Closed Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Yep, times are different now. We are all so busy that take away becomes a more regular event.
    it seems, but we need to really educate people on this because in actual fact it's much faster to whip together a yummy, healthy meal than waiting the 20mins at the take-away shop it takes them to get the food to you. There's so many dishes one can prepare in ten mins - stir fry's, wraps, San chow bow... It takes a few minutes to throw some veggies in the steamer/pan and grill some crumbed cutlets/chicken/fish. It's easy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Is a school only setting a good example if there is a blanket ban on ALL junk food ALL the time?

Unfortunately schools can't please everyone. Anyone, really!

We set healthy food guidelines and then get told to 'mind our own business' by parents when trying to enforce them.

Then when we have 'red' food days twice a year where 'junk' food is allowed and we get told by other parents that we should be 'setting an example'.

Personally I wouldn't mind if my kids went to McDonalds on an excursion.

I would think that the reason that McDonalds was chosen would be because of it's mass appeal. By that I mean that I would guarantee that (probably) EVERY child in the class would be able to find something that they would eat there.

It would be all very well to take the kids for sushi or something more healthy, but if only half of the kids would actually eat it, the point is lost.

Sure the kids could bring their own lunches, but I bet that at least 95% of those kids are really looking forward to their McDonald's lunch! Mostly for the novelty, not the 'junkiness' of it. I know my class would love it! I don't see the harm in a once off.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Here Kitty For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-12-2012),atomicmama  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Feel free to go ahead and post in the thread I just started black eyes pea, pls note I am 38 weeks pregnant with a sore pelvis with my 5th child and work full time and standing in the kitchen at the end of the day cooking (in addition to the other stuff I have to do daily ie laundry) is heinous

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    it seems, but we need to really educate people on this because in actual fact it's much faster to whip together a yummy, healthy meal than waiting the 20mins at the take-away shop it takes them to get the food to you. There's so many dishes one can prepare in ten mins - stir fry's, wraps, San chow bow... It takes a few minutes to throw some veggies in the steamer/pan and grill some crumbed cutlets/chicken/fish. It's easy.
    I know how to cook and to be honest, I am sometimes to tired by the end of the day to spend 20 minutes to put together a meal. But since there isn't really any takeaway we can have, it is usually a toast night when that happens. I'm talking nights when we don't get home till 6:30, so putting together a meal isn't always doable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Yes exactly, and do schools promoting McDonald's as a fun option aggravate the issue of obesity? What are they showing kids?
    That McDonalds is a fun option SOMETIMES and the rest of the time we eat healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also know how to cook, and sorry but it's not quicker to cook a meal for 7 people than get takeaway, bearing in mind that the 20'mins you spend waiting for takeaway could be spent doing other housework that is waiting to be done after work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

I remember at school going on an excursion to McDonalds. Not just to eat, but did a full tour of the place.

I also think that sometimes cooking is not the issue, its quick to cook it and then takes time to clean up all the mess.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's why I love my slow cooker! On days when its full on and I know I'm not going to have the energy or the will to cook, I just chuck something on in the morning and away we go. Like today...we're having a tuna and pasta casserole! Yum!

But we have t-away too...usually about once a fortnight if that and usually it's pizza as it's more economical for us. And maybe a lunch outing if I'm out with the littlies we might have something at the food court or maccas or something. I think teaching my kids moderation and good food vs sometimes food (I don't call any of it junk or bad) is my responsibility.

I couldn't care less what the school promotes as I'm the parent and what I say gives presedence. Just so happens that our school has the same 'moderation' thing going on so we have pizza parties and all sorts of things going on (especially this time of year and yes it IS a celebration) but tuck shop is getting more and more health orientated which just so happens to co-incides to what I teach.

Thanks
    Reviews

Deserama did you do the entire tuna with pasta in the slow cooker? Have thought about breaking out the slow cooker but its so bloody hot, actually not sure i can eat a casserole type meal ATM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Deserama did you do the entire tuna with pasta in the slow cooker? Have thought about breaking out the slow cooker but its so bloody hot, actually not sure i can eat a casserole type meal ATM
    Yep!

Yeh it's hot but we'll eat later when it's cooled down a bit. We have relatively cool nights here