+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Centrelink Debts - someone make sense of this

Ok, currently Centrelink has decided I now have 2 debts with them, one for FTB and one for my SPP.

According to them I under estimated my income and was therefore over paid my FTB last financial year, however it has always been my understanding that as a single mum I simply report my income and my PENSION is reduced as a result, is this correct?

Secondly they are saying I didn't report my final pay from my last job 12 months ago, at the time my ex employee was withholding my income and I actually rang them and explained the circumstances, they advised me as I was paid 0 to report 0 income. When I was finally paid and received my group certificate I took it straight in and had them fix it up and they deducted my next payment in accordance to what I received. So how do I now have a debt?

I have done my tax, I was paid the supplements. I have been a single mum all this time. The only thing that has changed this year has been numerous child support assessments due to ex changing jobs, yet they claim it is my fault for under estimating?!?

Does any other single parent need to estimate their annual income? I do plan on going in but was hoping someone may know what the hell is going on before I go in and flip my lid at them!

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As far as I know you report your income ftn and yes they reduce your rate of parenting payment accordingly. Correct.

You also do an estimate of what you think you will earn over the year. They then pay you what you are entitled too in ftb according to your estimate.

If your estimate is way over or under they reconcile this at tax time. What did you say you we're going o earn and what did u actually earn?

About the final pay thing they must have a record of that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    As far as I know you report your income ftn and yes they reduce your rate of parenting payment accordingly. Correct.

You also do an estimate of what you think you will earn over the year. They then pay you what you are entitled too in ftb according to your estimate.

If your estimate is way over or under they reconcile this at tax time. What did you say you we're going o earn and what did u actually earn?

About the final pay thing they must have a record of that.
    I've never had to estimate my income as a single mum? This is what confuses me, I thought it was only subject to your CSA?

And yes they better have a record if me going in, they called my ex employee and all, there has to be something to prove I did the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi yes, you do also need to provide an income estimate

Thanks
    Reviews

So why have I never done it and need got a debt yet last financial year when I worked my least amount of time (4 moths) as a single mum I get a debt yet they give me my full supplement?

I thought only partnered parents had to report annual income?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually rang and spoke to them today about this, as I got a letter from them, just a standard summary thing they send out every so often, and it had my annual income down as $117. I work part time so that would not be accurate at all! But yes she told me that I do not need to provide an estimate, as my way of doing that is with fortnightly reports.

I would ring and speak to someone, 3 times. I find I always have to ring CL 3 times about the same thing as then you can take the most common answer LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews

A yearly estimate could be very different from the fortnightly amounts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Centrelink Debts - someone make sense of this

Anyone entitled to FTB has to give an income estimate to determine their FTB and CCB entitlement.

Your PPS is reported fortnightly to determine your fortnightly payment.
    I think the information you were given about reporting $0 when your employer withheld payment is incorrect. I've always been told you have to report the amount you are meant to be paid regardless of whether you've got it or not.
    The fact that you fixed it up later on should mean there is no debt though. Centrelink make mistakes, quite often in fact! So i think disputing the debt/ asking for further explanation is warranted.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by HarvestMoon; 04-12-2012 at 06:45.

Thanks
    Reviews

Fortnightly earnings you report effect the rate of parenting payment.

Your income estimate (done over the phone or online services) which can be updated anytime determines your FTB payments, from my knowledge but I'm no expert as I don't receive any payments currently.

Thanks
    Reviews

I know a lawyer who deals with Centrelink cases to get debts cancelled, google Think Legal .. He used to work for Centrelink