+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Spinoff BLW vs Purée

Spinoff from the other thread.

I always thought purée was for babies, finger foods as they get older. Now I see some people judge others for purée feeding, and I'm sure it happens the other way too.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, 11 wk old dd will start with purée.

So, who does what and why? Is your method better than mine? Why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, 11 wk old dd will start with purée.
    You'll start your 11 week old now on puree? Or your 11 week old will start on puree when she's older? Coz if it's the former and not the latter, that's a whole other debate thread.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

*Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (05-12-2012),FindMyLunch  (05-12-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (03-12-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-12-2012),PR2bMum  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't think any method is better, like everything else we need to do what suits our babies and our families. We started DS on purees at 4 months (farex), then we moved on to fruit and veggie purees with a little bit of fingerfood. Now he's 1 and he just eats what we eat. Either finger food, or spoon fed, or self-feeding with the spoon (messy!). Depends what mood he's in.

I honestly think that as they get a bit older, finger food is easier because you can just sit them in the highchair, give them food, and then do other things in the kitchen whilst they're eating.

Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did baby led weaning with dd2 she was the best eater and able to handle a spoon by herself by 10mths. It was honestly so easy. Steam chop give plate to baby You would be suprised by how much they can eat and what they can handle. Dd2 was managing pears nectarines etc by herself with skin by 7mths, like would eat the whole piece of fruit.

But, she is 5 now and the pickiest eater I have ever seen. She is slowly getting better, but between 3 and now has been an uphill battle.

Dd1 and ds1 were both spoon fed, dd was a brilliant eater and still is, ds1 was a shocker when toddling, seriously lived on air and yoghurt, though now 12yrs later would eat a horse if stood still long enough.

Ds2 was a mixture of spoon feeding though I never pureed just squashed with a fork and BLW, he is my best eater yet, though at almost 3 who knows what the future will bring.

I do love blw though, because it really appeals to my lazy side much easier than pureeing everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didnt know about BLW when DS1 was a baby. I knew about the whole 'no food before 6mths thing" He was exclusively breastfed for 5.5mths before i intriduced purees. I used to make my own and he had finger foods when out (BLW evidently) or a few bought raffertys garden pouches. He ate fine and grew fine.

DS2 refused any sort of puree (yogurt included) from the moment we introduced food (5mths). He will NOT take a spoon/fork/finger of food. He feeds himself. He had BLW food for mths until he was able to actually get food iner not) his mouth with a spoon. He is 18mths and feeds himself (when he actually eats that is). He doesnt eat that much and he is smaller than what DS1 was.

To each their own. Ive done both (one by choice, the other not) and I followed my baby's lead. Neither is wrong or right IMO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have offered puree first and then combined with finger foods from about 6m. Let them hold something while I spoon at the same time. Give them their spoon food and let them play with the finger foods after etc.

i just feel that bubs don't actually get enough food in through exclusive BLW.

I've also commonly seen, through friends and on here, that bubs that who BLW are often poor sleepers and big milk drinkers. Not always, just generally. IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE HUNGRY!!!!!!

It's not something that I "judge" on. I don't think it is the wrong thing to do and my way is the right way. I just think - your choice, you deal with the consequences.

I would be more inclined to judge the parent that only feeds their kid packet food and never cooks fresh puree/finger food. Don't get me wrong though - my kids have had plenty of Rafferty's packets.....but i have felt bad/lazy for not making my own.

Thanks
    Reviews

Did purée with ds and BLW with dd. both suited the child best. So while I prefer BLW my self I do say that it does greatly depend on the child

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wish I'd known about BLW with my kids. DS1 was a champion feeder on purée but DS2 was a total PITA! I think he'd have done much better with BLW.

I don't get the whole 'lazy' tag for either way tbh. If you purée it takes effort to cook and prepare but probably minimal clean up after the feed while BLW is minimal prep but I would imagine a HEAP of mess to clean up afterwards lol.

It should be about what suits the child the best I think, not whether or not one way is 'lazier' than the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

I think blw is a great concept, but I felt more comfortable feeding DS purees for his introduction to solids. As it was, he started solids later than most, he was a tiny prem and just not 'ready' until he was about 8 months.

I was also scared of the choking factor, despite reassurances that babies can manage.

I think as long as babies are offered nutritious food, it's no big deal if it's pureed or blw.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 - farex, puree, etc, etc. Is an incredbly fussy eater. Still shockingly fussy at 7.

DS2 - same as above....not a bad eater but not the best but has a wider range then DS1 (he is 5)

DD - BLW...who knows what will happen when she gets older but now she is an AWESOME eater!

For me I did the puree thing....spent ages steaming, pureeing, freezing, etc, etc. And it was tough work, cumbersome and a struggle when we moved to chunks to get them used to it. Always having to have a jar of 'something' when we went out, etc.

With DD I BLW from 6 months and its been awesome. I give her what we (adults) eat or cook her up all sorts of great meals and she yums everything down. She hasnt had issues with eating the food and I am running out of stuff to give her as she just loves it all!

I dont think BLW is lazy at all. I still have to cook her food and watch her eat. I dont just throw her a bone and walk away. There is still as much preparation in her food as there would be in pureed food - and just as healthy. Just because she is BLW doesnt mean that all she eats is Maccas. She has lots of steamed veg, fruit, pastas, meats, etc.

I am so grateful that I can go out and if she is hungry I can just buy her whatever. I dont have to find a shop and hope they have pureed stuff available.

Its incredibly rewarding to watch her eat and I love it.

So I have done both....I find BLW to be the best fit for our family.

There is no better way....just whatever way works for you. However is someone complains how hard pureeing, etc is I will always highly recommend BLW.