+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Vegetable serving & advice - 15mth old

My 15mth DS has always been a brilliant eater, trying everything we have given him and rarely found a food he doesn't like. But this past month, he has gone really backwards with his vegetable intake.

He will not eat any veg finger foods, or if there are 'bits' inside say a salmon & veg pattie - he will pick them all out the little bugger! The only thing I've been occasionally able to feed him is puréed carrot/pumpkin. We got past puréed a long time ago.

Has this happened to anyone else? How do I ensure he gets his daily servings? At this age, what exactly IS a serving size of vegetables?

Meat/Fruit/Eggs/Bread etc we have no issue with - it's just vegetables now. He hasn't started the 'fussy toddler' phase already has he?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites...the_111212.pdf

This is the new dietary guidelines coming out next year - the recommended veg and fruit intake for toddlers (12-23 months) is 2-3veg (75g each) and 1/2 fruit serve per day (150g) so that would be say 1 small apple, 1 small corn cob, 1 small carrot and 2 broccoli spears throughout the day
    Maybe try him on some different veggies? Does he like raw peas or capsicum? Asparagus, bok Choy or maybe beetroot? Even raw carrot/capsicum/cucumber sticks with dips?

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks EM - I've tried everything! Even his favorites like beetroot he won't have a bar of. He never used to be fussy, even eating broccoli no problems.

I've given him sticks with dip as I'd read that tip on here previously - he just licks the dip off the end

Thanks
    Reviews

I think don't be afraid to puree when they are going through a fussy stage. Just couple of ideas that I have done over the years:

- pasta with blended veg sauce - tomato, Zucchini, carrot whizzed up and tossed through with cheese
    - sausage rolls with grated carrot and zucchini
    - mini quiches with puréed veg
    - Lasagne / spaghetti Bol with blended veg
    - crispy bread rolls with blended veg (whatever you have handy) soup
    - shepherds pie with grated carrot and mashed peas& corn
    - lentils mash up really easily in anything, esp curries. I do a yummy green veg curry, and just mash the pumpkin, zucchini and lentils. Add a little extra coconut milk and both kids (3 & 1) love it
    - risotto with mashed or blended pumpkin / mushroom / spinach etc. Roast capsicum cooks down really well in a risotto and makes it nice and sweet

I have had to be a bit sneaky at variuos stages, as my 3 yr old has gone through some funny periods, but now he will eat pretty well everything. Don't be afraid that you will make them fussy by pureeing etc, I think it I just a stage (for most, anyway)

Also, Google veggie smugglers - she has some great ideas :-)

Hope that helps!

ETA: what I also found helpful for DS was having him help prepare the meals. your DS is probably a bit young, but when when he shows an interest it might help
    Last edited by sunshine81; 03-12-2012 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews

And a link to a thread I posted a little while back. Might have some tips for you :-)

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ing-vegetables

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much, some great tips in there!

So if I'm going to blend veggies to hide in sauces etc, how do I know if he's getting his recommended serves per day? He has his fruit/protein/grains no problem.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmm, someone else might have some suggestions on recommended serves.

I just try and offer a variety at lunch & dinner, and hope it adds up :-) I think as long as you are giving fairly natural foods, with little processing, you should be on track. :-)
    Last edited by sunshine81; 05-12-2012 at 18:57.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine81 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't stress about the exact serving size. As long as you offer a variety and don't turn it into a battle.
    I watched a doco on sbs about food adversions and children who had gotten to the point of only eating bread or bland puree due to many reasons and the OT helping the families said
    -some children don't need as much as we think they do
    - kids pick up on our anxiety
    -kids need to handle and explore the food so we shouldn't try to keep them so clean all the time and allow them to handle the food
    He may also have sore teeth/gums or a hundred different reasons for not wanting to 'bite'.
    If you can, sit down without distraction and enjoy each others company for meals without making it about how much is consumed.
    You will one day wish he would get his head out of the fridge/pantry for five minutes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    how long has he been turning off his foods for?? If it has only been a few days I wouldn't worry.

The quality (and quantity) of a diet should be measured over a week, not over a day so if he has just gone off his veg for a few days it really isn't anything to worry about.

I'd just keep offering his faves. Add in a few new options for variety (he might decide he like something new) and add in extra hidden veg.

A good option i use for my girls is meatballs. tonight, I blended in carrot, mushroom, cauliflower and zucchini and you couldn't even see it!

Thanks
    Reviews

It's been a month now. I was thinking teeth, but he'll happily chomp on a lamb cutlet and bite in to all other finger foods. Just flat out refuses his vegetables now.

I'll try and hide as many as possible in foods for now then, thanks. I guess I was more worried about the quantity, but as long as he's getting some its better than nothing I guess!