Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    lol @ a whole class of 5 year olds ordering at subway. You'd be there all freaking day!

Now, what bread would you like?
    Which meat?
    which salads? All of them? Ok! Oh, not carrot.
    Cheese?
    Which drink?
    Ok, here you go Mary, go sit down with your roll. Ok, next kid, which bread?
    Repeat x 20

Sorry, it was just a funny image

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (02-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    If the OP is raising her child to eat and live healthy, I hardly think one cheese burger is going to unravel that. I think being super uptight about food can have the opposite desired effect.

Of course that's JMO and I'm sure others will disagree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and there is no way this would fly at our school!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (02-12-2012),loveshack  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's appropriate to take the kids to maccas. Every excursion we ever went on in school, we had to take lunch. It was against the rules to buy lunch. Not all parents can afford or want their children to eat fast food.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy90 For This Useful Post:

lones  (02-12-2012),loveshack  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Well here is where it gets really challenging, if I say 'no', my daughter's going to feel left out. I got the same suggestion from her teacher when I questioned her motives in giving sweets as rewards for good behaviour -"Would you like her to be exempted from the sweets I give out?".
    In these formative years, everything that parents do, especially schools as well play an important role in shaping a child's behaviour/outlook, this is where the school has lost it. I don't understand-why they can't they choose a healthy option? Why can't they show that they can go to 'a healthy food place' for fun?
    I do get where you are coming from. Clearly you are a loving, caring mum that wants to do the best by her child. But the issue here is that you are expecting, effectively, that the whole class has to live by your strict eating rules. bc you have in essence said that you don't want your child to be excluded ( and I totally get that btw) and would rather they never get any treats/maccas etc.

Not every parent is as strict with eating. in our house it's a 90/10 rule. Good fruit/veg/dairy 90% of the time and junk as a treat 10%. So I guess your choice is either to remove her from the excursion or allow her a cheese burger.

I hope that didn't come across rude, not the way it was intended

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-12-2012),millsmum  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is not just about it being a 'rare' thing, nor is it about being uptight about food. We can only model good eating options and try to stick to them as much as we can. Schools have a choice though, they are not a 'parent'. I'd pay more for a better place for lunch than McDonald's for the excursion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

An excursion to build a bear? Isn't that a shop? Why would a school take them there?
    I would be upset they go to mcdonalds as well, it's a shame when the school encourages bad eating, they should take them somewhere the kids can experience different kinds of food , my nieces school took the year 6 girls to tepannyaki at a Japanese restaurant when they went on an excursion to see Annie last term which I thought was great ( and the kids loved it)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-12-2012),loveshack  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Yeah I'm sort of failing to see the point of any of the excursion. Oh wait is it an end-of-year thing? Like once the teachers have run out of stuff to teach and the last 2 weeks is just a bludge? Then fair game I say. But if it's meant to be edumacational, I can't figure out how going to a toy shop and Maccas fits in anywhere in the curriculum.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I do get where you are coming from. Clearly you are a loving, caring mum that wants to do the best by her child. But the issue here is that you are expecting, effectively, that the whole class has to live by your strict eating rules. bc you have in essence said that you don't want your child to be excluded ( and I totally get that btw) and would rather they never get any treats/maccas etc.

Not every parent is as strict with eating. in our house it's a 90/10 rule. Good fruit/veg/dairy 90% of the time and junk as a treat 10%. So I guess your choice is either to remove her from the excursion or allow her a cheese burger.

I hope that didn't come across rude, not the way it was intended
    I'm not as strict with eating as I'd like to be, but yes I do limit junk foods and sweets. My point here is that we as parents struggle to feed kids healthy foods, with all their whining when they even see vegies. What excuse do schools have? And we don't even know what the rest of the kids/their parents want to eat--were they consulted before this was decided? There maybe parents who are not happy with it. What is the school's excuse for taking the kids to maccas? A one-off? Why Maccas for a one-off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first thought was why on earth are they going to build a bear?
    If the McDonalds is a one off i wouldnt mind too much. You could always order from the healthy menu.