Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

I remember going on a school excursion anf having hot chip and sauce sandwiches

I'd be more concerned about build a bear... Is that an educational outing?

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippi01 View Post
    I am also a teacher and ditto to that comment! We have subway orders two days a week at our school and to me that is a treat for them.
    Isnt subway less healthy when you break it all down?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but our school does subway lunches twice a term (we don't have a canteen yet) and the parents fill out a form and the school preorders them
    Yeah I figured this was probably the case I just find subway the most frustrating and annoying place in the universe, the sheer volume of questions I have to answer to get a bread roll enrages me and I had this image of trying to do it with a bunch of kids

All the salads thanks.
    Carrot?
    Yep, all the salads.
    Lettuce?
    ...yeah...all the salads. Everything. Thanks.
    Onion?
    ALL THE EFFING SALADS!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Lmao! I find it hard enough with 2 kids let alone 20 so I get where your coining from totally

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Yeah I figured this was probably the case I just find subway the most frustrating and annoying place in the universe, the sheer volume of questions I have to answer to get a bread roll enrages me and I had this image of trying to do it with a bunch of kids

All the salads thanks.
    Carrot?
    Yep, all the salads.
    Lettuce?
    ...yeah...all the salads. Everything. Thanks.
    Onion?
    ALL THE EFFING SALADS!!!
    lol then there's the type of bread you want, there's like 5 different kinds, the sauce you want. Cheese? is that cheddar? swiss? low fat? just put salad on a freak'n bun ffs lol

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    I dont think I would send my child if they weren't going to eat the same food as others .. I would probably just keep the student home.. I would personally have been mortified if I had a packed lunch while others had fast food

I'm absolutely not saying that it would be the wrong thing to do - but for me, socially it would have been devastating to have a sandwich and fruit, while everyone else had glorious deep fried food (and I know its REALLY bad for you - but to a kid .. its freaking awesome) I struggled enough in primary school as it was
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to send DD to a dedicated fast food joint where she can't eat most of it (she isn't into salads just yet). And yet, it would be really awful to have her miss out on an end of year celebration/reward thing with the rest of her school chums.

DD has always taken different food to things and it hasn't usually been a problem but I would be annoyed at this scenario.

I get the end of year/reward for good behaviour thing but I'm not keen on awards being food related. I think that is also something that can set up a bad relationship with foods.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (02-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

A year ago I'd probably be a bit Erh?? Over it but I'm a bit more relaxed now, I def agree moderation is the key and for an end of year treat it would be fine IMO. DS1 is having an end of year party in class (it's bring a plate savory/sweet he got savory) I don't mind I know there will be some awful foods he is never allowed to eat at home but it's a celebration and I want him to enjoy himself he has really loved kindy and I think it would be nice for him to party with all his friends

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

I wouldn't really have a problem with it. As others have said, its not an every day occurrence and I agree that it supports healthy eating in an everything in moderation way.

And I really don't think there is that many healthy fun places to take a group of 5 year Olds for lunch. I don't really see many sushi out salad bars with playgrounds.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I get the end of year/reward for good behaviour thing but I'm not keen on awards being food related. I think that is also something that can set up a bad relationship with foods.
    I get this it's something in wary of (using food as a reward) I don't mind celebrating with it (birthday cake, seasonal parties) but I can see how food rewards could cause issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    A year ago I'd probably be a bit Erh?? Over it but I'm a bit more relaxed now, I def agree moderation is the key and for an end of year treat it would be fine IMO. DS1 is having an end of year party in class (it's bring a plate savory/sweet he got savory) I don't mind I know there will be some awful foods he is never allowed to eat at home but it's a celebration and I want him to enjoy himself he has really loved kindy and I think it would be nice for him to party with all his friends
    Actually this is a good point. While I find it a little strange that the school has gone for maccas, I wouldn't think twice about the end of class bring a plate scenario. And really you have even leas control there than you do over the maccas. Presumably there'll be some kind of pre ordering system so you could choose their healthy options

Whereas in the bring a plate scenario, if someones kid just brings a huge platef r lollies and chocolates the kids will scarf them down and you wont even know.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast