Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If the OP is raising her child to eat and live healthy, I hardly think one cheese burger is going to unravel that. I think being super uptight about food can have the opposite desired effect.

Of course that's JMO and I'm sure others will disagree.
    I agree, a once off to mcdonalds isnt goint unravel everything you are trying to teach her but not letting her go would prob really upset her.

Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    This is not just about it being a 'rare' thing, nor is it about being uptight about food. We can only model good eating options and try to stick to them as much as we can. Schools have a choice though, they are not a 'parent'. I'd pay more for a better place for lunch than McDonald's for the excursion.
    Other parents may not be willing to pay more. So should all the kids be required to go somewhere that 1 kid can eat at? Also I thought Subway wasnt even as healthy as Mcdonalds.

It wouldn't bother me and I would even send extra money for an ice cream too. Sounds fun they can play on the playground, yell scream and have fun while eating yummy food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If this was a one off then it wouldn't be that much of a problem to me, but if it was after every excursion then i'd have a problem with it. I understand the double standard you feel, but maybe the lesson should be everything in moderation... Imo use it as a learning thing for your child(ren) and not as a 'oh sh!t why are they doing that' sort of thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Fine with it. Obviously not something I want DD eating regularly but I put a school excursion in the box with cake at birthdays, feasts at Xmas etc. All part of a moderate, healthy childhood.
    I'm all for heathy eating but being extremely militant about food (especially to little girls) is about as unhelpful as being extremely lax when it comes to setting your child up with healthy habits for the future.

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't see the big deal. Its a one off treat. Seem to remember maybe doing this once as a kid. Remember getting fish and chips delivered to the school once in yr 6 for end of yr. I don't think it's setting a bad example, that would b doing it every week. Also they have heathy things there if need b.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I agree, a once off to mcdonalds isnt goint unravel everything you are trying to teach her but not letting her go would prob really upset her.

Other parents may not be willing to pay more. So should all the kids be required to go somewhere that 1 kid can eat at? Also I thought Subway wasnt even as healthy as Mcdonalds.

It wouldn't bother me and I would even send extra money for an ice cream too. Sounds fun they can play on the playground, yell scream and have fun while eating yummy food
    It's not about unravelling what I'm telling her, just the fact that people are missing the huge role that schools have to play in shaping kids' eating habits. My point is-why can't they be consistent?
    I'm not sure if cost was the reason for taking kids to maccas, but I'm going to find out.
    Either people are blind or they are acting blind---maccas/kfc/hungry jack's....all of them are associated with 'junk food'......of all the places to go to....

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't be happy about it. DD begs for McDonald's all the time. I have to be the mean mum who always says no because her dad takes her a lot so I never get to. It would be like - even school is nicer than mum and takes me to mcdonalds!!! Thanks for reinforcing me as the bad guy, school.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Ahhhh the good old days... Where maccas equals fun and a treat.
    I have fond memories of eating maccas at school excursions.
    Yet 15 years ago there was hardly any over weight kids.
    I really don't think maccas is the problem.
    Pretty much this, my school never did many excursions and there wasn't a Maccas in my town (which I know is a rarity now) so if we went out over lunchtime Maccas was a huge treat and cheap for our parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not about unravelling what I'm telling her, just the fact that people are missing the huge role that schools have to play in shaping kids' eating habits. My point is-why can't they be consistent?
    I'm not sure if cost was the reason for taking kids to maccas, but I'm going to find out.
    Either people are blind or they are acting blind---maccas/kfc/hungry jack's....all of them are associated with 'junk food'......of all the places to go to....
    But its just a occasional thing isnt it not like weekly? Sure schools play a role but ultimately its us parents that need to raise the kids the way we feel right. I dont think its a big deal

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

millsmum  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I remember a thread ages ago from a member (who is in this thread lol) in a similar vein. She and her child are vegan, and when her child was in CC the usual candy canes went home in cards. This person didn't like them (I suspect bc of gelatine, but maybe sugar too) and didn't want her child to have them. So rather than demanding the whole DC conform to her beliefs, she simply asked the child not receive candy canes. She doesn't expect everyone else to be vegan, just for their beliefs to be respected.

Could you send a packed lunch with your child OP? that way you keep a healthy diet and she gets to be with her mates and not excluded? I just think it's unfair that you are wanting to dictate how everyone else in the class eats.

Anyway, i hope you find an option that works for you

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-12-2012),Lovemyfam  (01-12-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    But you said your school has a healthy eating policy with fruit like crunch and sip like our school does. So it's not like they are just constantly pushing junk food. If that was the case I would agree with you...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast