+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Does anyone know a centrelink cheat who has actually been caught??

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    You might be thinking of the child care benefit which just about anyone can get the CCR is for working/studying parents
    Oh thanks, I don't work or use cc so I wasn't sure. I just know several people that don't work put their children in cc a day or two a week mentioning getting a reduced fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone know a centrelink cheat who has actually been caught??

I don't know any cheats per se but my friend had fill out so many forms and go through a ton of interviews when she split from her live-in baby daddy because he didn't move out. She gets the SPP because technically she's single. They aren't in a relationship so that's fair.... However he has a high paying job and she wants for nothing. So I'm not thrilled about that.
    She became pregnant 30 weeks ago... It's his, however it's a medical pregnancy I suppose, as the baby was conceived using his donor sperm and AI methods. She had to submit so many medical records, etc, to CL to prove that they aren't a couple and that the baby was not conceived out of 'love'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I accidentally ended up with a centrelink debt- though technically it was my mothers debt.
    I started working, but my mum was getting Youth Allowance for me as those days FTB replaced by YA at 16- I didn't realise because I wasn't seeing a cent of the Youth Allowance except in having a roof over my head and basic food on the table. Therefore, I accumulated a debt, and had to pay back $4,000 a few years later (like 4 years later).
    I wasn't dobbed in, it was just data matching through my tax file number.
    As I stated though, I was just naive and didn't realise that the money my mum was getting was in my name. I paid it back as soon as I could, it was just a few weeks before I had DD that I got the letter informing me of the discrepancy- Not great timing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    when i was in high school my mum's boss got caught out by centrelink and ATO, so to get out of trouble she dobbed in all her employees (it was a cash business). A lot of her employees got in trouble for not declaring income and for lying about being single mum's. Also some others including mum got in trouble because the boss lied about their hours/annual wage ( including faking her accounting books, but it couldn't be proven).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've known lots of cheats, but none that got caught. A vast majority were partnered couples on decent incomes that were claiming SPP and FTB they weren't entitled to.

I have only ever dobbed in one cheat. Her husband worked several jobs but she liked to spend. So she said they had seperated and got SPP defending it by saying they were struggling I dobbed her in after she was bragging about all these purchases she made (so much for struggling??) and told me I should do the same.

CL did squat and actually gave them notice they were coming around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does anyone know a centrelink cheat who has actually been caught??

I've known a few people who had to repay amounts received in error. I don't know anyone who would bother lying. Why go through all the effort of filling in a million forms when there's a risk you might be caught and have to pay it all back anyway? Sounds like too much effort to me.

2plus3equals6 is offline impatiently waiting TTC miracle number 4
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a couple who claimed they were single sharing a house for a decade or so plus claimed other payments (not sure which) but all up over the years ended up close to $100,000 they got caught when CL investigated their first childs birth and people dobbing them in, whole thing went to court and she only avoided jail over it because she was pregnant with number 2 and they have to pay it all back via reduced payments. They both don't work and he for one NEVER will get a job cause he doesn't want one (straight out tells people this fact), she wants one but since he doesn't have one he needs company so doesn't work, their kids are 8 and older so in school 5 days a week, no excuse to bludge deliberately but they get away with it.

Also know centrelink DO check up on people, I had them turn up unannounced when my first son was born (showed ID and waited happily for me to call and confirm who they were before letting them in) as I was a single mum and legitimately claimed I didn't know birth father (was a one night stand) and that I was living with my parents they came in had a chat to confirm details looked in my room and my parents room (nothing invasive, just a quick look in room to establish I was not sharing with a partner or anything) they could clearly see a single bed and cot in my room and a QS bed in my parents room and no bed in sewing room. so they left, whole thing lasted 5 minutes and was a case of nothing to hide no problem BUT THEY DO CHECK!

I have dobbed on someone before as well they were claiming they were single (on PPS) when they had a partner lived with them and both were working, they were investigated and it was repaid, she complained to me about them catching her out not knowing I had reported her.
    Last edited by 2plus3equals6; 01-12-2012 at 23:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FindMyLunch View Post
    I accidentally ended up with a centrelink debt- though technically it was my mothers debt.
    I started working, but my mum was getting Youth Allowance for me as those days FTB replaced by YA at 16- I didn't realise because I wasn't seeing a cent of the Youth Allowance except in having a roof over my head and basic food on the table. Therefore, I accumulated a debt, and had to pay back $4,000 a few years later (like 4 years later).
    I wasn't dobbed in, it was just data matching through my tax file number.
    As I stated though, I was just naive and didn't realise that the money my mum was getting was in my name. I paid it back as soon as I could, it was just a few weeks before I had DD that I got the letter informing me of the discrepancy- Not great timing!
    I don't understand this one. If you didn't receive it that would mean that it went into your mother's account therefore it's your mother that would have needed to pay it back not you. She would also would have been done for fraud being as how she was collecting a benefit under another name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Does anyone know a centrelink cheat who has actually been caught??

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I have no idea why people bother doing this, one of the best things about having an adequate income is NOT having to deal with centrelink!
    Amen to that! I hate dealing with centrelink, but am grateful for it. The day we ever own enough to not have to need the family tax payments will be a happy day for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I know someone who is claiming childcare rebate when they're not working or studying. Apparently you don't even have to prove you are studying? I don't know. But I wouldn't dob them in.
    I had to prove I was studying to get it... hand over a bunch of paperwork to verify I was studying the required amount of hours.