+ Reply to Thread
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyones toddler use a speech therapist? Not sure what to expect

Hi,

my two and a half year old has a speech delay. We are using a speech therapist fortnightly in the home.

when the therapist is here she basically plays with my two year old with her toy animals ....and that is it. No real explantion of what she is doing, what she wants to achieve, what she wants me to do?

I know it is difficult to "teach" a toddler to talk - but i am feeling as if this therapy is totally worthless.

Is there anyone else out there getting speech therapy for a toddler? I would love to know what your therapist is offering to help your child talk - at this rate i am thinking of canning it and finding someone else. We have had her for about 6 months and i really have no idea of what they are supposed to do so i have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews

I take my 4yo to a speech therapist. I know she's a bit older but I do see what the toddlers are doing. At our speech place every child is given a scrap book with exercises in it. The front page is the goals so you know what your trying to achieve and where you are headed. And when you achieve something it is marked off. What your doing doesn't sound right from what we are experiencing. It wouldn't hurt to try someone else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My three and a half year old has been having speech therapy since before she was one. She has Down syndrome so we knew there would be speech delay, so ST is something they generally get onto pretty early for kids with Ds.

We have had several over that time, some good, some not so good, and what has really made the difference to me as a parent, was the info they gave me. I always believed all my daughters various therapists are there to teach me, as much as they are to teach her. They can't make much of a difference in an hour-long session every week or fortnight; the important work is done by the parent in between the sessions. And for that to happen, the speechie needs to be letting you know what she's doing, and why.

I'd probably be saying something like "I want to make sure that I'm reinforcing what you're doing, in between the sessions, so in today's session, would you mind telling me as you go along, what you're doing, and what you're hoping to achieve out if that activity?"

You could also ask for "homework" at the end. "What do you think are the most important things to work on with DS between now and next week?"

Or, you could ask to set up some goals. In doing this, your speechie should set out:
    1. What the goal is
    2. What skills does DS need to achieve that?
    3. What activities can we do that will give him/reinforce those skills?

When I remember, I try to take notes in our sessions, otherwise the speechie will write things down for me. I find that helps a lot, because once you start asking for the info, there should be a lot there. It's amazing how, what just looks like play, is actually really purposeful.

And if all else fails, try to get your hands on a book called "It takes two to talk" - fantastic!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox in Sox For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS did speech therapy for about 3 years starting when he was 3. They did a lot of palm cards work that were rewarded with game time, and other games as well like memory and such. I would be in the room with her, and talk with her about DS issues and progress. There would also be homework.

I think it also depends on what the delays are, but its definately something that should addressed and talked about.

Getting a quality ST is worth the money. I paid $100 a week, a friend thought that was way too expensive so went with someone who charged $70 a week and I definately can't see as much development with their child.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If she isn't talking to you and giving you things to work on during the week than you would be better off finding someone else.

I had one kids start at 2 and the other at 4. They always chat to be about what they are doing and what I exercise I should be doing or how/when I should talking to them, etc....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids were abit older when they did speech therapy, but it certainly didn't sound like what's going on at your house. And definitely as PP said, teaching the parent is as important as teaching the child. Maybe next time she comes you could just casually say when she arrives "so, what are we working on today?", and then keep an eye out for if they work on that. Then at the end ask "what would you like us to practice before next visit". If she can't have some definitive answers for you to those simple questions then looks like it's time for a new speechie.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much everyone. We just finished another session today - she comes here about 45 minutes late each time and i have occupational therapy almost straight after. She basically sat there and yawned (like she normally does) throughout most of the session and again did not tell me what was happening at all. I spoke with my OT and she suggested i find someone else because she should at the very least give me some guidance for things to do myself. I am going to send her an email letting her know that we wont be using her anymore.

Thanks for all your advice, i knew in my heart i should make a change but i was not confident because i really have no idea what to expect - when i compare her to our OT they are worlds apart.

I really appreciate all the info you have all taken the time to give.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe try being a bit more proactive with this therapist first. You might find there is a waitlist to change therapists, or people might be closing their books at this time of year (if you are going privately), or you may not have the option to change (if you are getting public services). So ditching this one may result in a long gap which could be more detrimental to your child.

I would follow Fox inSox advice and ask for specifics about what to do from this therapist first. For all you know she is thinking 'gees this mum just sits and watches me, she's not even interested in what I am doing'

I think the price has nothing to do with the quality of therapy you will get. There are many skilled clinicians working in the public sector where they are FREE, and other that charge a fortune and they are rubbish.

Having said that, not every therapist can 'click' (personality wise) with every family and vice versa. So if this therapist simply isn't a good match for you guys then cut your losses and move on.

The book 'it Takes Two to Talk' which was previously recommended is a fantastic resource, buy it or borrow from the library if you can.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: yep, I was a speech therapist for 10 years, now lecture in the field and train students at uni

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i cancelled our appointments with the therapist and have booked a new one for the new year - the OT recommended this new one so i am feeling confident that things will be better this time around. All I want is someone who has enough common sense to teach me what I don't know instead of expect me to know what questions to ask, it sounds like this is what most of you have got with your speechies and I wish I had of trusted my gut feeling earlier.

thanks again for all your info, it really helped alot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Anyones toddler use a speech therapist? Not sure what to expect

I took my son to fortnightly st btw 2yr and 3yr. We had a scrapbook and they would do activities in scrapbook, and the idea was that we could continue or extend on those activities at home. Plus suggestions on stuff we could do.