+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are your thoughts on this?

I think it's rude and condescending. IMO it suggests women care more about cake than planning an preparing for their child birth and baby! Pft!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I don't think it's a fair comparison.

How do you spend 132 hours preparing for childbirth? Reading book after book? Attending birth classes every day? Seriously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It makes sense to me.

I went in thinking I didn't need research. I read a few books, but nothing too info-based. I went in thinking my body would just do its job. What I hadn't anticipated is that it doing its thing would be inhibited by people who said they knew better... and that I didn't know enough to agree/disagree with what they were telling me.

I think research can only be a good thing. You may not use anything you learn... but if a situation arises where you need to think about something, it's surely much better to know what's going on with your body, your experience, your health, your baby's health, etc... than to just shrug and go, "Yep, okay," and hope for the best. If I didn't do just that, I think my experience could have been a much better one.

ETA - I don't think it's suggesting you actually sit down and spend that long preparing... but rather trying to get you to think about it... like, you spend that much on a wedding... that is unlikely to at all impact your mental or physical health (or that of your child).... surely it's a good idea to perhaps spend at least a BIT of time researching?

I've also had more than 7 years between DD's birth, and another (I'm not even pregnant), so I've spent a fair bit of time researching. I know I've had more time than many others, but regardless of how much time you have, it would probably be a good idea to at least do a little...
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 01-12-2012 at 19:24.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree! I read so much with my first, second and third pregnancy that during my third whilst discussing what complications I was having during birth and what complications I had discussed with my obstetrician before birth I was asked "so how long have you been a midwife?" haha
    I'm now fourth and fifth pregnancy down and I'm gonna say I'm a walking talking pregnancy and childbirth encyclopedia ! Wedding on the other hand, meh I ordered the first thing I seen for everything! No effort at all ;-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-12-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks fearless leader

Interesting to see others opinions

And oops I didnt realize it was an advertisement

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fine with the fact that I spent much longer preparing for my wedding. I didn't invite 100 people to my childbirth.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-12-2012),DarcyJ  (02-12-2012),Disbride  (03-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weddings are a whole different type of planning. I really think there's only so much you can research pregnancy and birth. Especially if you've already done it before. Coordinating an event isn't really the same IMO. You really need to be on the ball to make sure everything goes as planned. Childbirth to me is more of a sit back and let it happen kind of thing.

This is my first but I've been reading up on childbirth and what to expect since we started TTC. I really don't think there is much more new information for me to find out, at least not anything that I need to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read up anything on the actual birth because TBH it scares the bejeezas out of me!

As time gets closer I will definitely read up on it more though, because I hate going into anything blind, and especially something like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I read more or less. to be honest I haven't read much about giving birth and I am pregnant with number 5. I have had 4 good pregnancies nd 4 easy births... I do what I want and don't care what anyone else says I am not into all the modern stuff with birth.
    To me as long as my baby is here healthy I don't care how it came out