+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dad & Partner Paid Parental Leave Scheme

It's from 1 Jan 2013, and the partner must be on unpaid leave (ie: not carers, recreation, or long service leave). We put in our application and Centrelink called to say we won't get it as my DH will be taking Rec leave at the time... A bit of a non benefit for most really, particularly if your income is well above minimum wage...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wonder if there are special conditions as there are with the 18 weeks PPL for the primary carer; my sister didn't meet the work requirements due to pregnancy complications but was able to provide medical evidence so still received the PPL payments. It would be worth looking into if there was an emergency reason for bub being born pre-1st Jan.

I agree with a PP that it's a non-benefit to most, since 1st Jan 2010 the non-primary carer has been entitled to 3 weeks unpaid parental leave upon the birth of the baby anyway, which many don't utilize as they can't do with no income coming in for that 3 weeks. My husband will take 3-4 weeks annual leave when the baby is born as it just wouldn't be feasible for him to have 3 weeks pay at minimum wage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I agree with a PP that it's a non-benefit to most, since 1st Jan 2010 the non-primary carer has been entitled to 3 weeks unpaid parental leave upon the birth of the baby anyway, which many don't utilize as they can't do with no income coming in for that 3 weeks.
    Really? I don't think this is part of the FWA? Which legislation is this, or is part of a union agreement or something?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Dad & Partner Paid Parental Leave Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    It's from 1 Jan 2013, and the partner must be on unpaid leave (ie: not carers, recreation, or long service leave). We put in our application and Centrelink called to say we won't get it as my DH will be taking Rec leave at the time... A bit of a non benefit for most really, particularly if your income is well above minimum wage...
    It will be a benefit to us. Dh started a new job in July, the company he works for closes for 2 weeks over Christmas which means he will have to use all his annual leave. Bubs is due 10th January so this means that he can take some time off. We will struggle financially for those 2 weeks but it's better than nothing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes it is in the national employment standard I have seen!

It won't be the end of the world if we miss out but it certainly would be nice and was a nice surprise to find out it was available after dh had to use a good chunk of his paid leave entitlements when his dad passed in October so that threw our plans out of wack that and me being made redundant in July (definitely something we weren't counting on).

Hopefully she just hangs tight until at least the first lol!

Sent from my ST25a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Grebbeci we are in the same situation, DH only started this job in May and as I said he had to take some time for obvious reasons when his dad passed plus the closure over Christmas so it'd definitely be a benefit to us!

Lets hope these babies stay put or DH will be lucky to get a day or 2 off with us! We're due the day after you

Sent from my ST25a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We looked into this yesterday at Centrelink. My DH is going to have 4 weeks annual leave when our bub comes (due 11th Feb) my DH can still get the two weeks from the government after that time which will give him 6 weeks with me and bub. He just can't put the form in until we know when his annual leave will run out and he will no longer be paid. But hopefully 4 weeks will be enough for them to process this so we get the extra two weeks.

The conditions are that you should not be working or on any type of leave to get this benefit (as my example above explains).

I hope this helps a bit, I know everyone's situation is different so it's probably best to contact centrelink. I was under the impression the baby needs to be born after 1st January 2013 for you to be eligible but I do not know of any loop holes to perhaps bypass this.

Good luck peeps
    xox
    P.s only 6 days till my due date I am pretty excited to meet our lil bundle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I wonder if there are special conditions as there are with the 18 weeks PPL for the primary carer; my sister didn't meet the work requirements due to pregnancy complications but was able to provide medical evidence so still received the PPL payments. It would be worth looking into if there was an emergency reason for bub being born pre-1st Jan.

I agree with a PP that it's a non-benefit to most, since 1st Jan 2010 the non-primary carer has been entitled to 3 weeks unpaid parental leave upon the birth of the baby anyway, which many don't utilize as they can't do with no income coming in for that 3 weeks. My husband will take 3-4 weeks annual leave when the baby is born as it just wouldn't be feasible for him to have 3 weeks pay at minimum wage.
    I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that if your doctor deems you medically unable to work that you may still qualify??

Thanks
    Reviews

Dad must be employed, but on Leave (Without pay) for the 2wk period that he will be paid the Dad Pay and is eligible for the min award wage (currently $606/wk before tax)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DH is self employed tradie and is going to have time off when bub is born. I am assuming he would be eligible for this? Is anyone else's hubby in this situation?