+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Son still upset dropping off

Hi

My son is doing 1 day a week at childcare. We did that to hold a place as it's very hard to get childcare here in Canberra. We are doing 3 days next year but for the moment it's only one day.

He's been there for about 6 weeks now, but still crys when I drop him off. It breaks my heart. Today he pointed to the door and wanted to go. I feel so mean. What can I do to settle him in more.

Last week when I picked him up he was playing happily but cried when he saw me.

I've been slowly increasing the time I leave him. Today I dropped him off at 9.45 and I will pick him up at 2.30 pm.

They do say he's getting better each time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's completely normal for them to cry for a while. My dd used to do this as well and it wasn't until i stood hidden around the corner to see how long it would take her to settle down etc, before I realised that she was only crying for 2-3 mins and would stop and start playing... and here I was thinking that she's crying all day long!!!

Give it more time, 1 day a week isn't alot, when he gets to know the other kids/carers he will get more confident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My daughter is 4 and going two days a week, she stated going 3 months ago and only now she is saying goodbye and looking forward to it

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi. I worked in child care for 8yrs and found that unfortunately most children that only went to care 1 day a week were still very upset at drop off even after going for months! Every week was like their first day again. The best thing is for them to go at least twice a wk, they settled in much sooner!
    Something that helped one child, mum took him shopping & he got to pick out a special bag, lunch box and toy that he only got to use & play with on day care days so he was excited about going.
    Sorry I can't be of more help hun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I've heard the same, from several childcare workers in different places: kids who go several days seem to settle better than just one

So... hopefully it will be better next year when he goes for more days?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS started daycare a month ago and at the time I only wanted to start him on one day a week & later move to two. The director however recommended that I start him on two days a week for at least 3weeks as she has found that kids will settle in much quicker & easier. I found that she was quite correct as my son did settle in quite quickly and any separation anxiety was quickly resolved when one of the carers holds him. He now stills goes two days a week & will rarely cry when I leave only on the odd days. I have also found preparing him the day before and in the morning by explaining all the fun things he will do at daycare helps.