+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How and when to introduce meat?

DD is now 8 months old (wow can't believe that!) she's BF still with one meal and another small snack/half meal of solid foods.
    so far she's had fruit and vegetables and today she ate a tiny bit of pasta.
    She tried turkey once it was off my plate and she seemed curious so I gave her some and she liked it, I should also mentioned we are doing a mix of pure and BLW style. So to my question MEATS, my mum's been pushing for me to give her meat, I think its too early, does she need meat? How and when did you introduce meat in your bubs diet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Purée and BLW???

Not long ago in another thread you (maybe started) you asked about baby meal ideas, I posted a recipe for beef and veggies purée. My ds loved it. From memory ( if you cant find it), it was:
    - beef (like gravy beef)
    - 1 bay leaf
    - peas
    - sweet potato
    - carrot
    - water to cover
    simmer until meat is tender, 2hrs aporox. Then purée or mash. I also added some rice.
    Freeze in small containers or icecubes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I introduced chicken first around 2months after starting solids. If pureeing, just poach it, chop it and blend it through with the veggies you are using.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I make either a casserole or apricot chicken- cubed meats slow cooked in some kind of liquid in the oven so it's really tender, which I fork mash and add to mashed or puréed veggies.
    I have also done beef or chicken mince, fry in pan until cooked, add flour and stock to make it into a "gravy" and add to veggies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    I introduced chicken first around 2months after starting solids. If pureeing, just poach it, chop it and blend it through with the veggies you are using.
    Yes, I also poach and cut finely to add into veggies.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I cant remember how old he was but DS first taste of meat was a giant steak that he just gummed to death. He loved it!! Obviously had to watch him carefull to make sure he didnt get any big chunks but it was mostly the flavour and texture he was experiencing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll have to go fishing for that thread... Thanks for posting again, I haven't been mixing things too much, just 2 ingredients at a time so far but I suppose she can probably go for some more variety.
    I know I know pure and BLW, that's why I put the style after BLW! She just seemed to never get enough in and she'd get frustrated to I've been pureing stuff like avocado and zucchini bananas ecc... and giving her carrot sticks and rock melon and watermelon sticks that she can suck munch on herself... don't know if you can call it BLW... more like whatever doesn't make a HUGE mess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DS had salmon at 6 months, chicken ,white fish and prawns at 7 months, lamb and beef at 8 months, turkey and crab at 9 months I think

I find most babies don't like the texture/taste of red meat at that age DS really only got into it at about 12 months but loved fish early on

I did BLW so would grill or poach or bake fish and poultry and give him flaked fish or chicken strips, lamb cutlets are great to give as they are easy to hold and they gum off little bits of flesh and suck the juice!

I used to also make salmon or chicken nuggets, mini meat balls so they were easy to hold or add salmon or chicken to pasta or beef bolognese or my mild version of chili con carne was always a hit (but very messy!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    I'll have to go fishing for that thread... Thanks for posting again, I haven't been mixing things too much, just 2 ingredients at a time so far but I suppose she can probably go for some more variety.
    I know I know pure and BLW, that's why I put the style after BLW! She just seemed to never get enough in and she'd get frustrated to I've been pureing stuff like avocado and zucchini bananas ecc... and giving her carrot sticks and rock melon and watermelon sticks that she can suck munch on herself... don't know if you can call it BLW... more like whatever doesn't make a HUGE mess
    Thats cool, was just having a laugh cause of that other thread!

Thanks
    Reviews

DD was about 8 months old. (We introduced foods with Recommendation of a pediatric dietician). She told us to try lamb first. We used to make lamb casserole then we started chicken. I would make chicken casserole, chicken curry, apricot chicken and rice etc..
    I used my slow cooker for everything.

DD has always loved her meat, She will eat any type of meat. Everyone is amazed because she even eats steak.

Me and DH are both vegans so its strange having such a carnivore in the house
    Last edited by waterlily; 04-12-2012 at 06:30.