Closed Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to be deadset against Maccas re: healthy choices, but my daughter does choose the seared wrap with apples and juice or water, not because she is forced but because she wants the healthy choice, so I figure I've given her the background at home to enable her to make the healthy choices on her own.

In saying that, when my son is with me, he'll make the healthy choices, but when he's with his friends when they order the cheeseburger, he'll also order the cheese burger so he's like his friends

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    I got the same suggestion from her teacher when I questioned her motives in giving sweets as rewards for good behaviour -"Would you like her to be exempted from the sweets I give out?".
    I don't like the idea of McDonald's on a school excursion either, but I'm much more worried about this. Lollies as rewards? BIG no-no, I'd be complaining loudly

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (02-12-2012),moongazer  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I don't like the idea of McDonald's on a school excursion either, but I'm much more worried about this. Lollies as rewards? BIG no-no, I'd be complaining loudly
    I agree. Maccas on an excursion,meh. Lollies as rewards much bigger issue imo.

Not sure why everybody is so down on the Build a Bear excursion. Loads of educational stuff in that. The students may have been doing a unit on design and technology - often this comes under toys. Their writing would focus on writing a design brief for their bear and an explanation of how they made it. When they are building the bear there are lots of considerations and decisions for them to make, lots of fine motor skill development (hugely important in prep). My only gripe would be that it's at the end of the unit instead of the beginning to get kids to develop questions and investigations. I don't like excursions used as rewards, they're not, they're massively important in directing learning opportunities. Even ones to the shops, where there is so much maths, working in teams etc. Sometimes the merit of an excursion may not be obvious but there should always be educational links.
    Last edited by babyla; 02-12-2012 at 07:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    I agree with BigRedV. For a once off excursion I don't think it's a big deal at all.
    Yep totally agree ....not a big deal at all ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: School taking kids to McDonald's for lunch--I'm dumbfounded!

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Ahhhh the good old days... Where maccas equals fun and a treat.
    I have fond memories of eating maccas at school excursions.
    Yet 15 years ago there was hardly any over weight kids.
    I really don't think maccas is the problem.
    ^ this

OP i can see where you are ccoming from but look at it like a treat. It's great that you are teaching your children good eating habits. I personally think though that if they are never allowed Maccas they may eat it all the time when they can start making their own food decisions they may go overboard. You may even find that your child might hate the taste and will be put off it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I'd be upset too. In my times, school would provide kids with a piece of bread, some ham, 1 tomato, a small packet of chips, water and 1 fruit. That was lunch. In a park. It was also fun and cheap.

ETA Maccas is so NOT a treat... its crap food that taste like it. A treat is a nice home made cake, a croissant or a brioche with chocolate.
    Agree with this ^^ and another PP who said they disagreed with Their whole intense marketing strategies and background on how the food gets to the table.

I want my son to grow up thinking a treat is something special, like a macaroon, a lamington, or an ice block.

I really wouldn't be terribly happy about it as part of a school trip. Not sure I'd be terribly happy about Make-A-Bear as a school excursion either though, but I guess I don't know the context. Perhaps there is some educational value in it that I can't see.

OP would be interested to see what the school says in their email response to yours.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BluePixie For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    It would annoy me. Not necessarily because I think it's going to undo any of the hard work I've done regarding healthy eating options but because we have managed to date to shelter DS from McDonalds products and marketing. I don't like McDonalds, I don't like anything it stands for. I don't like the food, I don't like the set up and as for the smell DS has no idea what a mcdonalds is and I plan on keeping that way for as long as possible. Why can't the kids take their own lunches?
    I agree. My son has no idea what McDonald's is, as we're vegetarian and don't go. I am not holier than thou about junk food - my son eats too many sweet things, but I really can't stand McDonald's.

Schools should be setting a high standard and modelling optimal behaviour. Surely the kids taking a packed lunch would be better anyway.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (02-12-2012),Sonja  (02-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Like others have said, don't send them on the excursion, order the healthy option, or get over it and look at it as a one off. If the school was offering it every term or every few weeks I'd be concerned, but not once a year.

Thanks
    Reviews

My kids eat McDonalds - but I would have a huge problem with this!

Our school would never go to McDonalds in a million years, but if we were at a school that did, I'd definitely be doing something about it.

FWIW, Subway would actually be a far easier choice to take the kids to, as they can pre-order from a very simple set of choices and then fax the order in the day before

Thanks
    Reviews

And why do people keep saying 'McDonalds is a treat' - blergh! Really? Do people treat or reward their children with it?

It's fast, cheap, and convenient. Not a treat.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shanaynay For This Useful Post:

babycake  (02-12-2012),ExcuseMyFrench  (02-12-2012),MINIRoo  (03-12-2012)