+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Why ask me to do it, if you can't trust me to do it properly?

Last night, I did make-up for a friend's professional photo shoot for her band. I did it for free, and thought it'd be a good, fun thing and a good way to build my portfolio.

It was just... horrible.

Here's why:

-I had to get DP to finish work early so I could do it... so he earnt less money for what should have been a good move for me, but wasn't, so that sucks.

-I woke at 5.30am for college, and got home at just before 1am because of this photoshoot... so was out of my house, doing stuff all day, for that long... and it wasn't even worth it

-My friend told me the shoot was at 5.30, so I made sure I was there on time... then apparently it's actually at 7.30pm so I spend that time bumming around her house while she showers and whatnot

-She was driving (I'd used trains because it's the only way I could get there from college on time, so my car was left at my station, about 50km away), and when I asked if we could get dinner, she said there'd be food at the shoot. Cool. Nope - no food. Nothing. So I basically didn't eat at all from 12.30pm until 12.30am when I had nuggets as we drove home.

-The shoot was supposed to finish in time for me to be driven back to my car at 11pm. I had a friend pick me up from the shoot (a GOOD friend, who drove 50km to get me at that time of night, just cos she's awesome and offered) at 11pm... god knows when I'd have gotten home if I had to wait until the shoot was over.

All that was irritating... but the worst part?

She was micro-managing the make-up job. Now, she's seen what I can do, so obviously must have felt I was good at it (I know it sounds braggy, but that's one place I excell in beauty, and I enjoy doing it).. yet the WHOLE TIME she was like, "nope, you're not allowed to use your the professional stuff... just my stuff." Um... okay.

Then she put on her own foundation... and it was too light. I tried to explain that with the bright white lighting the photographer was going to use (checked with him beforehand) she'd look washed out... and begged her to let me remove it and reapply something else. Nope. I could get stuffed. Even me taking a photo with the iPhone flash to prove it had her telling me off.

I explained, when I first was asked to do the shoot (24 hours before it took place) that if she looked in the mirror she'd be like "WTF? What have you done to me?" but that it was just what was necessary for the lighting involved, blah blah.. .and would look normal and not OTT on camera. She was cool with this... until it happened. Then when I again went on about lighting, she was all, "Well, I don't know where you're getting this information... we had the same text books at college." Um, yes, we did, but what we did was much more basic than what I covered during my other make-up course, which you know I did, so stfu and listen to me. I know what I'm talking about.

But whatever, she wouldn't let me change it, so that was that.

I started on the eyes. She kept stopping to play with the photographer's cat (his studio is in part of his house), or calling out to her band mates, or effing singing... making her move everywhere and making me stop her make-up application... or looking in the mirror every 5 seconds to complain. And THEN had the hide to tell me I was taking too long. WTF?! You're spending too much time effing around, and THAT is why this is taking forever. Sit still and let me do it, and it'll be over a lot sooner! She was also, "OMG you need to blend this more!" because she kept looking into teh mirror every 5 seconds... before I had even finished.

A small thing annoyed me when I applied her false lashes... I said that they looked quite thick and long, so when her eyes were open, there was just a mass of black, and then eyebrows, so it looked OTT and weird. That shorter, less full ones that were still dramatic, but less so, would be better. She called in bandmates, the photographer and the photographer's sister (lives there) for an opinion. The men were obviously kind of clueless, but she was still leaning towards keeping them on UNTIL the photographer's sister came in and said what I'd just said. Then she pretty much tore them off. So some random you've never met has a better opinion than someone who knows you, who is putting her name to this make-up, who is trained to do this stuff...?

When it came time for blush, I got "You can use this colour, and this colour, using this brush. This is how I apply it." Actually, a lot of the application was "this is what I do, so do it that way." Why get me to waste my time if you could have just done it yourself? I was getting annoyed at this point so just did what I wanted. I knew she needed darker cheeks, so I gave them to her, and she went mental.

She wouldn't let me apply her lipstick and told me off when I went near her with liquid liner. Not because she's allergic or anything, she just wanted me to do something that wouldn't work (line they very inner corner of her eye so that the line didn't just stop where the lashes did).

So basically, I didn't really do much other than follow direct orders for eye makeup, and enforce a few small tweaks that I got abused for doing.

The photographer did some test shots, obviously realised her face was way whiter than her body (her own stupid doing) and changed the lighting... he made it a warmer, softer light after that, so it looked okay in the photos... but I was embarrassed. He must have thought I was some clueless idiot, and that it was my fault.

Then today? She talks about her photos on FB... and thanks the photographer, her bandmates (who did little more than watch and drink beer) and one of their gfs for lending a few outfits. Not me though.

I was pretty much as NICE AS PIE there too. Apart from saying, "Okay, you just need to breathe... I know what I'm doing, I'm not going to make you look horrible, why would I want to do that?" and "I know that it looks scary in hte mirror... but trust me... I need to darken it because of the lighting he's using," and stuff like that, I was smiling and pretending to not be wanting to smack her in the mouth.

I suppose as a make-up artist you're going to get horrible clients from time-to-time... but jeez, not your friends... they'll be people who'll be paying you, not who you're doing a favour for and wasting heaps of your time for, when you're bloody tired and just want to be at home... and at least jerk clients pay and you're away from them in an hour or so.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. She seriously offended and angered me. More than anything, she just didn't trust my ability to do a good job, which makes me want to know why the hell she wanted me there in the first place?! Grrrr...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Wow, what a cr@ppy experience!

She really should have done her own make-up, considering she thinks she is the font of all knowledge when it comes to make-up application.

I would be feeling very sour & unappreciated if I was in your shoes. You obviously know what you are doing, so it would be quite insulting to be bossed around like that.

Then no thank you? Seriously, she sounds like a real bish!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, anyone who has ever been involved in having professional photos taken knows you will look like sh!t in the mirror/in person and fab on camera.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have given her a monobrow with water resistant liner and told her to **** off.

Dumb cow.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to P0tat0gem For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-12-2012),babycart  (03-12-2012),Boobycino  (01-12-2012),CupidsVictim  (01-12-2012),delirium  (01-12-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (01-12-2012),shhhsleeping  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

That is a client from hell. Sorry you had such an awful time

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by P0tat0gem View Post
    I would have given her a monobrow with water resistant liner and told her to **** off.

Dumb cow.
    Haaaa - a thick black Permanent Marker would do the trick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yikes. I would have been furious at having my time wasted like that. That girl sounds like an ungrateful, immature git.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think at the very least, she owes you an apology for not thanking you.

How ungracious.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (01-12-2012),shhhsleeping  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Thanks
    Reviews

What a bish! I'd be telling her off for sure and certainly not doing any more favors!