house we are in. Our worst was a greasy individual who used to manage a shopping centre. He promised an air conditioner upon which we agreed to sign the lease. Never did it. Never attended to maintenance issues, just gave us excuses. We sweltered through one, long, hot, unbearable summer with me 8 months and then 9 months and then 10 months pregnant and I shall never forget it. Went to the Tribunal who issued an order but still he didn't follow it. Eventually, DH removed his name off the lease, and then simply stopped paying rent for the remaining four weeks (I know, I know....) because we knew we wouldn't get our bond back and we didn't want to end up on TICA either (we didn't). He didn't even follow that up. We provided due notice, cleaned up, returned the keys and that was it. I have no regrets breaching our lease. He was an utter b.astard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are tenants and we have a fantastic landlord. She is open and honest and she fixes anything that needs doing and loves that we look after her place and pay everything ontime. We rent directly through her, she is welcome anytime as we are at her place just around the corner. She allows us to have 2 dogs and 2 cats inside as a pet lover herself she knows they are a part of the family. We are getting a new backyard in 2 weeks as the one we have is basically a swamp! We sure wont be leaving anytime soon, we are all very happy It works both ways...good landlord= happy tenants.....good tenants = happy landlord

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We rented rooms to family and it was a disaster!! Never paid rent and ran the bills up. It was horrible we are still behind because of it.

Angus 4~6~13, loved - wanted - missed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My real estate and the owners of our rental are a dream! We've never had any problems, anytime we need something done they have a tradesman calling me within a day or two. When we moved in a blind didn't work, so the owner personally came out with colour swatches and asked my opinion on what colour i think would be best for the new blind and a handyman installed it that week. The dishwasher was leaking and they sent out someone to fix it asap. I asked for a security screen door for the laundry and a guy called me to come out and measure it the same day I asked! Only just yesterday I noticed the air conditioners need a professional clean due to a bit of mould growth so I asked whether I was responsible for organising it and our RE agent said no, she'll put it to the owners but she's sure it's not a problem. They've also only raised the rent by $5 in 2 years and before they did, our RE agent asked us whether we'd be okay financially if they increased it at the start of our new lease. I think we really hit the jackpot with our agent and owners!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a landlord. I used to live in it but moved out before the renters moved in. I had to call in one day to pick up my mail and the new tenants were chatty. They said "oh you should see the disgraceful state the previous tenants left the place in". I said um I loved here last. Queue awkward silence. I had cleaned my butt off!!

After them some uni students rented the place. It rotated through random uni students using it as a share house for 6 years. I never attended an inspection and after they moved out I went in expecting the worst. It was EXACTLY as I had left it. Couldn't believe even wear and tear wasn't noticeable after 6 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im going back a bit (2003) but...

My real estate and first landlord were fantastic. The RE could not do enough for me! When I moved in, I was single and in my early 20s and the LL treated me like one of his daughters! There was nowhere to keep a mower so for $5 extra a week he did it for me. I had his home & mobile and just rang direct when I needed something done and he was usually there within 48hrs.

The RE were understanding that I worked long hours and were happy to let themselves in come inspection time. There was even one occasion I forgot and hadn't cleaned etc & they told me not to worry as they knew it was a one off and I was a good tenant.

It just made life so much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the most part we were pretty lucky in terms of our renting experiences.

However, on eday I happened to come home from work in time to see a couple of guy jump the fence into our back-yard. I freaked out but confronted them & they said the landlord had sent them to look at a window which needed fixing. I told them that they needed to provide notice if they were going to come on the property & asked them to leave.

Needless to say I called the RE straight away who said they would follow up. Turned out that the LL had told them that could come by & look at the window from the street but were not to enter the property as they hadn't yet issued notice - the guys 'couldn't see properly from the road & didn't see the problem with going into the back yard for a closer look'.

RE & LL both called me personally to apologies & said they would never use those workmen again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just had our worst experience this week. On the weekend we had a trades person come and do work on our kitchen organised by the realestate. While he was moving a rail out of the kitchen he's hit our brand new stainless steel fridge denting it! We had only had it 2 days. I didn't actually see it happen (I'm kicking myself I wasn't watching him!) so of course he has denied it and was trying to blame the delivery people.

The realestates response, when I said how disappointing it is because the fact is before he entered the kitchen the fridge was in perfect condition, was to put a magnet over it! Its so upsetting as we spend so much time taking great care of the house going beyond what normal tenants would do in regards to maintenance to just have this brushed aside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worst experience as tenants was our previous house. During inspections the PM would look for anything to whinge about, once she complained about my text books being on MY kitchen table! Other complaints similar.. The best complaint was upon leaving. Tried to blame us for paint on the back of a door but claimed it was damage not paint?! (wooden colour door & white paint the same colour as the walls), complained that the giant tree out the front had dropped leaves and that the garden beds were "dry" (we live in Alice Springs and it was mid summer).

Now we rent a home from a co worker and she's glad to have us looking after the place but hates it coz we find things that need fixing! The PM gets ****ty coz we contact her but also keep the owners in the loop coz it often takes her 1-2 weeks to contact the owners and then gets in trouble for being slack.

We had rented a house interstate out but that was a dream as we had friends looking after it and they helped us sell it!