+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nikon or Canon?

Hi all! My DH is buying me a camera for Christmas and I am stuck deciding between the Nikon d5100 and the Canon 600d. I am only a beginner and want to use the camera for a range of things including pictures of my beautiful DD, landscapes, family photos etc. I don't want to go the Nikon d3100 because I want something a little bit up from entry level.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one is better or if there is perhaps a better one out there? Price range not over $1000.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think your best bet is to go in store and play around with both, that will give you an idea of which one you like better. Both are great brands so I say go with whichever feels better to you.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 03-12-2012 at 18:18.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Nikon or Canon?

Nikon and canon is the same fight as apple vs PC.

It's really a personal preference. I personally think Nikon is much better especially with all their latest models! They have added and upgraded a lot more then canon.

DH is a photographer and will only use Nikon.

Go in, play with both and see which one you like best.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a canon lover, and have just upgraded to the canon 60d. Have you looked at the 650D at all? It was the next best choice for me when I was looking. But I just couldn't go past the 60.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Nikon or Canon?

I am a Canon girl the 600D/650D are both good choices and if you wanted to spend a little less you can still get the 550D's

I have a 600D and love it, you can get some amazing shots on it. But I'm ready to upgrade.

Definitely go and play with the camera's and see which one you like best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nikon or Canon?

Oooh. New camera so exciting!

I'm a canon user myself!

As an amateur enthusiast I have joined my local photographic club to improve my photography. That may be a good place to start. Talk to others and check out what gear they are using!

FWIW I read after buying my first DSLR that unless you are turning pro and doing photography professionally the bodies generally all do the same thing.

Your money is better spent buying top quality lens'

Hence why I have kept my 550d and am gradually upgrading to prime lens and better quality zooms!

Please bear in mind I'm no pro but just wanted to share another angle!

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Nikon or Canon?

I got a Nikon d5100 for my birthday this year and it is amazing!

I'm a complete beginner and started on auto and now learning all the manual bit's. I have taken some amazing photos so I highly recommend it

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nikon or Canon?

I have a Nikon d3100, love it!
    Purchased it from reviews I got in here

It's sparked a new hobby in me and I'm going to take a photography course in the new year.

Dh also had to go out an but a new camera, he has always had cybershots but this time decided to buy a Nikon and hasn't looked back.

ETA: a friend I have made through my hobby does professional photography she too only uses nikon.
    I will look at upgrading after my corse, but the d3100 has been faultless for me.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 03-12-2012 at 19:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nikon or Canon?

I recently bought a canon 650d and LOVE it. I was 100% sold on getting a Nikon d3100 after reading the reviews but after I tried it out in the shop alongside a canon 550d I decided I liked the feel of the canon (better grip). They basically are very similar spec wise.
    So back to the computer I went to see what the best price I could get one for and I stumbled upon Kogan. I managed to pick up the 650d with basic lens for $635!!! (And was only just looking at it in the shops for $999!!! I highly recommend you try one out in a shop and but it online (from a reputable on seller). Kogan are classed as grey imports and therefore you pay ALOT less then retail (no duty tax, retail overheads etc). There are some great dslr forums you can go on to get ideas or failing that, try YouTube - they have road tests and reviews on nearly all the models available.
    I went the 650d as it had a higher pixel count on the LCD screen (so you check out wether the shot you just took really is good, instead of uploading it to the computer to find it was slightly out of focus iykwim?).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nikon or Canon?

I'm a canon person all the way!