+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone know a centrelink cheat who has actually been caught??

I ask this as we know a family who blatantly cheat centrelink and brag about it, they have been dobbed in by a few different people now and nothing has ever come of it??
    A bit of background, a couple with 3 children, dad has a low income wage, declares his wage and pays tax. Mum owns and runs her own business so therefore doesn't declare a wage at all but earns very good money.
    Because of this they get the maximum family assistance, child care benefit, health care card etc..
    The reason this annoys me so much is because they clearly don't need it, both come from well off famillies who have helped them buy a million dollar house which is now being renovated, they take numerous holidays during the year, and have just bought a new car!!
    I know I'm being petty and it should bother me but it really annoys me that people who obviously don't need the money rort the system and nothing gets done!

So does anyone actually know anyone who got caught or is reporting this fraud a waste of time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do BIL SIL but they dobbed themselfs in as they felt bad and are still paying it back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's very honest of them, I doubt these people would ever do that!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I knew a couple who claimed they had separated & that she had 2 if the kids living with her and the other two were with him. They got caught on that occasion.

While paying back that debt, they did it again, but this time she fell pregnant with child #5. I know at least 3 people dobbed them in after that, but I don't know what happened as I cut ties shortly after hitting submit on the 'Dob in a dole cheat' form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. She had to pay it all back and a fine to avoid jail time.

However, from the brief description of your 'friends' it doesn't actually sound like they are 'cheating' the system. Do I agree with the fact that they can get assistance? NO. However, if she is running her own business her taxable income would be minimal, so based on the figures from her and her husbands taxable incomes they would actually be 'entitled'. Which is why even though they've been dobbed in nothing has happened. They probably aren't actually breaking the law. As an ex accountant I used to see this a lot. Tax structures set up that allowed families maximum benefits, they definitely didn't need the money, but they were by the law/requirements entitled to it. Doesn't make it fair in my mind but it's how it works.

In the area we live in we have a lot of families who's father spend time away at work. They have Single Mens Quarters living in the mining towns and thus a permanent address. They spend more than 50% of their time AWAY from the mothers permanent address so mum becomes entitled to single mothers benefits and 'child support' ..... these fathers earn good money and the families don't NEED the benefits, however by the letter of the law, they meet the criteria of the entitlement.

It sucks I agree.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PR2bMum For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup. Huge cheats, claimed they had split up so mum was getting single parenting pension + everything else for 6 kids. Mean while dad well over 200k a year.Eta they got caught and had to pay it all back plus a fine I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, gosh that does suck!!! To have so many assets and still be entitled to so much, makes me angry

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

The fraud team might still be investigating. It's a very long process and they have to collate a lot of information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

I wasn't the one to dob them in (as I didn't even know they were doing it) but they found a job but decided not to tell centrelink...so were earning a full time wage plus getting a centrelink payment. Not sure how they got caught but not only did centrelink find out but her employer did too..lost her job and centrelink payments.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have no idea why people bother doing this, one of the best things about having an adequate income is NOT having to deal with centrelink!

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (03-12-2012),cluckcluck  (01-12-2012),delirium  (01-12-2012),Happy2be3  (02-12-2012),jagamoe  (24-02-2013),Laydeebugxxx  (01-12-2012),LoveLivesHere  (01-12-2012),peanutmonkey  (01-12-2012),PR2bMum  (01-12-2012),Ruby_Tuesday15  (01-12-2012),Veve  (02-12-2012)