+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Question What are your thoughts on this?

Popped up on my fb newsfeed and it made me wonder what other people think about it. For my first I did none (that went well lol) my second I did a fair bit of reading and for number 3 I did a hell of a lot, enough that I felt comfortable giving birth unassisted (I felt comfortable knowing I would know when something was not right, when to seek assistance and a bit of emergency childbirth stuff. I haven't gotten married but I can't see myself dedicating 132 hours prepping for it as we are only thinking about a very small registry office ceremony.

(sorry for the size!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I know I have always spent more time reading about births than I did for my wedding. Even though I had given birth 5 times before I still read up with no 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What are your thoughts on this?

I did a little reading up for our wedding.
    For the birth of ds and this one I did a lot more! More than they suggest that's for sure.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think its a bit apples and oranges.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your thoughts on this?

Well I got married at the Registry office with my parents as witness.

I think in general it's a fabulous point though, very much one worth making

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think its a bit apples and oranges.

You mean comparing apples and oranges? how so?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sort of a similar....

A very wise midwife told me once that if you were going to run a marathon, you'd prepare for it? You'd read up on training techniques, and and what food to eat and study the route to see where the hard bits and where the easy bits are so you'd be mentally prepared for it. If you told someone that you were just going to try to run and weren't going to make any plans and see what happened, they would try and convince you otherwise.

She then compared this to childbirth in terms of being emotionally and physically exhausting and how you should educate yourself on where those hard bits and easy bits are going to be and prepare yourself.

She put it a hell of a lot eloquently then I just did, but it made sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's an ok point but let's not forget its actually an advertisement for a website that sells products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    You mean comparing apples and oranges? how so?
    Well just that the type of 'prep' you do for each is completely different. One is learning a new set of theories and skills (birth) while one is managing an event with lots of variables and different people involved. If I'm learning something new, I sort of tend to go at my own pace, so some things I pick up really quickly, some things i need practical applications for before I get them, some things I need to consult various sources before i feel I understand what it's about. So it's more driven by me and what I need.
    If I'm organising an event it's a whole different story. I might have my end completely organised but people won't meet deadlines, or won't have the stock I need, or don't agree with my ideas. I find at least 50% of event management is dealing with other people's stuff ups. I don't think the time factor can be compared.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Sort of a similar....

A very wise midwife told me once that if you were going to run a marathon, you'd prepare for it? You'd read up on training techniques, and and what food to eat and study the route to see where the hard bits and where the easy bits are so you'd be mentally prepared for it. If you told someone that you were just going to try to run and weren't going to make any plans and see what happened, they would try and convince you otherwise.

She then compared this to childbirth in terms of being emotionally and physically exhausting and how you should educate yourself on where those hard bits and easy bits are going to be and prepare yourself.

She put it a hell of a lot eloquently then I just did, but it made sense
    This comparison I like a lot more