Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't see the big deal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-12-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c2p08 View Post
    If this was a one off then it wouldn't be that much of a problem to me, but if it was after every excursion then i'd have a problem with it. I understand the double standard you feel, but maybe the lesson should be everything in moderation... Imo use it as a learning thing for your child(ren) and not as a 'oh sh!t why are they doing that' sort of thing...

One of my children is going on an excursion in the next couple of weeks (to a Theme park) and they are stopping at a McDonalds on the way back.
    At first I was but when I thought about it a bit, I decided I was ok with it. It's a once off, and I have spent literally years guiding my kids to make good nutrition choices, and a one off visit to a fast food chain isn't going to undo that. In fact, I think it's a good thing in some ways and I am looking forward to hearing what she thinks when she gets home. She is no stranger to take away (such as Thai etc) but she hasn't been to McDonalds in years (five years we think) and she is very much a foodie (takes after her mother ), I am looking forward to her review

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

delirium  (01-12-2012),Mod-pegasus  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I remember a thread ages ago from a member (who is in this thread lol) in a similar vein. She and her child are vegan, and when her child was in CC the usual candy canes went home in cards. This person didn't like them (I suspect bc of gelatine, but maybe sugar too) and didn't want her child to have them. So rather than demanding the whole DC conform to her beliefs, she simply asked the child not receive candy canes. She doesn't expect everyone else to be vegan, just for their beliefs to be respected.

Could you send a packed lunch with your child OP? that way you keep a healthy diet and she gets to be with her mates and not excluded? I just think it's unfair that you are wanting to dictate how everyone else in the class eats.

Anyway, i hope you find an option that works for you
    I think you need to look for a better choice of words. When did I say I want to dictate what the rest of the class eats? I said we don't know what the other parents want, nor were parents' views considered when it came to this. If I give DD1 a packed lunch, I become the militant mum that you are talking about, which I don't want to. People have just opened my eyes with regards to the role schools play. Peer pressure is an incredible thing, now it's this, later on it could be other issues in teen years....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Loveshack, one thing that chilled me when I was studying policy was the link between junk food marketing to children and the increase in obesity and type 2 diabetes in children. The Parents Jury tries to address this stuff as well as issues in schools. Check out their website you might find some useful info there to arm yourself with for your discussion with the school.
    http://www.parentsjury.org.au/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToonZie For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (01-12-2012),Mulva  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    I think you need to look for a better choice of words. When did I say I want to dictate what the rest of the class eats? I said we don't know what the other parents want, nor were parents' views considered when it came to this. If I give DD1 a packed lunch, I become the militant mum that you are talking about, which I don't want to. People have just opened my eyes with regards to the role schools play. Peer pressure is an incredible thing, now it's this, later on it could be other issues in teen years....
    Relax a bit. I'm just offering an opinion, one that I said I knew not everyone would agree with. You said you didn't want them going to macca's and wanted them to go to a healthy eating place. So you are expecting the class to conform to your opinions. I'm simply trying to offer you options? I suggested you not have her go, you said that wasn't fair on her. Fair enough. So I suggested you send her good food and still let her attend, again you get cranky at me and say that's no good.

What is your best case scenario here? What would you like to see happen?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-12-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It would annoy me. Not necessarily because I think it's going to undo any of the hard work I've done regarding healthy eating options but because we have managed to date to shelter DS from McDonalds products and marketing. I don't like McDonalds, I don't like anything it stands for. I don't like the food, I don't like the set up and as for the smell DS has no idea what a mcdonalds is and I plan on keeping that way for as long as possible. Why can't the kids take their own lunches?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

lones  (02-12-2012),loveshack  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Relax a bit. I'm just offering an opinion, one that I said I knew not everyone would agree with. You said you didn't want them going to macca's and wanted them to go to a healthy eating place. So you are expecting the class to conform to your opinions. I'm simply trying to offer you options? I suggested you not have her go, you said that wasn't fair on her. Fair enough. So I suggested you send her good food and still let her attend, again you get cranky at me and say that's no good.

What is your best case scenario here? What would you like to see happen?
    I'd need to discuss that with the school of course, starting from what their options for 'food outlets' are for excursions, the costs, logistics, parents' opinions, school policies, etc. So I'd need the more details from the school and talk to them/other parents/ school council, etc. I can't just say that 'this needs to be done'. I hold a certain view, but this needs to be discussed with other parents and school staff to arrive at the final scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think eating at mcdonalds is going to lead to anything horrible. I mean you really only have a few choices, not let it bother you and let her enjoy herself, keep her home and she misses out completely or send her to school with a packed lunch or ask the teacher to get her a happy meal with the healthy choices.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    Loveshack, one thing that chilled me when I was studying policy was the link between junk food marketing to children and the increase in obesity and type 2 diabetes in children. The Parents Jury tries to address this stuff as well as issues in schools. Check out their website you might find some useful info there to arm yourself with for your discussion with the school.
    http://www.parentsjury.org.au/
    The Parents' Jury view is this:

"Incursions and Excursions
    It is important that the foods and drinks available to children during incursions and excursions are also healthy and consistently convey good nutritional messages. This may require a little extra planning if children are being taken out of the school grounds or if external providers are bringing snacks to the school with them.

Teachers may need to discuss the school's requirements with activity providers to ensure that the healthy eating requirements are fully understood. Preparing a simple document outlining the school's nutrition policy is a useful way to convey the right information to external providers."

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd need to discuss that with the school of course, starting from what their options for 'food outlets' are for excursions, the costs, logistics, parents' opinions, school policies, etc. So I'd need the more details from the school and talk to them/other parents/ school council, etc. I can't just say that 'this needs to be done'. I hold a certain view, but this needs to be discussed with other parents and school staff to arrive at the final scenario.
    T
    hats an awful lot to do over 1 mcdonalds trip. I think you are making this a much bigger deal than it is

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast