Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    I'd need to discuss that with the school of course, starting from what their options for 'food outlets' are for excursions, the costs, logistics, parents' opinions, school policies, etc. So I'd need the more details from the school and talk to them/other parents/ school council, etc. I can't just say that 'this needs to be done'. I hold a certain view, but this needs to be discussed with other parents and school staff to arrive at the final scenario.
    Fair enough that sounds like a good place to start. What are you planning to do if other families are happy for their kids to attend macca's? I'm not saying they will or won't, just putting it out there you may need a contingency plan if the parents and school agree a one off is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    The Parents' Jury view is this:

"Incursions and Excursions
    It is important that the foods and drinks available to children during incursions and excursions are also healthy and consistently convey good nutritional messages. This may require a little extra planning if children are being taken out of the school grounds or if external providers are bringing snacks to the school with them.

Teachers may need to discuss the school's requirements with activity providers to ensure that the healthy eating requirements are fully understood. Preparing a simple document outlining the school's nutrition policy is a useful way to convey the right information to external providers."
    Thank you for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Fair enough that sounds like a good place to start. What are you planning to do if other families are happy for their kids to attend macca's? I'm not saying they will or won't, just putting it out there you may need a contingency plan if the parents and school agree a one off is fine.
    Yes I do need a contingency plan don't I? I'm flattered that you're so deeply interested in what I'm going to be deciding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although personally I wouldn't be phased by it (id be more abnoyed about the silly build a bear "excursion" personally) I do think its not the schools place to make this decision. We're talking about a very young kid here. I know so many parents whose 5 year old kids dont eat mcdonalds or similar foods.

As parents we cop so much crap about healthy choices for our kids being our responsibility. So, fine, we take that on board. And then the school just decides to go off book and take them to maccas? It seems weird to me.

Surely if its our responsibility as parents to make all the healthy decisions, and wear the consequences and blame if we dont, then its also our right to decide if and when our kids receive food treats? Without being made to feel uptight or be seen as "the bad guy" I mean.
    Last edited by WineTime; 01-12-2012 at 21:53.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

I don't see an issue with this. I remember when I was at school excursions to pizza hut, maccas all sorts of places and not to mention all the cakes and chips etc in the canteen and there was virtually no over weight kids!

I think if junk food is too off limits it will only make them want it more and when they are old enough to buy food for themselves or put in a situation where there is junk food they will go over board with it. I've seen this happen a lot! If you've set good values at home then a once off visit to maccas won't hurt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

soon2bmumzy  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

But you said your school has a healthy eating policy with fruit like crunch and sip like our school does. So it's not like they are just constantly pushing junk food. If that was the case I would agree with you...
    To me it sounds like they are being consistent. Providing healthy stuff like fruit as u mentioned as every day food and a one off treat at macdonalds as an occasional food.

Healthy eating is all about moderation and not eliminating things all together. Having a balance of good healthy every day choices and the occasional treat. If you ban foods or make a fuss over the occasional indulgence you are setting up the child for possible rebellion when they are old enough to make their own food choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Yes I do need a contingency plan don't I? I'm flattered that you're so deeply interested in what I'm going to be deciding.
    oookkk just trying to be helpful no need to be rude. I'm sure you will work it out OP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't have an issue with it.

It's just one day.

My parents wouldn't let me eat junk ever, so once I had my own income I pigged out.

I think there needs to be some leeway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oookkk just trying to be helpful no need to be rude. I'm sure you will work it out OP.
    Oh I'm not being rude, you have been very interested and helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I totally get you OP- my biggest concern is the consistent use of the word "treat" I would never want DS thinking **** fast food is a treat , I think that's when the problems start - the young kids being conditioned by society, advertising and now schools that McDonalds is a treat or something to aspire getting - if it were my DS I would let him go and if he is anything like my niece he would turn his nose up at it anyway and ask for sushi or a falafel kebab!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (01-12-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast