Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Hang on Sonja I didn't insult your opinion I responded to your insinuation that anyone who allows their child to eat maccas once in a blue moon is in effect feeding them sh*t! You must have known how high and mighty that sounded. My point was that all food comes into contact with poo in one form or another.

By the by, I never commented that people who never allow maccas are wowsers or anything else - I simply said its fine as a treat once in a while if the kids like it.

Not cool.

I'm going to look up that poo thing too cos I'm like :O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But maccas doesn't even taste good?! I really find it tasting revolting. And I keep wondering how on earth they manage to sell this so cheap. How much do they pay their employees? What kind of meat and other ingredients do they buy?

I must be a foodie, but I remember foundly the burger nights at home with brioche topped up with swiss cheese and grilled in the oven, while steaks were cooking in a pan with some onions. We would put them together with tomato, salad, cornichon and homemade mayonnaise. Aaaaaah to die for!!!
    That's a treat in my books :-p

Now I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My comment was not high and mighty. It was in response to the other posters who say it's a treat, it's only once in a blue moon etc like those who never go there are being wowsers or setting their kids up for bad food choices later in life.

And the boring comment wasn't rude? I found it rude. My kids love their school and the simplicity of their life their which doesn't result in people starting threads in public forums . sometimes it's not just one post the cumulative effect of a few.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My comment was not high and mighty. It was in response to the other posters who say it's a treat, it's only once in a blue moon etc like those who never go there are being wowsers or setting their kids up for bad food choices later in life.
    never said anything remotely like this about parents who never allow maccas... Never said anything about those parents at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't just responding to you!! Can I not make that any clearer or do I need to quote the other posters?

Anyway I'm over it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my goodness this thread has gone way off track....This wasn't about food choices made by parents. And yes, my daughter has lollies and cake at birthday parties she goes to, I'm not against any of these. She's aware of what is healthy and what is not.
    This thread was about the school choosing to take the kids to McDonald's as part of the excursion for lunch, and other better options that they could have chosen. It's about the role schools play in promoting healthy eating habits. It's about schools and teachers being role models for young children. I'm still in shock, everywhere I look there are stories about obesity and diabetes, and the one role model that kids have-their teacher, their school, chooses to go to McDonald's. Maybe I need to wake up. I grew up seeing my teachers as imparting wisdom, sensibility, advice.....when I came home, mum used to as, "What did Ms. ... say today?". I guess it's changing now, I can't expect the same from today's schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But maybe the 'healthy eating' message is that McDonalds is a 'sometimes food' and so you only have it on the odd occasion? Why can't this be the healthy eating message?

I think you need to choose your battles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

I agree with you love shack and also I know a big problem for me with weight is the whole concept of junk food being a treat - I think in this day and age with crap food *everywhere* it's more important than ever for kids not to get that whole idea of food as treat / comfort instilled

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (02-12-2012),MINIRoo  (03-12-2012),ToonZie  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    But maccas doesn't even taste good?! I really find it tasting revolting. And I keep wondering how on earth they manage to sell this so cheap. How much do they pay their employees? What kind of meat and other ingredients do they buy?
    People do have differences in taste. YOu mentioned swiss cheese and mayonnaise, two things I will absolutely never eat because I think they taste vile. If I were president of the world, I'd ban mayo. It ruins everything. I hate it that much. lol.

I was with a chef (DD's father) who worked at an award-winning restaurant, so I am used to good quality food as well, but I still enjoyed McDonalds. So did he. I don't anymore, but only because of my operation.

As for Maccas pay, I worked there a few years ago. As a casual in her early 20s, I got $24 an hour (approx). That's more than I'll be getting as a junior beauty therapist, and perhaps more than I'll be getting once my "junior" period is up (after a year) depending where I work. It is less for teenagers, but it's less for them everywhere. I think McDonalds make a lot of their money simply because they sell A LOT of food. Our store would easily make $1000s in just an hour, not even during the peak trading times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanaynay View Post
    And why do people keep saying 'McDonalds is a treat' - blergh! Really? Do people treat or reward their children with it?

It's fast, cheap, and convenient. Not a treat.
    It's a treat in our house! Certainly not an everyday thing. It's a sometimes thing. Yum yum yum!!!