+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id love to have a tenant like you! They sound like theyre trying to find a reason to kick you out....i mean, evicting you for not trimming back a plant?! Really?! If you don't want to move, then just be the perfect tenant (basically just keep doing what you're doing). Could you maybe bring it up with the property manager? They should have taken photos of everything before you moved in, and surely they would have notice the chipped tile during their regular inspections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a landlord and a tenant.

Most annoying story as a tenant is losing $100 of our bond as they weren't happy with our repaint of the INSIDE of a WIR, where I swear it was made of the cheapest plaster as it had chips just from a suitcase touching the wall. Otherwise, just annoying things like taking ages to fix minor things.

Most horrible stories as a landlord is a tenant who stole our ride on mower, and another that disappeared without notice owing 6 weeks rent but also trashed the house so it took entire bond to clean and repair the house - thank goodness for insurance.

Best landlord story, we had long term tenants (7 years) who painted a couple of bedrooms and built a dividing wall in a rumpus room to create an extra bedroom and treated the house as their own...... Unfortunately it was always marred as whenever they wanted something from us, they always mentioned the improvements (even though we hadn't even said no), which always annoyed me, as the 'improvements' were always clearly for their benefit, and they tried to pass it off as a favour for us.

Best tenant story, we lived for 2 years in a house that was kind of a private rental (real estate agent collected rent but nothing else), and the owners lived next door. They were lovely, we didn't have rent increase or a house inspection in the 2 years we lived there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tenants & landlords. Your WORST and BEST experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen2010 View Post
    I rented for years and would panic if I dropped makeup on the carpet and cleaned like a crazy person....ie good tenant!

We bought a place then moved countries. Tenants were awful...would only pay a quarter of the rent and cause they'd paid "something" we couldn't do anything. Took 10 months to evict them through a court order (thankfully we took out landlord rental insurance so costs were covered). The poor cleaners that went around after locks were changed found mice living in the washing machine! Sounds like a ghetto but it was a lovely suburb in inner city London! ....= bad tenant.
    You sound like a dream and I'd love a tenant like you
    OMG! People get away with not paying full rent for 10 months!!!

I'm the same with carpet.. I have cleaners come and do the carpet every 3 months just before the inspection, the carpets are pretty damaged anyway from the previous tenants but still.. I like to have it somewhat presentable.
    The landlords were going to replace the carpet when we moved in, but I asked them not to as I was pregnant and new carpet with a new born who would one day be a toddler would have had me in a tizzy lol.

The only thing I have ever been late for was the bond, as in when our rent went up they wanted the extra bond to cover it (it was only $30) but I totally forgot! I got a call from the PM saying it hadn't been paid yet etc etc.. I felt Terrible for it!
    I really can't wait to get our own house.. Renting is working out the be rather stressful for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My current landlords made me feel so uneasy recently when they asked to look at the shower while we weren't home, we were ok with it, but then they proceeded to have a go at us over things in the backyard... and they went through the house I still feel yuck thinking about it and honestly don't know what to do next time they ask to have a look at anything.

Currently having a dispute with tenants (commercial) they dispute some of the area for which they are being charged for so just stopped paying rent altogether in October. Fun times.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pilbarablossom View Post
    Id love to have a tenant like you! They sound like theyre trying to find a reason to kick you out....i mean, evicting you for not trimming back a plant?! Really?! If you don't want to move, then just be the perfect tenant (basically just keep doing what you're doing). Could you maybe bring it up with the property manager? They should have taken photos of everything before you moved in, and surely they would have notice the chipped tile during their regular inspections.
    Yes I'm thinking thy actually want us to move out!
    Reason being is because I know there son and his family have just moved over to Australia!
    At the last inspection the son and his family stayed outside in the car but to me they seemed interested..
    We also had someone come over to fix the patio, it was his son and he came along when it was all finished with his dad and I just get the impression they want the son to live in our house!
    Who knows!!

I would kind of like to move as rent is just getting higher and higher.. For what we have it isn't worth it!
    But I also don't want to go through a bond clean.. Go into a new house.. By that time but our own hose than do another bond clean etc..
    I also wanted to have some "Rental History" to back up a loan for a house.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I'm a landlord and a tenant.

Most annoying story as a tenant is losing $100 of our bond as they weren't happy with our repaint of the INSIDE of a WIR, where I swear it was made of the cheapest plaster as it had chips just from a suitcase touching the wall. Otherwise, just annoying things like taking ages to fix minor things.

Most horrible stories as a landlord is a tenant who stole our ride on mower, and another that disappeared without notice owing 6 weeks rent but also trashed the house so it took entire bond to clean and repair the house - thank goodness for insurance.

Best landlord story, we had long term tenants (7 years) who painted a couple of bedrooms and built a dividing wall in a rumpus room to create an extra bedroom and treated the house as their own...... Unfortunately it was always marred as whenever they wanted something from us, they always mentioned the improvements (even though we hadn't even said no), which always annoyed me, as the 'improvements' were always clearly for their benefit, and they tried to pass it off as a favour for us.

Best tenant story, we lived for 2 years in a house that was kind of a private rental (real estate agent collected rent but nothing else), and the owners lived next door. They were lovely, we didn't have rent increase or a house inspection in the 2 years we lived there.
    Thank you for sharing
    I'm always shocked to hear about how some tenants can just trash someone else's house

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    *deep breath* We decided to upgrade to a house with a backyard for DS to play in. Despite DF being in a good job and having no problems with our PM at the time, we got knock back after knock back. After three months, MIL rang our PM and asked for a reference. She was told we were consistently late with rent, the house was a pig sty with dirty nappies, moldy dishes, animal poop everywhere and that they'd had nothing but trouble with us as every time they tried to evict us, we took them to VCAT.

The injury to that insult was that 6 months later we were evicted so the landlord could move in & couldn't get a place anywhere. We ended up moving two hours away into a complete dump of a house.

The PM there was on a massive power trip. Spoke to us like we were children, Made us jump through hoops for any thing, told me off for having shoes on the floor and lectured me on more than one inspection for not keeping the house like a museum.

The heater broke in the middle of winter & both the PM and land lord gave us the run around. We were without heat for a month & it wasn't until DF told them that we would be spending our days in their office as the house was too cold for DS that they actually started to do anything about it.

Our current PM is brilliant (she was reassuring me at the last inspection!) but I still get anxious having to contact the office for any reason after the one at our last house.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    Our last 3 landlords have been fab! They were fine with our pets and 2 even allowed us to have a cat flap installed. We are very conscientious about keeping the house clean and every house I have ever rented is cleaner when I leave than when I arrive!
    We have had some real shockers though. Generally through uni, I had to take a landlord to court for one property to get my bond back and also get compensation for the building work that was taking place when we moved in (no water, only 1 bathroom between 8 bedrooms etc). They also charged us to have the carpets steam cleaned (fine) but I knew the people who moved in after us and there was no way they had actually done the work (which became more obvious when I demanded a receipt for cleaner to justify the money they had taken and they 'couldn't find it')

A 'good' landlord, to me, doesn't try to rip you off or make out that things aren't right when you leave just to keep your bond. I was furious with one of mine that tried to charge me for a scrape in the paint that had clearly been there when I arrived(luckily I had photos but they were adamant I had done it!). I will do everything I can to make sure their property is well looked after so I get so upset when they try to squeeze money out of me.
    Thank you both for sharing

I'm always worried we will be 'taken for a ride' when it comes to our bond clean!
    I really should have taken photos when we moved in as I just have a feeling things that were wrong with the house when we moved in (there was a lot) we will be fighting against..
    It's just the kind of vibe I get sometimes.
    FX I'm just being paranoid!

Thanks
    Reviews

Our oven broke and it took a month for them to fix it, despite me calling constantly. That was with Professionals Thornton. However, when we moved out we got our whole bond back even though the dogs had wrecked the back garden, chewed the air conditioner hose and DH had accidentally kicked a hole in the wall and did a dodgy repair on it. I think we were just lucky though and they didn't notice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had to evict our tenants after we were tipped off by a neighbour that they were using the garden hose to hose out the tiled areas in the house ... And that they had to keep calling the police because the four little kids were being neglected/screamed at/locked in the yard at night. When we got there to inspect finally they'd installed bolt locks on all of the bedroom doors on the outside 'to keep the kids in'. We had to replace the whole kitchen and bathroom cabinetry because it didn't really survive constant hosing down!

once we finally got them out (long story!) we went around to give the yard a tidy up and had to dispose of more than 20 plastic bags hanging from trees with feaces in it ... Still makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

We had to take them to QCAT to try and get the bond to replace the damage and they offered us $30 (not a typo!) at mediation. I was almost up on a murder charge !!!!!!!

made the property manager refund my entire management fee for the year they'd been in there and changed agents quick smart ...

i want a tenant like the OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The day we moved into our last house, that night I put on some toasted cheese because I was feeling peckish. The griller part up top CAUGHT FIRE and then did this mini flash thing and ceased to work. DH went and told the Landlords (they lived a few houses up) and THREE MONTHS LATER they fixed the grill. Their excuse was they only did immediate fixes on things that were really important or dangerous.

Okay then.