+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with hip dysplasia!!

My baby had DDH and it was picked up at birth. She had none of the indications for or... Was not breech, no trauma at birth, no family history. She was immediately fitted with a Von Rosen splint. We were able to remove it at 6 weeks (on Xmas Eve, which was lovely!) when did your baby's DDH get diagnosed, OP?
    I know it's a different brace, but our girl did not mind having hers on at all... She got used to it very quickly. It was DP and I who were more upset by it. Hugs to you and your little one.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with hip dysplasia!!

She was Breech and they picked it up at the 6 week ultrasound all breech babies have! I just googled the Von Rosen splint! Looks much more comfortable - especially for summer! I guess each diagnosis is different and different treatments follow! I have seem some other harnesses that look much less invasive and much cooler but the orthotist assured me that the pavlik harness is the best for her right now! She's got another ultrasound next week so we will know if its improving - but then at least another 6 weeks before a possibility of being able to take it off! I can't wait to take it off her!! Poor little thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Momkey, I assume your LO has the splint off now? I just wanted to add that my daughter had the Von Rosen Splint and didn't adjust very well so we switched to the Pavlik Harness and she was so much happier (could turn her head to sleep etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks haydos! Yeah she has been harness free for ages now! Just had her hip X-ray last week and orthopedic surgeon isn't quite ready to let her go yet! The hips are beautifully in the sockets but the angle of the roof of the socket is still a bit high! He says it should fix by itself! Thanks for your post! I guess different harnesses suit different babies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news Momkey!
    We've stayed away from certain slings, Jolly Jumpers etc and I think we're not supposed to use activity centres either. Do you (or anyone) have any advice on this? My daughter is 9 months now, I think a few months older than your bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or know where I can find info on this? All I can find info on is for when they're still in the harness/splint. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent ages researching what was advised & not advised for hip kids after harness or spica removal and the hip institute & physios recommend avoiding anything in which babies legs dangle unsupported. Jolly jumpers are a no (according to them) along with activity centers where babe can't touch the floor to support themselves. Harnesses (like bjorne carriers) they didn't like as again babes legs dangle but others like ergo & manduca keep legs in an M position. Bumbos that squished legs together were also discouraged along with tight swaddling. Like I said these were all recommendations from various professions which all have different views in treatment of DDH. Best to ask your own physio/orthotist/surgeon/paediatrician :-) My second daughter has just come out of her pavlick harness after 12 weeks so we are once again waiting to get the all clear. 2 girls both with severe DDH!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the Von Rosen splint for a month from three weeks through till 7 weeks. We are waiting for our follow up ultrasound and check up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haydos I specifically asked my orthopedic surgeon about jumperoos/ jolly jumpers etc and he said "no restrictions - treat her like the normal baby that she is" hehe. My DD plays in her jumperoo for short periods every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice Chickii and Momkey! Greatly appreciated!

Good luck with the all clear for your daughter Chickii! I have my fingers crossed for you. Hope your other daughter is going well too!

Good luck with your follow up too LotusMum!