Closed Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    But maccas doesn't even taste good?! I really find it tasting revolting. And I keep wondering how on earth they manage to sell this so cheap. How much do they pay their employees? What kind of meat and other ingredients do they buy?

I must be a foodie, but I remember foundly the burger nights at home with brioche topped up with swiss cheese and grilled in the oven, while steaks were cooking in a pan with some onions. We would put them together with tomato, salad, cornichon and homemade mayonnaise. Aaaaaah to die for!!!
    That's a treat in my books :-p

Now I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight
    Sorry, hit thanks instead of quote. They pay their employees above the award wage. They are also able to keep the costs down by owning and using most, if not all, of their own ingredients as well as supplying all McDonalds franchises with nearly everything, right down to the paper. If you think about it too, a massive corporation has the power of bulk buying.

McDonalds is also a really good job to have on your resume when you leave school as they generally teach great customer service, teamwork and food handling skills.

Ps, I have never worked there but know several people that have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I agree with you love shack and also I know a big problem for me with weight is the whole concept of junk food being a treat - I think in this day and age with crap food *everywhere* it's more important than ever for kids not to get that whole idea of food as treat / comfort instilled
    But no, this is the whole point people are trying to get across - the problem isn't when junk food is an occasional treat... It's because for so many people its not a treat, it's a regular thing.. It's the opposite of a treat!

We didn't have issues with obesity when we were kids... Yet we still had maccas around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Oh my goodness this thread has gone way off track....This wasn't about food choices made by parents. And yes, my daughter has lollies and cake at birthday parties she goes to, I'm not against any of these. She's aware of what is healthy and what is not.
    This thread was about the school choosing to take the kids to McDonald's as part of the excursion for lunch, and other better options that they could have chosen. It's about the role schools play in promoting healthy eating habits. It's about schools and teachers being role models for young children. I'm still in shock, everywhere I look there are stories about obesity and diabetes, and the one role model that kids have-their teacher, their school, chooses to go to McDonald's. Maybe I need to wake up. I grew up seeing my teachers as imparting wisdom, sensibility, advice.....when I came home, mum used to as, "What did Ms. ... say today?". I guess it's changing now, I can't expect the same from today's schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    But no, this is the whole point people are trying to get across - the problem isn't when junk food is an occasional treat... It's because for so many people its not a treat, it's a regular thing.. It's the opposite of a treat!

We didn't have issues with obesity when we were kids... Yet we still had maccas around.
    Yes exactly, and do schools promoting McDonald's as a fun option aggravate the issue of obesity? What are they showing kids?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Now I want McDonalds
    Hahahaha London :-) me too! I just said to dh he should go get me a cheese burger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think some people are using the word "treat," in a different way.

I think some are using "treat" as in, "something we have only occasionally." Others are using "treat," as "as part of a celebration, part of a reward, etc etc."

I'm okay with the first option (as an occasional thing to have), but not the second (as a reward). I think attaching that sentiment to food, does not set up a child for a good relationship with food at all.

We weren't given junk food regularly as children, but we were for "fun," or for a reward. It was, "Oh, you got good marks on your report card... would you like Maccas for dinner?" So I've attached maccas to "feeling good," because that's how it worked. Fun times and junk food were linked. So... when I feel down and need a pick-me-up... I turn to all those foods I was given as rewards to help score that some emotion they used to be attached to. And... I got to 110kg.

So for me, personally, I don't want food to have that attachment with DD. Maccas happens on occasion. Usually when I'm too lazy to cook or I'm sick or something. It's not "to celebrate," though of course, we do celebrate with food at Christmas, but it's not extremely unhealthy... it's a roast meal, not junk.

That's my whole stance on junk and treats anyway...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-12-2012),loveshack  (02-12-2012),shelle65  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think these days, there does need to be a consistent approach and push to make healthy food normal etc.... I agree schools should be setting an example.

I would be disappointed if my kids school fed them maccas because I do think its gross and unhealthy and has no benefits at all. My own kids do it eat it too and this bothers me! I honestly wish it just didn't exist as its so tempting an option when you're tired and people need feeding.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (02-12-2012),ToonZie  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Yes exactly, and do schools promoting McDonald's as a fun option aggravate the issue of obesity? What are they showing kids?
    I don't know - how often does it happen? Every week or two? Not good. Once a year? Fine IMO

Thanks
    Reviews

I totally agree with sassy , maccas was an occasional treat when I was a kid but fast forward to a different age when people are busy, work, maccas is cheap and quick, and we have a situation in which the average Australian family spends 40% of their weekly food allowance on takeaway.

I feel sick going to food courts in which there is array of food options including many healthy ones and at least 80% of people will be sitting there eating maccas and most of them are fat too.

It is a problem.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, times are different now. We are all so busy that take away becomes a more regular event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any if those packet preserved foods are gross though, packet noodles and all that other crap, none of which I buy as I cook everything from scratch. I guess that's why I don't mind occasional treats - DS is only 2 anyway so doesn't eat maccas. I was talking from our perspective as kids. When we got to have maccas it was awesome. Mum hated it but let us have it every now and then. As a parent, I never buy take-out at all, ever. I wonder when DS will start asking for it.