+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why is the surname ignored?

It's very common, but people are always very concerned with the first and middle name sounding good, but to me it's far more important that the first and surnames sound ok (as some of you would remember from my recent thread).

Just wondering why people worry more about the first and middle name?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When picking a name it would be important to me BUT when asking others opinions online I wouldnt want to add the surname for privacy reasons.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i don't think it is.

We always considered how the names would all sound together.

I wouldn't share the full name on a public forum for privacy reasons, but it doesn't mean i didn't think about it.

I wouldn't use a name starting with "A" as our last name is a noun and the initial + last name would be "A. item"

I wouldn't use the name William, because the nickname would sound ridiculous against our surname etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

First and middle names had to match the last name. They also had to be short as our last name is quite long.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with others that I would never share the full name on a public forum but when picking DD's name we took into account all three sounding good together, which they do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

You mean in real life I assume? (only a few have ever posted their surname here, rather foolish if you ask me).

With both my kids the surname was very important, in fact neither have middle names so it was important that the names went well together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    interesting....

I don't mind sharing, this is the only forum I am on that's anonymous, others I am on have your real name under your screen name so it doesn't bother me.

I guess I just don't understand asking for opinions if the surname is important when you don't share the surname as really you don't know what you are giving an opinion on.

Each to their own, I really don't mind either way, I was just curious and I honestly didn't think of people having an issue with sharing a surname, guess it's different exposure to different forums.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    When picking a name it would be important to me BUT when asking others opinions online I wouldnt want to add the surname for privacy reasons.
    Yes agree with this 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Last name was considered here. Ends with an 'n' sound so wouldn't use something like Susan or Lillian because it would sound dumb.

Its just that I'm not putting up my kids entire name on a public forum that anyone can google.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I've rarely seen someone share their surname on here. Often they will state what it sounds like or what it begins with.

Maybe they are already happy with how their choices sound with the surname but can't pick one.