+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tenants & landlords. Your WORST and BEST experience.

Those who rent or lease their house out. What has been you worst or best experience when it comes to the renting game?

We just had our regular 3 monthly rental inspection.. Fun times
    I find these inspections extremely stressful, but I'm glad they get done as it gives me a chance to bring up any issues face to face etc, find out their plans for the house etc.

However! Today the owners came along (stress levels higher!) they are foreign and speak a different language (not sure what nationality) but our real estate agent also speaks their language, so they are looking through the house all speaking about the house we live in.. In a different language
    The 1 thing they did speak about in English was a chipped tile in the kitchen.. It was chipped when we moved in.. I know that for sure because I have always stumped my toe on it and did on the day we moved in yet they all swore black and blue it is a "New thing"
    They are going to look back on their notes..
    Another I heard them talking about was how there are missing blinds! Once again something that was wrong when we moved in.

Mind you at our last inspection we received an eviction notice if we didn't trim back a dead plant within 30 days.. We ripped it out and spent $350 on new plants for the front garden..
    So I'm extremely worried about what this inspection will bring up!!
    We really should have taken photos when we moved in! But you learn don't you and ill do it next time

We are 2 months ahead in rent, just for safety and rent in always paid on time.
    We have fixed all problems with the house ourselves, fitted new shower heads and I backed into the garage door months back so we bought an entire new door this time making sure it was an automatic door! (We have gotten the owners approval for all changes)
    Yet our rent goes up every lease, they will only give us 6 month leases and there is always something they want to be fixed..we also pay full water consumption and we are never late with that either, we have been in this house for 3 years now.
    We also had no working smoke alarms for 6 months and the landlords wanted us to pay for it! after many calls to the RTA they finally fitted new smoke alarms..
    The house was a total mess when we moved in so you can imagine some of my frustration.

I have heard so many stories of landlords having their houses trashed and this really upsets me too

So until we have our deposit saved we are renters!

So please, share with me your experiences (good and bad welcome) about renting or renting out
    I have so much stress on my mind whilst we wait for our letter to come with any "Problems" that need fixing!
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 04-12-2012 at 15:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I wouldn't worry about the tile, even if you did chip it that is something they can put down to wear and tear. You sound like good tenants, they sound like annoying landlords By the way, the RE agent was meant to let you know the owners were accompanying them to the inspection.
    I have been a landlord and had some awful tenants, I let a lot of things go but some tenants think you have to give in to their every request, it can be so annoying. I'm thinking of writing a book on the things I have come across!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You sound like great tenants!

Our tenant is amazing and because of that we have never put the rent up.

If I were you I would start requesting smoke alarms (its illegal not to have them), take photos now and not spend any money on new plants unless they're in pots and you're taking them.

Put all your requests in writing and ask for copies of all documentation they have regarding inspections.

As tenants or landlords both parties have rights and responsibilities. It costs landlords more money to get new people in so don't be afraid of standing your ground if you need to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

You should only be paying consumption on water bill too. I think you should take a bit of control and chuck all this back at them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are renting through DHA. I forgot to make notes of the issues when we moved in and took no photos. Four years later and I cant even get the two missing fly screens replaced because I didnt report them when we moved in.

There is also little bits of damage done by the previous renters by their cats. You can see the claw marks in places.

When we originally moved in my son was 6 weeks old and feeding every 3 hours. So yeh i skipped important paperwork which we will pay for when we eventually move.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have tenants and they are fantastic. Couple in their 60's - treat the home like their own, apologise when they ring us for 'bothering us' and have said numerous times that they will buy the unit from us should we ever wish to sell.

Thanks
    Reviews

*deep breath* We decided to upgrade to a house with a backyard for DS to play in. Despite DF being in a good job and having no problems with our PM at the time, we got knock back after knock back. After three months, MIL rang our PM and asked for a reference. She was told we were consistently late with rent, the house was a pig sty with dirty nappies, moldy dishes, animal poop everywhere and that they'd had nothing but trouble with us as every time they tried to evict us, we took them to VCAT.

The injury to that insult was that 6 months later we were evicted so the landlord could move in & couldn't get a place anywhere. We ended up moving two hours away into a complete dump of a house.

The PM there was on a massive power trip. Spoke to us like we were children, Made us jump through hoops for any thing, told me off for having shoes on the floor and lectured me on more than one inspection for not keeping the house like a museum.

The heater broke in the middle of winter & both the PM and land lord gave us the run around. We were without heat for a month & it wasn't until DF told them that we would be spending our days in their office as the house was too cold for DS that they actually started to do anything about it.

Our current PM is brilliant (she was reassuring me at the last inspection!) but I still get anxious having to contact the office for any reason after the one at our last house.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the tile, even if you did chip it that is something they can put down to wear and tear. You sound like good tenants, they sound like annoying landlords By the way, the RE agent was meant to let you know the owners were accompanying them to the inspection.
    I have been a landlord and had some awful tenants, I let a lot of things go but some tenants think you have to give in to their every request, it can be so annoying. I'm thinking of writing a book on the things I have come across!
    The house we live in now was trashed by the people living here before us, so I do understand the owners being cautious etc.
    I mean it is their house so they have every right to be annoying but we also pay a lot to live here so I would expect things like smoke alarms to be dealt with.. And dead plants to just be a "Can you fix that" not a "You will be evicted within 30 days if the dead plant is not removed!" Lol..
    We do put a lot into this house, for the better so things like them harping on about a chipped tile that has been their before we even moved in can really make my blood boil..
    I'm very happy and fortunate that the landlords chose us to live in their home.. But some days I feel a bit ripped off IYKWIM.. Especially with all the extras we have added.

ETA: it's reassuring to know that the tile might just go down as wear and tear and it won't become a problem
    I get so stressed after every inspection though.. I'm a bit of a worry wart
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 04-12-2012 at 16:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rented for years and would panic if I dropped makeup on the carpet and cleaned like a crazy person....ie good tenant!

We bought a place then moved countries. Tenants were awful...would only pay a quarter of the rent and cause they'd paid "something" we couldn't do anything. Took 10 months to evict them through a court order (thankfully we took out landlord rental insurance so costs were covered). The poor cleaners that went around after locks were changed found mice living in the washing machine! Sounds like a ghetto but it was a lovely suburb in inner city London! ....= bad tenant.
    You sound like a dream and I'd love a tenant like you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Our last 3 landlords have been fab! They were fine with our pets and 2 even allowed us to have a cat flap installed. We are very conscientious about keeping the house clean and every house I have ever rented is cleaner when I leave than when I arrive!
    We have had some real shockers though. Generally through uni, I had to take a landlord to court for one property to get my bond back and also get compensation for the building work that was taking place when we moved in (no water, only 1 bathroom between 8 bedrooms etc). They also charged us to have the carpets steam cleaned (fine) but I knew the people who moved in after us and there was no way they had actually done the work (which became more obvious when I demanded a receipt for cleaner to justify the money they had taken and they 'couldn't find it')

A 'good' landlord, to me, doesn't try to rip you off or make out that things aren't right when you leave just to keep your bond. I was furious with one of mine that tried to charge me for a scrape in the paint that had clearly been there when I arrived(luckily I had photos but they were adamant I had done it!). I will do everything I can to make sure their property is well looked after so I get so upset when they try to squeeze money out of me.