+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming lessons

I started ds at swimming lessons at around 7 months which went for a term and he loved it. During the cooler months we stopped and then I went back to work so it's only been rrecently that we have stated lessons again(hes17 months now). Since returning he hates it, he clings on to me for dear life and just can not wait to get out. I hate seeing him like this, should I continue tto take him to get use to the water or should I just wait until he's older????? My fear is the older he gets the harder it will be to get him confident of the water

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swimming lessons

Push through it cause it won't last. My youngest was the same he started at 18 months and screamed throughout two lessons, balled through two more, whinged through another two and now laughs through them all and he is 2.2yrs and ace !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Swimming lessons

It will get better My boys would scream at swimming lessons when we started, now I cant get them out!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming lessons

I agree with the others. Persevere. My son hated swimming lessons and used to scream, especially if I put him under. He still doesn't love it but he laughs and splashes now. He is 2.

I think it's important to persist because you're right, if you don't, it's harder to get them into the water when they're older. We have a couple of 3 & 4 year olds in our class, and they hate it and are further behind on skills than the 16 month old in my class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others try and push through it as I have two kids and when I had the second one my 18mth old (at the time) didn't get back into swimming lessons until 27months and it was worse as he was without me and just the teacher on his own but after 3 lesson's screaming, he now loves it. He has learnt a lot of new skills.

I did the same as you took him out because of winter but next year I'm going to try and keep him in.

My youngest (now 1) was the same but now is is doing really well as I started to go in instead of DH on the clingy swimming days but now he is fine with DH too and doing great, closing his mouth when he goes under, swimming towards the toy, crawling on the mat. Its hard seeing them upset I know but it won't last, maybe 3 weeks max.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Swimming lessons

I think just keep persisting. DD2 did swimming lessons at 6 months, then stopped. Then again at 18 months and bawled. Finally got used to it and I stopped again. Then again at 3 and was upset again although I could reason with her this time. Usually just takes a few weeks and they are fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a hard decision. I have been there twice OP.

With DD#1, she used to scream and hated it but we thought it was important. We did decide to delay until 3yrs for lessons because she was so scared but she really didn't like the water and hadn't got over it by then. It was hard but one thing I did do was ask that the teacher didn't force her to put her face under etc. (There was some teachers who gave them no choice and dunked them) She did eventually stop screaming but she was always quite scared. She did eventually get over her fear but it took years for her to be comfortable with swimming.

Then just when I thought no one could be worse than DD#1 when it came to the fear of water along came DD#2. LOL She SCREAMED and you could hear her from really far away. We persisted though with the gently approach again. She stopped crying about it though once she had confidence that the teacher wasn't going to make her do anything she was really scared of. Until jumps in that is and then she would scream again. She finally got over her fear when she was about 7yrs. She had started lessons just before she turned 3yrs so it took a very long time. But even though she had stopped screaming she was a very nervous swimmer and has only really got over that maybe 6 months ago.

For us I think if we had delayed it, then the fear wouldn't have gone away and we would have just had the same problem when they were older.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Swimming lessons

Hi I agree.. Keep persevering. I started by DS at 6 months & like u stopped in the winter months. He got older & developed that fear. He's now 4 1/2 & I'm still having terrible trouble with him learning to swim. My DD is 17 months & loves her swimming lessons, only started her this term, but I won't be stopping during winter this time. So important for them to learn how to swim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your reply's. I took him to the local pool today for just a splash and he loved it. Fingers crossed for future swimming lessons.