+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default From co-sleeping to cot.. Help

I need help / tips on getting my 2 month old into the her cot, the problem I have is we have co-slept as her room was extremely hot and we have been waiting to get AC done in her room and she always finds comfort in suckling to sleep or laying on me while sleeping through the day.

I tried to get her down this afternoon in her cot which ended in on and off crying for an hour and half, I tried everything to settle her, dummy (she wouldn't take it) patting her back, shhhing, left her for a little while to see if she would settle herself, picked her up to put her on the boob - which helped settle her but as soon as I put her back in the cot she started crying not long after.
    I ended up picking her up as I thought an hour and a half was getting a bit to long and now she is currently asleep laying on me (I know I need to get her out of this habit but as soon as I get up to put her down that isn't my bed she cries)
    I understand it may be a slow process but any advice would be great, thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews

It is possible (do you have the room) to put the cot next to your bed, with one side off? This could be a transition where she's next you but in her cot....

Then next step put cot side on so she's completely separate but in your room and then move the cot to her room. By this time she'll be used to sleeping in the cot and may adjust more easily to the separate room....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (30-11-2012),trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't worry about bad habits just yet it's completely normal for a two month old to want to sleep close to their mummy. I have one side off my cot and pushed up to my bed as mentioned above for night time as I still co sleep with our two year old. I would just have bub (3 months old) in my bed if I didn't have my toddler in there.

I've never been able to put my babies down in a cot and they just fall asleep! I just let them sleep where ever when they are little. Yes it sucks when you have so much to do and a bub who wants to sleep on you but it doesn't last forever. It does get easier as they get older.

I say go with the flow and don't stress about 'bad habits'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-12-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    another 'go with the flow' person here.
    I also found Elizabeth Pantleys advice on setting toe be great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

When I was transitioning my son, I did it with a bassinet. One of us would rock the bassinet so he would know we were there. Then we used to put him in bassinet but not rock, but stay near him, then we put him in and leave, then into his cot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies.. I do have room to put out cot next to our bed so I might talk to hubby and see what he thinks.

The main reason I would like her in her cot is because we are only have a queen bed and my back is starting to get very sore otherwise I'd be happy to have her in with us forever lol.
    I also want to make sure that she is able to eventually settle on her own as at the moment it's impossible for her to settle without laying down feeding her to sleep or holding her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    When I was transitioning my son, I did it with a bassinet. One of us would rock the bassinet so he would know we were there. Then we used to put him in bassinet but not rock, but stay near him, then we put him in and leave, then into his cot.
    She doesn't like her bassinet anymore when she does sleep in there it's for only an hr then she will be up crying- it's second hand and I the mattress isn't great do I think that's the issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: From co-sleeping to cot.. Help

Setting up the cot as a sidecar is good way to transition. Except I tend to cuddle my babies like teddy bears so I forget to move them onto their own mattress. But if my missy moo (nearly 9 months) is still a cosleeper over summer I might get something like a sidecar going because it's pretty hot and sticky snuggling and we don't have air con.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We co slept til 4 months til we were both happy to sleep apart . I was scared he would get used to me but he hates sleeping with me and loves his cot. Go with the flow

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: From co-sleeping to cot.. Help

have you tried putting a piece of your clothing like a top you wore yesterday underneath her while she sleeps or even buy something that projects light and music on the roof for her to look at

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub