+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all the replies. If you go to Cradle mountain go to Sheffield and see the murals. Also Tasmazia and the village of lower crackpot is there too.

I would pack some long sleeve tops and be prepared to layer. It is a different type of heat in tassie but you can also have 4 seasons in one day. My in-laws went in February and found it very cold. I went in September a few years ago and froze. DS was well rugged up.

There are not many shoppign centres (malls) as such in the NW - ie Devoport, Burnie etc But you can find a Harris Scarfe in a lot of these towns and/or Coutnry Target. Just Jeans used to be in devonport too.

THe PP who said they went to the peacock zoo - that is the cataract gorge. There are lots of walks around there.

City zoo with the monkeys in LAunceston is good too. There used to be a sensory garden as well.

Enjoy your trip

Teh west coast is usually even colder. Rains a lot.

Remember that the roads are windy so it may take you logner to get anywhere
    Last edited by Hullabalu; 04-12-2012 at 18:20.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullabalu For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second being prepared for weather!! We went in the heat of summer and cradle mountain was minus 1!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fullofhope For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I heard tonight that it was freezing today and to pack warm clothes. We are getting 40 degrees here. I can't wait for colder weather!! But I will have to pull out all of our winter clothes so I pack some of everything.

I'm just writing all the suggestions down so we can google.

When I Went last time, I was too busy helping with the move I don't remember much of what I did or saw. I do remember it rained the majority of the time and was -8. So spent most of the time in side. And that was in September a few years back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    Yeah there's a Cadbury factory somewhere near Hobart, I've never been there though.
    Not really worth visiting anymore - they no longer do the tours through the factory. I think the factory shop is still open selling cheap chocolate - but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, not much else to see!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tasmania! What to see and do?

We just came back from two weeks in tas!

Spent a while in Hobart and tbh we were bored. Salamanca markets were great, we loved going up mt Wellington but other than that we were underwhelmed. Tahune airwalk was recommended but I wasn't impressed, port Arthur was an hour and a half drive away and was just ok. There are only so many old ruins one can look at.

Things we loved were cradle mountain. We stayed at the c mountain wilderness retreat in a 2 bedroom villa and it was lovely. If you want more hotel style we ate at the cradle mt chateau and that looked good too. Are you into hiking? Because apart from the tassie devil sanctuary there isn't much more to do in cradle mt! We love all that nature stuff so had a ball. Pure brag, but all the kids including the 3yo did a 6 km hike there! So proud of them.

We also did Freycinet on the east coast (that's wineglass bay). Again it was beautiful. We did lots of hiking again but there are wineries around you can go to.

I'm just thinking that doing all those places will be a bit much driving. If I were you I'd go launceston, cradle mountain then go down the west coast to strahan. Then onto Hobart for a few days. Then either fly out of Hobart or drive straight back up to launceston to leave.

We did Hobart, Freycinet on east coast, them cradle mt. The drive from Freycinet to cradle mt was long and windy. I didn't personally find the east coast amazing enough to warrant that much of our trip. Next time we will do west.

Hth.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Salamenca market in Hobart is great!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shell T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it was cold today - about 17 degrees here in Launceston, but then forecast to be 26 on Saturday.

Boags Brewery in Launceston do tours which are meant to be good value - DH went recently and was quite impressed with the nice cheese and beer tastings they got at the end.

A few nice restaurants in Launceston around the waterfront and in town. Make sure you visit the Gorge in Launceston - quite a spectacular walk and a couple of nice restaurants to choose from, chairlift is a bit of a tourist attraction too.

Saturday's there is a really good farmers market - quite close to the city centre with lots of yummy food stalls as well as the usual fruit and vege.

A drive around the Tamar Valley wine region is worth it, lots of nice scenery and wineries etc.

Bridport is a about an hours drive away on the coast and is a nice little beach resort type town.

NW coast up to Stanley and "the Nut" for some great scenery and nice coastal views along the way.

MONA Museum in Hobart is worth a visit too (not suitable for kids) - has some weird stuff, but we enjoyed it and I have heard lots of people say the same thing.

Have fun!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anvers Chocolates is about an hours drive from Launceston - just before you get to Devonport. Mmmm yum! Well worth a visit!! It is just outside a little town called Latrobe which is also worth visiting just to go to a shop called Reliquaire (google it) it's full of all sorts of toys and furniture and costumes and kids clothes and games and toys.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    Anvers Chocolates is about an hours drive from Launceston - just before you get to Devonport. Mmmm yum! Well worth a visit!! It is just outside a little town called Latrobe which is also worth visiting just to go to a shop called Reliquaire (google it) it's full of all sorts of toys and furniture and costumes and kids clothes and games and toys.
    Also on the drive is The raspberry farm which have amazing food, Then Ashgrove cheese.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (04-12-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (05-12-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

OMG reliquaire is AMAZING!!! Seriously, they're coffee and fudge is to die for!!! But I wouldn't take young kids in there tbh.

Spotty socks - how awesome is that staircase of dolls and bears when you first walk in?

Man I feel homesick

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post: