+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Spinoff BLW vs Purée

We did BLW with DD1 cos I was reluctant to start solids till 6-7mths. My dd1 at 2yo eats really well as in variety but she isn't a garbage disposal.

But I agree with a PP about BLW babies being hungry. I idiotically listened to a MCHN who said that I needed to boob less for her to eat more. So I did and my sleeping thru baby stopped cos I was with holding boob and she was hungry! At dd1s 12mth check up the GP told me that I should have kept boobing and solids are just a supplement till 1yo.

This time round I'm going to keep boobing at my usual 1-2hrly and supplement with solids.

I agree with KW123 - blw makes sense. I understand most of the PP wanting to feed their kids to make sure they eat something but I've never fed dd1 so I honestly don't know. Now she eats with cutlery

With dd2 I do plan on doing blw but will introduce the concept of spoon feeding to her so I can feed her in the future if required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I have just started on purée with my dd this week who is 6.5 months on the advice of her paed... She was a 25 weeker and is only 4kg now, it's a very specific situation and we couldn't do BLW at the moment even if we tried, so we will introduce finger food when she's closer to 10 months.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not fussed which way people feed but find BLW much gentler and easier. Having said that though I am pretty passionate about not feeding children farex. Farex is a pure carb that metabolises into sugar and many leading child health experts are calling for the recommendations to use it to be muted, it is believed that it is a major cause of obesity amongst many things.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask how farex is linked to obesity? I'm assuming this would be the case if babies/children were continued to be fed it or similar type foods as they age? Just interested

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've done both BLW and mush and honestly prefer BLW, but do find it more difficult to come up with enough variety with BLW. I didn't have much choice as DD1 and DD2 refused to let anyone put a spoon anywhere near their mouths so BLW was a godsend (although I didn't know it was called that I thought it was just finger foods).

with DS1 he wanted to eat the same things as his sisters from a very early age so he did his own BLW, but I did supplement him with mush.

I've never noticed any impact on sleep, but all mine were terrible sleepers.
    Last edited by DQ; 03-12-2012 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks - I've been mixing it with fruit/veg to thicken things up a bit but may reconsider

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned to do BLW. My son seemed like he would love it. He's a very tactile baby and everything goes immediately in his mouth. So when he turned 6 months I gave him some banana fingers. He picked them up, put them in his mouth, gummed a chunk off then coughed and spluttered turning bright red until he threw up. So BLW was too scary for me! I went to purées. I have to say though I think I'm holding him back because I'm terrified to give him finger foods

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Ok. I get cooking a casserole or soup for the rest of the family and mushing/blending that to feed a baby. But I don't understand the need to purée individual fruits and veges etc. that just seems like a LOT of work.

If you have a family history of allergies yes.... But if you don't then why? Not judgy just curious. This is what I don't get and why we wrnt BLW. We don't just eat broccoli for dinner, we eat it with other foods.

On a side note I tend to add cous cous or polenta to thicken up foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Ok. I get cooking a casserole or soup for the rest of the family and mushing/blending that to feed a baby. But I don't understand the need to purée individual fruits and veges etc. that just seems like a LOT of work.

If you have a family history of allergies yes.... But if you don't then why? Not judgy just curious. This is what I don't get and why we wrnt BLW. We don't just eat broccoli for dinner, we eat it with other foods.

On a side note I tend to add cous cous or polenta to thicken up foods.
    I guess a lot of the food I cook for the rest of the family isn't always suitable to purée. I would sometimes freeze lots of puréed apple or pear and then add that to something else to add flavour (eg porridge). My girls won't eat red meat (makes them physically sick) so if I want my son to have meat I would grill him a chop. And I give the girls a variety of vegetables for dinner which were prefect for BLW. But I also found things like broccoli great for snacks on the run.

Another thing I liked about BLW was how easy it was when we were out. I didn't need to pack spoons or pots of purée that often leaked in my bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started at 5.5 months with finger foods and some puree. DS had suddenly become very hungry and finger foods alone weren't sufficient at that stage as he hadn't developed the skills required to pick up and eat enough before he got bored and tired. Over the next 2 months I continued to increase the self feeding options and decrease the purees until he was completely self feeding by about 7 months (except yoghurt which I helped with). He always ate what we did, I just changed our usual foods to reduce the salt and sugar contents. At 14 months he eats a good variety and can use a spoon to feed himself too.

I don't really see that one way is better than another, they both have good and bad points. I am glad that I followed that I followed the path that did, and don't have any regrets.

I have seem some really yucky comments made (not on this site) about purees and spoon feeding which I do find to be offensive and definitely don't agree with. Like "spoon feeding is a cause of eating disorders" and "you overfeed a baby when you spoon feed" so there is plenty of judgement around and this is (another) issue which people do get very passionate about.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    In regards to the comments you can't make a BLW baby eat. Nor can you make a spoon fed baby eat. They will eat as much as they decide regardless of whether its in a solid ir non solid form
    I disagree to an extent, puree babies tend to over eat simply because the food is pureed. Where as a blw baby has to chew it gives the body time to register that it's full. Chewing also helps digestion which is why IME puree fed babies sleep 'better' because they are doing a **** load of digesting in the stomach/gut (they miss the mastication process).

Also I would prefer my child to wake in the night for a breastfeed than to be overfull from eating too much in the sense of food before one is just for fun, I think they are missing out on vital breastfeeding opportunities (same goes for formula fed babies!).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (03-12-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast