+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby starting to wake during the night again

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them & if so any advice.

My dd is 11 weeks old & she started sleeping through the night when she was 5/6 weeks old..

she used to go down at night at around 8.30/9.30 & wake from anywhere from 4-6.30..

But about 2 weeks ago she started to toss & turn & make loud grunting noises in her sleep at 2.30 (i think she was half asleep as her eyes were closed & she didn't look awake)

I thought she would settle herself & go back to sleep but she didn't so I gave her a feed.

This has been happening now every night.
    Is it just a phase babies go through at this age?

Any advice would be appreciated if there are any other mums are going through the same or have gone through it.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Growth spurt maybe? Theres meant to be one at 12 weeks I think.

Was she a premie baby? I ask as babies go through a 4 month (16 week) sleep regression where the can start to wake more at night.

If your baby was early, perhaps she is going through it now.

How does she go to sleep? Do you feed her, rock her in your arms or does she self settle?

One thing about putting babies to sleep is that it's best that they fall asleep where they are going to wake up, so if you are feeding or rocking to sleep then placing her in her cot/basinette it could contribute to her night waking.

On one hand I know it's frustrating that she was sleeping through and now isn't but at 11 weeks, for her to be waking up only once a night is still much less than most babies of that age, so you could just ride it out and continue putting her to sleep the way you are now, there's nothing wrong with her waking at night for a feed.

Your other option is to start putting her down in her cot/basinette awake and sitting with her and patting her to sleep as you make a shushing noise until she falls asleep. She is too young for controlled crying, so this is the best option if you no longer want to feed or rock to sleep (that is if that's what you're currently doing.)

This method was taught to me by child and youth health so it's ok to use with a baby of 11 weeks (we started at 9 weeks).

Another thing is to have a good night time routine that you stick to each night so that she knows that after her bath, feed, book, song for example that she needs to go to sleep next. If you are consistent, it will mean the time you spend shushing and patting her to sleep will progressively get shorter and shorter until she is able to self settle.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Babies always mix it up... My niece slept through at 6 weeks and doesn't anymore (at 7 months). My DD was no where near sleeping through at 6 weeks and now sleeps better than my niece (sleeps through mostly). I still think your bubs is doing well

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi
    She wasnt a premmie,she was 11 days overdue..
    I have a routine with her since she was 2 weeks off bath,bottle & bed & she's goes to bed awake & settles herself off to sleep & has her mobile playing & lights so she likes that.
    Only the odd time she falls asleep when just finished feeding & I wait before putting her down to make sure she's asleep.
    If its a growth spurt that's fine & I don't mind getting up once during the night..it's just a matter of getting back used to it as I had 5/6 full sleep before that lol..
    Cud be just the heat she's getting used to either as I find its very hard to sleep at night even though I've the fan on.
    Thanks for your thoughts on this 😄

Thanks
    Reviews

My first thought was growth spurt babies go through a growth spurt at 12 weeks so your DD is spot on

Thanks
    Reviews

Ah..that's good to know..
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Honestly, I wouldn't be getting her up and feeding her unless she is actually awake. She may well be waking, but if she's just making noise, I'd leave her alone - obviously if you think she actually is awake and needing you, then go for it. But I used to jump up to my ds as soon as he made any noise and it turned out that I was stopping him from resettling himself lol!

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with squishie. If she's not actually crying a 'hungry cry' then I would not feed her or attend to her. That sounds mean haha but Babies wake often in the night and will often resettle themselves, if given the chance.
    Obviously you know the noises of your own child ....but if she is just grunting etc I don't think that's a noise saying " mummy I need you" iykwim?

Thanks
    Reviews

It's not really a lot of crying from her..it's hard to describe..it's more like she's just whinging..but she does it a lot & it's hard to go back to sleep so I end up just lying in bed wondering should I leave her be or see if she's hungry..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes. Babies that sleep thru will wake up overnight due to too hot/cold, teething, illness, growth spurts, separation anxiety, TT, traveling or even just the plain ole night terrors.