+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OptimisticAussie

My DH had the same thing confirmed at the end of January. It is hard, but I am glad to hear that your DH is coming to terms with using a donor. Also glad to hear it has made your relationship stronger - we feel the same.

We went ahead with our (anonymous) donor on the same day as DH's surgery confirmed he had no sperm - but because we were prepared for that, we were happy as we could still do an EPU. In a lot of ways it does simplify things...we've definitely found the cause of our infertility, and we can move past it. Hopefully after two years of TTC, our baby is now just around the corner - and yours might be, too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Optimistic Ausssie and Littlesunflowers.... yes, knowing one way or another is such a relief because you can move on. We were so excited to have 1 good sperm, but when it didn't work, we're a little bit in a quandry. I want to start straight away (with DH trying an ejaculate and using anonymous donor sperm, since we're now at the top of the list), but DH wants to wait the full 72 days and see if he can produce another 1 good sperm. We sort of are at an impasse, and will see what the FS says on Wed about that. But to throw a spanner in the works, my mother has basically said, that if this is the last chance for us to have DH's biological baby, then we should wait the 72 days. But I thought we'd decided that the mTESE was the "last chance" and now the goal posts have moved. Can't really think about it more than we have. Hopefully the FS can give us some good reasons "why or why not" to "wait or not wait"!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi LittleSunFlowers,
    I'm still amazed at how many of us are in this situation. It really makes you wonder why this is happening- I wonder if the stats were the same many years ago.
    Where are you at in your journey at the moment?

Bertie, your situation is tough. I don't know if I would have the strength to wait and go through with it all again, but at least if you do wait this time you will have the donor ready to go if you need it. I read through your journey with your one good sperm and I am so sorry it didn't work out. Talk about a stressful situation!

Just wondering, is it normal procedure for everyone to have a laparoscopy before beginning IVF treatment? If so, I think I'll do that before we begin our donor route so that it is one thing over and done with.

littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimisticAussie View Post
    Just wondering, is it normal procedure for everyone to have a laparoscopy before beginning IVF treatment? If so, I think I'll do that before we begin our donor route so that it is one thing over and done with.
    Seems to be! I had one last May, before the first IVF attempt. If you have private health cover it's not very expensive and lets you know things are working properly, which you want to know if you are spending time and money on IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OptimisticAussie.... no one's ever mentioned a laparoscopy to me, and I don't even know what it's about. I'm going to go google it now, but maybe some others here can weigh in on the pros for having it done and why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MGC Bertie View Post
    OptimisticAussie.... no one's ever mentioned a laparoscopy to me, and I don't even know what it's about. I'm going to go google it now, but maybe some others here can weigh in on the pros for having it done and why?
    Ah yes, that would be more useful wouldn't it. I had a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy, two different procedures, the exact details of which escape me...but it was because a scan showed an endometrial cyst that FS wanted to remove before I did IVF, and "since we're there", they also did an inspection of everything and flushed some dye through the tubes to make sure there were no blockages. That's the one people opt to do before IVF, because they might find something that could affect the success. It's also why I feel confident doing IUI with donor sperm - I've seen colour photos of my ovaries, and aside from the cyst (gone now, not a big issue), I'm told I ought to work satisfactorily.

Took me ages to recover from it though - I heal slowly, but I was off work about 3 weeks, which was unexpected.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littlesunflowers For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (12-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Littlesunflowers.... thanks for the explanation. I did a bit of reading about it too in the past couple of days, but since all my scans and tests have always been normal, I guess that's why neither of those things have been mentioned to me. We'll see how this next cycle goes :-)

AFM.... went and saw our FS yesterday to discuss last failed cycle and plan the next cycle. Major discussion points of interest were:
    - he mentioned that last time my LH levels weren't increasing as much as he expected, so will adjust meds next time
    - he will use progesterone injections instead of pessaries, as he said they are much more effective (not sure why he doesn't use them all the time then!). He said progesterone injections will keep AF away for a long while, so the only side-effect of this, is that AF wil definitely not come before the preg BT, so you can't use AF as an indicator if the cycle worked or not (but that's peace of mind, knowing that it's not AF that stuffed up the cycle)
    - he will do one and a half times the normal trigger injection, as he thought out of 6 follicles that we should have got more than 3 eggs. I said I was happy with 3 eggs out of 6 follicles, but he said that increasing the trigger shot should make a difference.
    - he really doesn't think waiting the full 72 days for sperm to mature is going to make any difference to DH's 1 or 2 sperm, so we're going to go ahead now (which will mean only 58 days from mTESE when all good sperm was scooped up)
    - he's going to use both assisted hatching and embryo glue during transfer, as well as doing guided ultrasound transfer (which I've not had on my previous two transfers), so it seems there's a few new things for this cycle compared to the past three.
    - interestingly (and peonies, I think you'll like this one!) we've convinced him to do something that he said he's never done before - as DH only gets 1-2 sperm, we've insisted that we want to use both DH's 1-2 sperm, plus use donor back-up, e.g. if we get 3 eggs and 1 DH sperm, then 1 egg + 1 DH sperm is put into one dish, and the other 2 eggs are put with donor sperm in a separate dish. He said this hasn't been done before. Plenty of people have donor sperm ready as back-up, but that's because they find no sperm, but that DH is a special case as he often gets just 1 good sperm, and that's unusual - men usually have plenty or none, so it's always clear which way to go. At first he wasn't happy to go with our plan, and all of a sudden I was thinking that I'd have to start again at a different clinic to get what I want, but after some discussion, he agreed he would do it. To be honest, I think he seemed a little interested in trying it, since it's not done at all normally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Optimistic Aussie and Little sunflowers how are you both going?

AFM We have been told we are doing an Antagonist cycle next with donor sperm. So just waiting for April to come around so we can get started!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to two souls For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (04-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twosouls... woohoo, April is here!! Go the donor sperm - it's got to be lucky from now on!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant to say we are doing the cycle early May after we get back from holidays! For some reason I have April in my mind! I hope May is my lucky month as its my birthday then too 😃

14. The Following User Says Thank You to two souls For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (05-04-2013)