+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spinoff BLW vs Purée

My DS is 7.5 months old. I cannot compare as I only have one child and I don't judge what other parents do with any parenting decision.

In the end we are all teaching our children how to eat solids. It is just a different learning process. In adult led weaning a child learns to swallow first whereas BLW a child learns motor skills and chewing first. I don't believe either is better, just different and what works for the parents and children. In the end they all learn to eat.

For us, BLW was the way we wanted to approach weaning. I wanted my DS to discover food with all his senses (taste, texture, sight etc) and to participate in eating together. I also love the idea that he eats what we eat.

The choking side of things - is up to the parent if they are comfortable to do this. I am there the entire time DS eats and also researched how a child learns to swallow. If the child is in control of putting the food in his mouth he can also control his swallowing. DS always gags the food from the back of his mouth if it is too big or he is not ready to swallow. He did this from the first time we started BLW and I felt confident from then on that he knew what he was doing. There is a massive difference between gagging and choking.

Laziness - I don't believe I am lazy. I have to always make sure I am cooking healthy meals as whatever we eat DS eats. No added salt or sugar. Always make sure it is varied so he can try different things. For us it is great because we aren't having the same meals every week anymore and makes food more exciting. It is definitely messy and I love the Ikea high chair as I can just shake and wipe.

At the moment he is a great eater. At first he was just learning to get the food to his mouth and now he is purposefully eating. He will try anything. I give him at least 2 different types of food per meal. Some days he feels more like carbs. Other days more meat or fruit or veg. I love watching him decide what he wants. And when he is done he is done.

I don't believe he has ever been left hungry as whichever food he is more interested in at the time, i will keep giving him more until he doesn't want it anymore. I also believe food before 1 is just for fun.

DS does not nurse all through the night.

I continue to BLW because we have fun doing it. I've never had to fight to get him to eat, it's always a fun time to eat and I love watching him advance every day. For example he can now pick up small bits of food and never misses his mouth. His first food was a floret of broccoli and it was so cute. When he first had banana he mushed it all up but now he knows not to hold it too hard so he can get it in his mouth. When he eats nectarines and peaches he always spits out the skin. It is amazing what he can chew with no teeth! Sometimes he uses his fingers to hold food in his mouth so it doesn't fall out when chewing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy Bee For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (04-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I Did blw with my now 2 yr old dd. We did because dd would refused every type of purée offered to her and refused to let us spoon feed her, I actually learnt about it on Bubhub and the reasoning behind it makes a lot more sense. Dd is a great eater and was spoon feeding herself quite early.
    The issue I have with puree fed is that I find (from working in childcare) that a lot of parents don't know how to move on from the pureed food so keep giving it well past an age where they should be onto finger foods (I'm not trying to offend this is just MY personal experience with parents I know who have puree fed, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do not do this) I don't really care if someone wants to do things a different way it's their life I personally don't wish to be spoon feeding mush to my 2 yr old.
    Also the lazy comments really bug me because there is just as much work involved except I'm not lifting the spoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think I will stick with a mixture for DD. with regard to farex, I don't want to use it, but I have seen a whole meal version made by Rafferty's. Does anyone know if this is any good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think I will stick with a mixture for DD. with regard to farex, I don't want to use it, but I have seen a whole meal version made by Rafferty's. Does anyone know if this is any good?
    I'm pretty sure it's made with brown rice which is much better!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's made with brown rice which is much better!
    Thanks, I thought that was the case! It's so hard to know what is good for them these days, you just can't believe every food label!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I used to make my own "cereal" for DS - just organic puffed quinoa ( looks like tiny rice bubbles) with his formula , I made it for my SIL who wanted to start with purees, so I ground the quinoa into a powder with a coffee grinder and she just added formula!
    Quinoa is a super food, easy to digest, gluten free and naturally contains all amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (05-12-2012),PR2bMum  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I used to make my own "cereal" for DS - just organic puffed quinoa ( looks like tiny rice bubbles) with his formula , I made it for my SIL who wanted to start with purees, so I ground the quinoa into a powder with a coffee grinder and she just added formula!
    Quinoa is a super food, easy to digest, gluten free and naturally contains all amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
    GREAT idea!

Thanks
    Reviews

Haven't had time to read all the replies but just wanted to say some people are very for others against. I really think it depends on the child.

I cooked and did purée with my first, she was not a big eater and would choke on purée let alone anything else my second I tried purée but found he ate a lot better with us on his own, i didnt realise it had a name but we started him with bwl, his one of those kids that hates being fed. I gave him a spoon very early on, now at almost 22mths he eats soup independently, without a lot of mess.
    BLW is messy-ish but not that bad, we just always do it in the high chair.

I never would have done this with my first, I really believe it depends on the child.
    DS is a great eater I don't think he has ever gone hungry, he was born 4kgs, and weighed 12kg at 12mths, so I don't agree BLW babies go hungry- if they are maybe they're more of a purée baby then ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't really understand why anyone would think that BLW babies go hungry? It doesn't take long for them to get the hang of picking up food and putting it in their mouths, and at that age they are still very dependent on milk for their primary nutrition anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was really interested in doing BLW from the start this time, but my baby was more hungry than capable so I gave him puree.
    There was no way he would have been able to feed himself at 5 & 1/2 mths, and he was definitely ready for more food than breast milk.
    He's 7mths now and we're trying bits and pieces here and there.
    I have to get him used to not sucking the food down whole like he takes it off the spoon, heart attack city!