+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to politely decline listeria foods?

Hey everyone,

Last week we went to a dinner party at a friend's house and literally everything on the menu was a listeria risk food!

They served:
    • soft cheese platter to start
    • cold chicken
    • potato salad with homemade mayonaise, containing raw egg
    • then an undercooked pavlova!
    It put me in a very awkward position. I didn't know what to do, whether to be polite and eat the food, or rude and say "I'm sorry but I can't eat any of this." I was 10 weeks pregnant then so we hadn't announced I was pregnant.

In the end I just picked at a bit of potato salad and really hoped I didn't get listeria.

What are you doing when you are offered listeria foods, particularly by people who don't know you're pregnant?

I have lots of work Xmas functions at the moment with alcohol, sushi, cheese etc and it's all getting a bit awkward. 12 week scan is next Friday so hopefully we can announce after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How to politely decline listeria foods?

Say your on a health kick

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep health kick is good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel you. I'm 11 weeks and so haven't announced yet. But to make it worse, when listeria type foods are served at family events, my SIL who is also pregnant (and doesn't believe that listeria is a risk) says 'oh, just eat it. You'll be fine.' annoys me sooooo much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

If it was a dinner party with close friends I would have told them. If they weren't people you're close to I probably would have just done the same as you or said something like "I've had a horrible tummy bug recently and at the moment all I can seem to tolerate is really plain food" and then just eaten some bread (if served) and maybe a little potato or veggies/salad if available.

It sucks doesn't it!

Thanks
    Reviews

I feel like my mum thinks I'm being dramatic when I say "no thanks, I shouldn't eat that" just because my sister who has 2 kids didn't follow any of the guidelines when she was pregnant. At mums it seriously doesn't bother me to have a Vegemite sandwich if they're having something I can't have for lunch like ham and salad sandwiches, or I'll just boil myself an egg and have that on a sandwich with some salad, and even though I don't care in the slightest that they're eating it, I do sometimes feel a bit like they're judging me for not eating ham. In future just ask if you can pop the chicken in the microwave, then at least that's something that will fill you up that's safe :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How to politely decline listeria foods?

I've had similar 'judgmental' problems from a friend who basically scoffs at me any time I say I shouldn't eat something. With her first she didn't find out til she was 6 months in so had been eating what she wanted drinking plenty etc and assumes that because her son turned out fine means that its okay for everyone to eat what they want and have the occasional glass of wine!
    I hate being judged for stuff like this, just because I have done more research into what is and isn't healthy for me!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't it amazing how you're expected to never judge them on eating listeria type foods when pregnant, and no one says anything to them, yet they're the first to comment on your choices. And I even know someone who contracted listeria! Her baby was born early and in bottom 7th percentile for weight!
    Sorry to derail op! I usually just push food around my Plate and eat lots of bread and dry biscuits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Be warned OP - these judgments will continue the whole way! People always scoff at me wen I say 'sorry, can't eat that at the moment'. They tell me I'm overreacting, wasn't an issue 30yrs ago blah blah

I just respond saying although the risk is small, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to my baby because I couldn't go without soft cheese/ham etc for 9mths of my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think, "health kick," might not work, because chances are they'll sometimes be healthy foods you're offered, just not ones that are considered "safe," when you're pregnant. They might think, "Um... but it's a basic salad?" IYKWIM

Perhaps it's always a good idea to bring along a dish you can eat too... and put some of the other stuff on your plate, but just don't really eat it... look like you are... then say you're full.

I don't have to say no to food because I'm pregnant, but I've had an operation that I don't want to have to explain to every single person I encounter (a large portion of my stomach was removed... some foods make me ill, and I can't eat very much in a sitting at all), so I just mostly do that... put food on my plate (no an excessive amount, but enough), and pick at it, chat a lot, then go and clear my plate as soon as I can, and bring a plate to share, because I know it's something that's not going to make me feel ill.