+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How to politely decline listeria foods?

Well I'm not following the listeria food list guidelines and I get judged and told off all the time.
    My colleagues looked at me as if I had been doing cocaine when I told them I had a sushi the other day.

I would never dream of judging anyone on their food/drink choice ever, pregger or not. Who cares?! Whatever floats your boat, it's your body, your choice
    Some ppl have just nothing better to do than judge or comment on stuff that have no impact on them :-/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

jellybeanicecream  (02-12-2012),jess1992  (01-12-2012),SassyMummy  (01-12-2012),ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How to politely decline listeria foods?

Mayos are usually high is fat, sugar and salt.. So a health kick should work I agree with trying to take along a plate of something you can eat

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    If it was a dinner party with close friends I would have told them. If they weren't people you're close to I probably would have just done the same as you or said something like "I've had a horrible tummy bug recently and at the moment all I can seem to tolerate is really plain food" and then just eaten some bread (if served) and maybe a little potato or veggies/salad if available.

It sucks doesn't it!
    This is a good way of going about it. If someone rejected my food because of a health kick I would feel a bit put out that they wouldn't even eat a little.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Best ones when you have not said your pregnant yet is that you are trying being a vegetarian or even better a vegan - gets you out of cold meats/chicken/mayo based salads and you can bring your own food!

Best ones when they know you are pregnant is that the pregnancy has turned you off all food and all you can stomach lately is bread and bland food

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How to politely decline listeria foods?

I'm actually going to be faced with this problem tomorrow night. I'm going to my mum's for dinner and haven't told her yet because of a previous mc, so I'm waiting until Christmas before telling anyone.

She told me tonight that she purchased a cooked chicken from woolies today for dinner tomorrow night. Other then the pregnancy she knows everything about me, so I've been wracking my brain for ideas! I might just have to tell her, but I was going to get her something "grand motherly" for Christmas to break the news to her, and I'd be disappointed if I couldn't do that...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

What are you going to do Disbride?

Maybe pack your plate as per normal - ie as if not UTD - then just be busy talking etc and play around with the food.

I think it's the same than with alcohol. Ppl start asking question if you refuse a drink. But if you accept it they don't check whether you drink it or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone knows I'm pregnant now but most of my DF's family don't understand me not wanting to eat certain things. They're not really rude, just say things like "Oh you don't really have to worry about that stuff." Which is still kind of annoying because its my choice and I do feel like I'm being judged.

Anyway we are having Christmas with them this year and its probably going to be a whole lot of prawns, cold hams, etc etc so in order to avoid a situation where I can't eat anything, I'm going to make some stuff myself to take with me.

Thanks
    Reviews

You can eat cooked cold meats as long as they are heated to steaming. MIL was having woolworths chicken and I just said I didn't like it cold and microwaved it. I'd be avoiding the mayo though and pavlova. Work Functions is harder though you could say you've already eaten. As with alcohol pretend to drink or ask for a soft drink say your having a big day tomorrow. There is always a way around it

Thanks
    Reviews

When ppl make comments about " oh don't be silly, just eat it, we ate everything in my day and our kids were fine" I got so sick of it and now I say: well 30 years ago pregnant women also smoked, are you going to tell me that's safe too?? Sometimes I slip in a comment about the infant mortality rate being higher in their day and if they knew the facts they wouldn't be saying that.
    Yes I became a smart a$$ because it annoyed me so much.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just tell people I just don't like that or since I've been pregnant I've just gone off food! Saves those conversations