+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-section in a weeks time starting to get really nervous!!

So c-section is in a weeks time and I am starting to get really nervous. OB says I have to have one due to horrific experience of natural birth with the last one.

I was fine with the whole idea and now I am freaking out!

I think because I don't know what's expected, how much pain there is going to be, looking after toddlers and being away from them.

I haven't even packed my bag as so confused what to take. Nighties or pant pj's, big undies, c section support bands???

I am feeling really overwhelmed the more I think about it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't panic! Planned c/sections should be relatively smooth - and quick - affairs. Yes, it is surgery, but I'm sure you will be well looked after.

In terms of clothing, you need to work out what will work best for you. I favoured pj pants in a larger size, with soft cotton "granny" undies. The waistbands of neither bothered my wound. The granny undies also helped hold the pads in place, as there is some bleeding afterwards. Not, however, as much as a V birth (apparently) as they do clean you out while you are open, so to speak. Some people prefer really low cut undies, or lacy band ones but these would both annoy me.

In terms of how it feels, the best description I heard prior and was actually the most accurate, was that it feels like someone doing the washing up in your stomach. It was strangely like that :-) A little odd, but not uncomfortable really.

AND over so quickly! I had my darling DS in about 15 minutes!!!

Hope something I said helped in some way x
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Mumsrulz,

I had an (emergency) c-section with DS and honestly I look back on the experience with a genuine fondness. I stayed on top of my meds (so took them as they were due, not when I was sore) and can honestly say I felt no pain, unless I did something quickly, forgetting about my incision.

Dealing with the toddlers might be difficult so I'd recommend to use the next week to prepare for 3-4 weeks of no lifting etc and ring in all your help from friends and family.

Definitely invest in some big knickers - I've not see the support band you mentioned so can't really comment....

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, I have just had my fourth c-section, my first two were emergencies and my third and fourth were elective because I had to have them by them due to the previous two. All my experiences were really good, I got to hold my babies right away and breast feed my husband stayed with me the whole time except for a brief period after the third one which although didn't go to plan, I lost a lot of blood afterwards I still wouldn't say it was 'bad' as I went on to have my fourth and final one just over two weeks ago.

Because it was my fourth and because of complications with my third everything possible was done to make sure this one went well and they were prepared if anything did go wrong. Luckily it went great! I was home after only three nights compared to a week with my third.

The only two things I dont like about having to have c-sections would be having to have a spinal, I had epi's with my first two although from what I have read it seems spinals are safer but with my third when I had the spinal it hit a nerve and I got almost like a shock through my body, it wasn't nice, I also had a numb patch running down my leg afterwards which took months to go away. Because of this I wasn't keen on having a spinal this time but ended up having a combo epi/spinal which was ok. I also had the catheter inserted this time before I went to therter so I could feel it and really this was the worst thing out of all my c-sections even though it only took a few quick minutes Im really not a fan.

Overall I'm glad I had c-sections as the most important thing is that all my babies were born healthy and as long as you get up as soon as possible and stay on top of your meds you should be fine.

I came home to a house with a 6,5 and 3 year old and had no problems with looking after them as we are new in town and have no family help but it really was fine and I def recommend getting a belly band and even the c-panty's which you can buy online and are great for supporting your tummy and have a silicone patch that goes against your scar to help it heal.

Also this time I was able to check into the hospital the night before which I also found helpful as I was pretty nervous and they were able to give me a sleeping tablet so I could get some rest otherwise I don't think I would have slept at all!

Hope some of this helps, just make sure if you are unsure about anything or nervous you tell the midwives/drs and they really do do everything they can to help put you at ease. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thankyou I feel a bit better!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a csection with DD2 due to her being breech. Had a vaginal delivery with DD1. I desperately didn't want one and was so nervous! As much as I would still prefer to have a vaginal birth, it wasn't as bad as I thought! It was over so quickly and once DD was born I was totally focused on her! Recovery was pretty good! I made the most of the self administered pethidine and got up and moving less than 24 hrs afterwards! Once your bub is born you won't care how he/she got here! 6 weeks on and I am pretty much back to normal!! I also managed on my own with a toddler and newborn (with some family support) a week after her birth coz DH couldn't take time off work! It's really not that bad! All the best! Make the most of the extra rest time in hospital!!

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't stress! Truthfully there is nothing to be afraid of. In fact sometimes during my cs I just felt like a number - "yup this is so routine"...

I had a wonderful midwife who told me that she was there for the baby. No matter what happened during the surgery, she would be with the baby and would follow him. If things went bad, she was there to care for him. That was such a relief. She would be there to look after him.

During the op I just concentrated on talking to the midwife and DH and "ignored" what was happening. After DS was born I had to grit my teeth from yelling at them to hurry up, but otherwise it is pretty quick.

Painwise: No pain for the first 24 hours, REALLY painful the first time I had a shower, but by day 3 I was just taking panadol occasionally. Take it slow and don't think you are a macho mum by refusing pain meds!

What to pack: Granny undies and nighties. I couldn't stand PJs afterwards. And don't bother with maternity pads! They "clean you out" pretty good and so the bleeding is really quite minimal. I wore a maternity pad for the first day (when I couldn't move) then just regular pads after that.

Otherwise just clothes, toiletries and stuff for the baby. I needed a pillow to breastfeed, but you can just use a regular hospy one. I was in for four nights & five days - so lots of clothes for baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i loved my c-section birth. I was told DD was breech position at 40+1 and they wanted her out the very next morning. At first i was in shock as i was mentally prepared for a natural birth - waiting for any wince of labour signs ect. Then i got told i'll have my baby tomorrow morning! woah! - we had a relaxing night, i packed my hospital bag and bub's. Had our final dinner as a "twosome". Had a lovely long shower and washed myself in that sanitizer body was u get given. Fasted from 10pm. Got about 2hrs sleep because we were so excited! but i wasnt one bit tired. Casually got ready and was at the hospital by 7am. Midwife got me prepped, spinal and iv went in (the spinal was probably the worst part as i had to "lay backwards into the needle!") i just focused on my excitement that i was going to be a mum in a matter of minutes! i was actually shivering because i was anxious/nervous/completely surrel feelings. Surgery began at 9am. DD was born at 9.25am

She was lifted up above the curtain - she stared right down at me. The midwife said "A HEALTHY GIRL!"...i called her by her name and DH and i just bawled our eyes out. I got to kiss her forehead before they took her aside for dh to cut the cord. I was a shivering, blubbering mess. She was screaming crying untill she was handed back to me all wrapped up - i held my daughter for the very first time and said "im your mummy" dd had stopped crying and just stared at me for ages.
    All while this was happening i was being stitched up and catheter was inserted - didnt feel a thing as i was numb. The dr's were telling me what they were doing but i didnt care. I had my baby girl now.

The 3 of us stayed in recovery for half an hour. DD latched on beautifuly and fed like a champ. It was instinctive for the both of us. Dh left to change out of his scrubs but was back within 10mins.

To be honest, what i wore in hosp is a bit of a blur but DH said i didnt want to get dressed :/...lol... i think i packed the clothes i was comfy in for the final weeks of my pregnancy which was feeding singlets and footy shorts lol. Plus a new pack of bigger sized black undies. Lots of maternity pads, toiletries.
    This time im packing my dressing gown and button up shirts. I dont think ur gonna be judged on what ur wearing so just go for your own comfort

Thanks
    Reviews
    as for reovery, they got me up and walking day 2. i was discharged day 3. I had low iron so left with iron supliments, voltaren and panadene forte for pain.
    I kept ontop of pain in hosp, took meds when offered and at first wince of pain i'd buzz for relief.
    I was out and about driving lifting pram in and out of car 2 weeks later. Everyone's body will heal differently but i had a really fast recovery and my scar healed perfect.
    In the early days i put a sanitry pad over my scar to protect it from undies line and any knocks ect.
    Goodluck with your birth, im sure it will be special and beautiful as mine was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an emergency CS with DD and my experience was very similar to most PPs. Unlike one PP, I definitely needed maternity pads and had lochia for about the same length of time as most VB mums I know. You can add my vote to granny pants, I had someone run out and get me cottontails - which I hated. I then got some cheap cotton-elastane ones from kmart which had lots of stretch and very soft. Much better!

Check your hospital's policy on how long they like you to stay there. It seems some like 3 days, some 5. Mine was 5 and if this is the case I would suggest packing clothes as well as PJs/nighties. 5 days in sleepwear just starts to feel a bit slobby. Good like, I'm sure it will be a great experience.