+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    i just feel that bubs don't actually get enough food in through exclusive BLW.
    I also had this concern

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find BLW parents tend to be very passionate about it.

I fed my daughter a mixture of purees and finger foods. I read a thread on here once that slammed anyone who said they did BOTH BLW and puree feeding, because apparently you cant do both. If you spoon feed you are NOT BLW according to that thread, so ever since I have never said that I did BLWing with my daughter, I say I fed a mixture of spoon feeds and finger foods.

I agree with PP that mentioned babies who purely BLW often don't get enough nutrition as they are not consuming enough food. I am more than happy to feed both ways and it works very well for us.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spinoff BLW vs Purée

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    You'll start your 11 week old now on puree? Or your 11 week old will start on puree when she's older? Coz if it's the former and not the latter, that's a whole other debate thread.
    Oh no, I didn't word that very well! I have two DD's, the eldest is 10, youngest 11 wks. She will start purée when she is 4-6 months old, when she is ready!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

CMF  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I tried blw but after a choking scare we stuck with mush until DS decided he wanted to feed himself (about 10 months) so switched over to solely figure foods

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post

I fed my daughter a mixture of purees and finger foods. I read a thread on here once that slammed anyone who said they did BOTH BLW and puree feeding, because apparently you cant do both. If you spoon feed you are NOT BLW according to that thread, so ever since I have never said that I did BLWing with my daughter, I say I fed a mixture of spoon feeds and finger foods.

I agree with PP that mentioned babies who purely BLW often don't get enough nutrition as they are not consuming enough food. I am more than happy to feed both ways and it works very well for us.
    I remember that thread

So far you've all confirmed what I thought. It's just another method of feeding yeah? I mean, do blw bubs get some benefit purée fed bubs don't? Or vice versa?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

This how I fed all 6 bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

We had done/are doing BLW with DS who is now 11 months old.

Started at 6 months and by about 7 months he was actually eating food and not just playing with it! He is still breast fed so I was not too worried if he wasn't eating much in the early days as I knew he was getting all the nutrients he needed from my milk.

DS is thriving. He sleeps well and eats well.

I chose to do BLW as I didn't see the point in purées when eventually he would have to eat what me and hubby eat. Why shouldn't he get to enjoy food in its true form? To me, it's easier. He can eat what we eat so I don't have to prepare 2 different meals. When we go out to eat he can share our meals instead of bringing along purée to feed him.

We have had no problems with BLW. No choking incidents. No food refusal. He has a wide and varied diet and gets to eat some pretty gourmet food.

But I totally understand this is a very personal choice and understand that not everyone feels comfortable with BLW. I respect this and would never judge a parent over whether they choose to spoon feed or BLW. I mean honestly, it's no ones business but your own!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

lones  (05-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am just one of those over cautious, anxious mums that has a heart attack every time my DS gags on something. I have tried to scoop with my finger bits of food off the back of his tongue a few times. I know he will probably work it out himself, but that's just me!
    I read that 1 child every 5 days dies from choking on food (Mr Google)...Yep, Im like that

Thanks
    Reviews

All three of my kids were fed the way you described.

I am not really that invested in how others decide to start their kids in solids. Spoon? Finger food? Flying aero plane? All good with me!

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't tried BLW yet but I'm waiting until he is six months to do so (in a couple of weeks!). I'm the only one in my mothers group not to be feeding purees or rice cereal. Nobody has made me feel bad or anything. One said she thought I was brave which I thought was odd!

I will never ever give DS rice cereal. It's just processed white rice and the sugar content is ridiculous. I honesty think its not good for babies (just my humble opinion!). Witwicky directed me to a site about this which I can post if anyone is interested.

I'm not one of this mums who wants to spend time shopping, pureeing and freezing different foods. If I had to I'd likely end up buying Rafferty's (which I know would make some mums judge me according to the other thread lol!).

BLW just seems easier AND makes more sense to me. Anecdotally the kids I know who were introduced to food via BLW are less fussy eaters. The BLW books also claims your kid is less likely to choke as they are in control, which also makes sense to me.

If t doesn't work I'll go back to the drawing board. But I'm happy for h to get his nutrition from milk only for the first 12 months. Any food is just for him to play with and get used to textures, etc - not for the calories or nutrition. I think this is a concept that some people struggle with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (03-12-2012)