+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD was born the advice was start with purees and introduce finger foods pretty soon after to help their coordination, introduce textures etc. This is what I did, but the first few months were pretty much just purees as finger foods would drive her mad with frustration - she just loved food and hated that it wasn't all ending up in her mouth. Purees also gave me more control over what she ate as there are food allergies in the family that I needed to watch for. She was always BFed (then bottle when I switched) before her 'meals' until she was 1, or they would be a snack between milk feeds.

Lucky for her she has good fine motor skills and coordination so, same as Elijah's mum said, could eat full heads of brocolli by about 8 months and was almost exclusively self feeding (spoon or finger food) by the time she was about one. This is the messy bit, BLW or not - learning to self feed. I know parents who still don't let their 2yos self feed, and think this is why some parents judge the whole 'spoon feeding' thing (as I'm judgemental of leaving it that late too).

I find the name BLW a bit confusing - as in it suggests what I did was not following my DDs lead. But if you'd seen her lunging towards her spoon of mush (compared to screaming in frustration that she'd dropped her piece of pear for the 15th time) you'd say I definitely followed her lead.

For the record, she's about to turn 5 and is an amazing eater. I'll do the same again with next bub, follow their lead ... wherever they lead me!
    Last edited by Stretched; 03-12-2012 at 15:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    BLW wasn't a "thing," when DD was little. Well, maybe it was, but it certainly wasn't widespread or something anyone really ever spoke about.

She ate purees, then soft foods, then real foods. I didn't do farex because that stuff is nasty, but I still did pureed veges and fruits and such.

She is a fantastic eater, so I'm not sure that kids who are fed mush are all fussy whingers about food.

I think I'll do the same in future. I don't think any one is better than the other, I just don't see the point in BLW when feeding purees has worked just fine for me. It might change if I end up with a grumpy eater, but if I get another like DD, purees will be just fine.

ETA - Oh, finger food was introduced once she could feed herself, but she was spoon-fed until then.

Gagging freaks me out too. I'd rather avoid that. And the mess that I associated with a baby feeding itself. Ew. I hate food mess.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 03-12-2012 at 15:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    Babycart yes it is because they are hungry hence why we BLW so they eat as much as they can/want, but most the time before 1yo they want their mummies milk the most, but if their purée fed they don't really get a choice for mums milk. I don't want my baby to be stuffed full of purée pear instead of breastmilk!!! Hope that makes sense. Oh and FYI it's totally normal for babies to wake Through the night for feeds!!!
    i know it's normal for babies to wake overnight for feeds and i BF'd both my DDs overnight until they were about 12-13months. I don't believe they need feeding 5 times overnight at 7-8+ months old. Just a few nights ago my DD2 woke and wouldn't resettle after a few attempts, so I gave her some milk and she went back to sleep - she was hungry. Other nights, i've offered milk and she hasn't wanted it.

I've had my DD start throwing her finger food (veg and meat) off her highchair after about a quarter of her meal, but then eat a whole cup of yoghurt (spoon fed) and a whole banana (self fed), so yes, she was still hungry.

ETA - this is just my opinion and what I am happy to do. I'd prefer to know that my baby/toddler had enough to eat, rather than guess how much they actually had and then be up a lot overnight making up for what was missed out on during the day.
    Last edited by babycart; 03-12-2012 at 16:04.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spinoff BLW vs Purée

Fair enough! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

My kids had no issues with sleep and BLW. I must admit I was concerned at first but my kids are on the 97th and 75th and are also not picky. They eat everything , my middle son can be a turd but weather it be a plate of veggies or a plate of lollies if he doesn't want to eat he doesn't want to. In saying that the older two won't touch pumpkin or carrot !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post

I've had my DD start throwing her finger food (veg and meat) off her highchair after about a quarter of her meal, but then eat a whole cup of yoghurt (spoon fed) and a whole banana (self fed), so yes, she was still hungry.

ETA - this is just my opinion and what I am happy to do. I'd prefer to know that my baby/toddler had enough to eat, rather than guess how much they actually had and then be up a lot overnight making up for what was missed out on during the day.
    You cant force BLW babes to eat....they eat what they want/need. When I feed DD I give her her meal and always fruit afterwards (so banana, nectarine, blackberries, grapes, pear, etc, etc). I know she loves fruit so if she hasnt had enough of her meal I know she will fill up on fruit.

I am assuming from your quote is that your bubs didnt want meat and veg that day....and what baby doesnt love yoghurt and fruit!

I found when I was doing the puree thing I felt a lot of frustration when they hadnt finished the cup/bowl/etc. Like he has to be hungry as he hasnt finished. They they would do that scrunching the mouth shut and shaking their head side to side while you try to do the 'choo choo train into the tunnel' to make them eat.

BLW just teaches you that bubs controls how much they eat and arent goverened by how much is left in the bowl.

Anyway....not trying to convert anyone to the 'dark side' but for me I found it so much easier BLWing, especially with two other kids in the mix, mealtimes are now enjoyable and not a fight.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (03-12-2012),PR2bMum  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 1 DD on puree and one BLW cant say either was better or worse just different. If we have a 3rd baby I dont know what ill do depends on the child and what they like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

In regards to the comments you can't make a BLW baby eat. Nor can you make a spoon fed baby eat. They will eat as much as they decide regardless of whether its in a solid ir non solid form

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

babycart  (03-12-2012),ilovehats  (03-12-2012),Purple Lily  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Spinoff BLW vs Purée

Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    In regards to the comments you can't make a BLW baby eat. Nor can you make a spoon fed baby eat. They will eat as much as they decide regardless of whether its in a solid ir non solid form
    no. but with blw i felt DD was finding it hard to eat at times. Like she wanted to but couldnt handle the food properly so after a few months id offer some food via a spoon too

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing for later!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast