+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Random thing I was wondering about

On Friday I took DS to the outdoor pool for the first time all year. It took me a while to find his rash vest because i never bother putting one on him for the indoor pool, as there's no sun. But I've noticed nearly everyone else does put their kids in rash vests at the indoor pool. Why?? What am I missing here?
    Enlightenment, please

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I do for my 18month old cos she still wears a swim nappy and it's easier to have it on then just change her nappy at the pool. But I know others who do just so they don't need 2 swim costumes...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Random thing I was wondering about

Depending on age, some children have poor self image and will wear a rashie to cover themselves and hide from judgement. Newborns/babies, however, I think have something to do with parents believing that its more respectful to cover them up... Not 100% sure, but also some swim schools have a policy in babies classes to ensure they are wearing them whether indoor or outdoor

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mainly because they end up shivering a lot without it. They dont regulate their temps very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also because I want DD2 to wear it all the time so we don't distinguish between indoor pools and the beach (which is our outdoor pool). DD1 chooses to wear it sometimes unless she has lessons when she finds it too restrictive. DS1 refuses to wear any sort of bathers at all so is just in a swim nappy (which frustrates me as he has such cute bathers )

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by P0tat0gem View Post
    Mainly because they end up shivering a lot without it. They dont regulate their temps very well.
    I find the opposite to be true. The rash suits stay wet so they make DS really cold, whereas in speedos his skin can quickly dry off.

FL I wonder the same thing actually. DS and DD wear regular bathers at indoor pools, I save the rashies for the beach or outdoor pool.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Random thing I was wondering about

My kids wear them because that's all I buy. I suppose my dd could wear her bikini top and bottoms but she never likes the tops.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

DD would get cold at swim lessons (indoor heated pool) so she would wear a long sleeve rashee, swim nappy and little swimmers over the rashee/nappy so she was easier to hold in the water. It kept her warm as there were no cold breezes etc. she started swimming at 4 months. Now she is 14 months she doesn't get cold so just wears a swim nappy and swimsuit over the top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Maybe it's just habit? Or if they're little, maybe it's to provide more coverage (say, all they have is a bottom and rashie... so they use the rashie indoors too so they're not topless)?

I don't make DD wear a rashie indoors, but she does wear her rashie over regular swimwear, not as the top part of her swimwear...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

I do it because out of habit, plus we go to the beach a lot and I want my kids to be used to wearing costumes that cover their skin. My son even wears his matching swimming hat to the indoor pool where my daughter has swimming lessons.